• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

And Felipe should play anyway so have no problem with that.  Davis simply hasn't been good enough with the ball to warrant starting.  He'll get his chances again, but as of now it should be Adams.  To be honest, it should probably always be Adams considering another year or two will go by and he'll be the best player on the field.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

BWP-Gully

Sasha-Davis

Felipe-Adams

DEFENSE

Davis has good motor, skill on the ball, passing skills and can shoot.  We've seen him do all those things before.  Free him up from some of his defensive duties and lets see what he can do closer to goal.  He's a #8.  Not a #6.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

BWP-Gully
Sasha-Davis
Felipe-Adams
DEFENSE

Davis has good motor, skill on the ball, passing skills and can shoot.  We've seen him do all those things before.  Free him up from some of his defensive duties and lets see what he can do closer to goal.  He's a #8.  Not a #6.

Yes please - Royer has been off. Let him come on later with Myul

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I'm not crazy about taking Royer off.  He was only off this past game.  

And Davis' main weakness is his passing and overall offensive play so I wouldn't be crazy about moving him up the field either. The one thing I do like about Davis offensively is that he has a good shot and is willing to take it.  Especially considering we have so few guys willing to do so.

Davis' strengths are winning the ball, and diagnosing plays.  He's actually not all that different than Dax exepct he's much stronger, not quite as good at intercepting balls, and not quite as good with that first pass.

I don't mind Davis.  But at this point, I think Adams is so good that he has to play.  And Davis will get plenty of minutes anyway.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

And Davis' main weakness is his passing and overall offensive play so I wouldn't be crazy about moving him up the field either. The one thing I do like about Davis offensively is that he has a good shot and is willing to take it.  Especially considering we have so few guys willing to do so.

Davis' strengths are winning the ball, and diagnosing plays.  He's actually not all that different than Dax exepct he's much stronger, not quite as good at intercepting balls, and not quite as good with that first pass.

I don't mind Davis.  But at this point, I think Adams is so good that he has to play.  And Davis will get plenty of minutes anyway.

Davis is a better passer than he's shown so far this year.

If we stick with the 4-2-2-2, there's no reason Adams, Davis, Felipe, Sacha, Royer can't share minutes this season. Different guy gets a rest every 4-5 games. Davis keeps developing in case Adams moves to Europe. Sacha & Felipe maybe have a little more in the tank come November. Etc..

In the 4-2-3-1, Adams, Davis, FelIpe, Sacha split time in the three midfield positions.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

All of Davis' offensive stats last year matched up well against Dax.  It was his defensive numbers (interceptions, tackles) that lagged, and he's dominating in those this year, showing that he's worked on balancing his game.    Watch for it to all come together when he feels confident in his defense and starts pressing his attack more.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Davis is a better passer than he's shown so far this year.

If we stick with the 4-2-2-2, there's no reason Adams, Davis, Felipe, Sacha, Royer can't share minutes this season. Different guy gets a rest every 4-5 games. Davis keeps developing in case Adams moves to Europe. Sacha & Felipe maybe have a little more in the tank come November. Etc..

In the 4-2-3-1, Adams, Davis, FelIpe, Sacha split time in the three midfield positions.

That reason is called Jesse Marsch. He's already rotated this season more than last season (and subbed earlier) but a lot of it has been forced (Adams over Davis wasn't, and Muyl got an early start after being on the bench v Whitecaps). Let's see what happens when everyone is available for a series of games. I hope and think he will rotate but we can't be certain until it happens.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

The weakness is based on the last few games and doesn't take into account the last year.  Last year he seemed the reverse and people thought he could develop into a # 8 or SK substitute.  Adams is good and Royer has been underwhelming for multiple games.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
Benching Davis now is a mistake. He doesn't look as good going forward this year, but that could be because he's focusing on being better defensively (stats show that's happening) or because there's a little bit of pressure being the replacement for Dax fucking McCarty or both. That pressure wasn't there last year, Dax was coming back. Davis will get over and thrive. Not saying he has to start every game. There's a way to get all these guys minutes.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Benching Davis now is a mistake. He doesn't look as good going forward this year, but that could be because he's focusing on being better defensively (stats show that's happening) or because there's a little bit of pressure being the replacement for Dax fucking McCarty or both. That pressure wasn't there last year, Dax was coming back. Davis will get over and thrive. Not saying he has to start every game. There's a way to get all these guys minutes.

Spot on.  We could also throw Adams at right back from time to time just to get him on the field.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

"As for Davis’ personal growth within the Red Bulls midfield, he said he’s been pleased with his defensive play so far, but knows he needs to improve his attacking prowess.

“Personally, defensively, things have gone pretty well,” he said. “Now it’s just trying to find myself going forward. It takes a lot of running, but I think that’s what I bring to the game. I’m getting more and more comfortable every week. As time goes on, things will continue to improve.”

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Marsch at training today said that Veron is not an option for Houston, but they're eyeing the Orlando game for his return.  Also they're trying another approach to Grella's injury which is a holdover from the playoffs last year.  They're hopeful that 1 month of this new treatment should sort it out.

I'm guessing this means a steady dose of Royer and Muyl for a while.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

To be honest, based on what he said about Grella, I'm very worried.  He said the docs think it may be a defect at the end of his femur which suggests no big reason to believe that it's going to get much better.  I'm guessing surgery is an option but you have to imagine any surgery with that is going to take him out a while.

Grella would be a loss for us... I like that he's a very different player from a lot of the guys.  

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

To be honest, based on what he said about Grella, I'm very worried.  

I'm not optimistic either. Anyway...sounds like it's 1 month right now. We have other options and it's early in the season. Ettiene needs minutes. Royer and Muyl always put forth the effort and have impacted games for us in the past. Zizzo is an assist machine so he could be moved up. Davis could play higher with Adams behind him. Sasha is coming back. Veron should be ready in 1-2 weeks.

We have tons of options.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

To be honest, based on what he said about Grella, I'm very worried.  He said the docs think it may be a defect at the end of his femur which suggests no big reason to believe that it's going to get much better.  I'm guessing surgery is an option but you have to imagine any surgery with that is going to take him out a while.

Grella would be a loss for us... I like that he's a very different player from a lot of the guys.  

I'm not optimistic either. Anyway...sounds like it's 1 month right now. We have other options and it's early in the season. Ettiene needs minutes. Royer and Muyl always put forth the effort and have impacted games for us in the past. Zizzo is an assist machine so he could be moved up. Davis could play higher with Adams behind him. Sasha is coming back. Veron should be ready in 1-2 weeks.

We have tons of options.

Yea, could hurt us in the short term (regular season). Now though, any minutes that would have gone to Grella will go to the likes of Etienne, Gulfbrandsen, Veron.

And maybe, unlike Mike, one of those can develop into a threat that could actually do something in the playoffs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users