660 replies to this topic

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
These guys (as well as some cut from the first team) could still be re-signed for next season, right?

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • Supports:Metro
They would have noted it

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

I would have kept Fala and Corfe. I thought Fala did a great job going from a forward to center back and Corfe, when he got the chance to play, has the high soccer IQ.

Fala has been playing with FC MoTown as a forward.

Dieye (first round draft pick) showed flashes but reminded me of Dane Richards in almost every possible way and the "kick the ball, then burn defender with speed" no longer works at the pro level. Still would have liked to see how he progressed with another season.

I also thought former academy players, Samad Bounthong and Barry Sharifi played well enough for another season, but enough academy kids that can play those positions. Admittedly, having watched a lot of academy games, I have a tendency to think all the kids that stood out at a young age are going to be able to make the jump to the pro level, which typically halts at the USL level.

I agree with a lot of what you said.

My theory for the RB2 side has always been first of all you obviously need bodies but beyond that if there isnt really any hope of them making the MLS roster, I would rather just start putting in academy guys to see who possibly could make that jump.

I am fine with drafting guys and seeing what they can do at RB2 but like you said earlier almost none of the draft picks survive 2 years so I dont think we should ever trade up or trade any assets GAM/TAM whatever to move up.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Overall here is my assessment

Roster decisions:

Options Exercised: Jake Lacava, - One of the few bright spots on the team last year. I am worried about him being undersized but he's very young and might reach 6 2 and fill out a bit more. Hope he gets chances at ST and wide forward as I think he could be decent at either.

Omar Sowe - We were never going to axe him being the hometown kid. Same issues with LaCava, hope he can fill out needs to work on technical ability and hold up play but could be tried as a winger/attacking mid.

Options Declined: Wallis Lapsley - Anyone who read this 2020 version of this thread knew I wanted this guy gone after the second game, just not good enough. Really hope someones talks to this smart person and tells him to go into science we clearly need more people with Global Disease Biology degrees right now..., if not his level looks about USL League 1

Roy Boateng, - What an epic fail by Hamlett, id rather hamlett get axed than boateng but whatever. Just unable to stay fit and when he did, looked decent enough but not good enough on the ball or in the air. My guess is he finds a home somewhere in USL, he still could be a good player but if were looking at 21ish for the first team he's way to old for RB2.

Preston Kilwien, - Had a better year than Boateng but just didnt really kick on, at 24 now too old for RB2 but I think he can find a home in USL somewhere.

Edgardo Rito, - Undoubtedly regressed in 2020, after a great 2019. I still wish it was him playing instead of Bucky in the playoff game in 2019... He will probably go back to Venezuela and play but he could compete at USL level if he wants to stay in the US.

Joe Fala, - First one I wish we kept instead of let go of. At 6 foot 7, and 22 years old I dont understand not giving the guy one more year of RB coaching to see if we can get a player out of him. A college ST we tried at CB and LB and he looked decent at both. I wish we tried him at DMid but to me this is a big disappointment and if guy like this was involved in a more robust coaching set up instead of college there is for sure a MLS player there. I hope he doesnt give up and keeps playing soccer somewhere with a good coaching set up and a strong pipeline for integration in 1st team.

Deri Corfe, - Another one I would have kept. Spent 6 years in Man Citys academy, very solid technical ability. I think he was different to the flyers we had on the roster at winger, more of a technical one. 22 years old I dont understand not giving him one more year to see what he can do. Could stay and find a home at USL level or maybe go back to England maybe play non-league in 6/7th tier.

Cherif Dieye,- 15th overall draft pick and not even given 2 years at USL level. Im not sure how i felt about him, didnt really impress me and since he got cut must have not impressed the staff either. A decent winger / forward, needs to improve decision making and tactical sense but in a system with not a lot of those responsibilities could be a USL player.

Samad Bounthong, - Just didnt have the physicals to make it at this level, not enough technical ability to make up for it. Maybe USL 1 level, or again id tell him to use the degree.

Barry Sharifi, - Has physicals but just not enough technical ability, USL1 player.

Sebastian Elney - Injury bug got him but I was always unimpressed when he did play. Probably still a USL guy for someone if he wants.

Zajec in negotiations. - Really hope we bring back, our season collapsed without him, he went up a lot in my eyes as you could see how lost out CM was without him.

Luca Lewis likely 3rd keeper for MLS team.

Overall really not sure how were going to fill out this roster. I hope maybe there will be better protocols this year for Corona so we can have guys go up and down easier. The draft hasnt really been too helpful recently but I imagine we still pick up a few guys to fill out this roster. My guess is with the first team in shambles too we dont have a solid clue what the team will look like until March.

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Overall here is my assessment

Roster decisions:

Options Exercised: Jake Lacava, - One of the few bright spots on the team last year. I am worried about him being undersized but he's very young and might reach 6 2 and fill out a bit more. Hope he gets chances at ST and wide forward as I think he could be decent at either.

Omar Sowe - We were never going to axe him being the hometown kid. Same issues with LaCava, hope he can fill out needs to work on technical ability and hold up play but could be tried as a winger/attacking mid.

Options Declined: Wallis Lapsley - Anyone who read this 2020 version of this thread knew I wanted this guy gone after the second game, just not good enough. Really hope someones talks to this smart person and tells him to go into science we clearly need more people with Global Disease Biology degrees right now..., if not his level looks about USL League 1

Roy Boateng, - What an epic fail by Hamlett, id rather hamlett get axed than boateng but whatever. Just unable to stay fit and when he did, looked decent enough but not good enough on the ball or in the air. My guess is he finds a home somewhere in USL, he still could be a good player but if were looking at 21ish for the first team he's way to old for RB2.

Preston Kilwien, - Had a better year than Boateng but just didnt really kick on, at 24 now too old for RB2 but I think he can find a home in USL somewhere.

Edgardo Rito, - Undoubtedly regressed in 2020, after a great 2019. I still wish it was him playing instead of Bucky in the playoff game in 2019... He will probably go back to Venezuela and play but he could compete at USL level if he wants to stay in the US.

Joe Fala, - First one I wish we kept instead of let go of. At 6 foot 7, and 22 years old I dont understand not giving the guy one more year of RB coaching to see if we can get a player out of him. A college ST we tried at CB and LB and he looked decent at both. I wish we tried him at DMid but to me this is a big disappointment and if guy like this was involved in a more robust coaching set up instead of college there is for sure a MLS player there. I hope he doesnt give up and keeps playing soccer somewhere with a good coaching set up and a strong pipeline for integration in 1st team.

Deri Corfe, - Another one I would have kept. Spent 6 years in Man Citys academy, very solid technical ability. I think he was different to the flyers we had on the roster at winger, more of a technical one. 22 years old I dont understand not giving him one more year to see what he can do. Could stay and find a home at USL level or maybe go back to England maybe play non-league in 6/7th tier.

Cherif Dieye,- 15th overall draft pick and not even given 2 years at USL level. Im not sure how i felt about him, didnt really impress me and since he got cut must have not impressed the staff either. A decent winger / forward, needs to improve decision making and tactical sense but in a system with not a lot of those responsibilities could be a USL player.

Samad Bounthong, - Just didnt have the physicals to make it at this level, not enough technical ability to make up for it. Maybe USL 1 level, or again id tell him to use the degree.

Barry Sharifi, - Has physicals but just not enough technical ability, USL1 player.

Sebastian Elney - Injury bug got him but I was always unimpressed when he did play. Probably still a USL guy for someone if he wants.

Zajec in negotiations. - Really hope we bring back, our season collapsed without him, he went up a lot in my eyes as you could see how lost out CM was without him.

Luca Lewis likely 3rd keeper for MLS team.

Overall really not sure how were going to fill out this roster. I hope maybe there will be better protocols this year for Corona so we can have guys go up and down easier. The draft hasnt really been too helpful recently but I imagine we still pick up a few guys to fill out this roster. My guess is with the first team in shambles too we dont have a solid clue what the team will look like until March.

I disagree on fala he was never going be a first team and Corfe wasnt a good system fit. They are going use a lot more academy players next year could see 10+ up from the 8 used this season. Some names to watch include Curtis ofori Tj makar roald Mitchell balti Saunders bento Estrella. Plus they are still actively recruiting. Then they probably bring in 4-5 college guys to fill out roster

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

I disagree on fala he was never going be a first team and Corfe wasnt a good system fit. They are going use a lot more academy players next year could see 10+ up from the 8 used this season. Some names to watch include Curtis ofori Tj makar roald Mitchell balti Saunders bento Estrella. Plus they are still actively recruiting. Then they probably bring in 4-5 college guys to fill out roster

thanks for the good helpful comments.  

Yes sounds like they increase use of academy players and focus on developing them more. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,450 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Original NYRBII GK coach, Vadim Kirillov, officially departs. Has MLS experience (with the Crew IIRC). Curious to see his next move.

https://twitter.com/...3297630209?s=19

If Robles needs to get his feet wet...
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
Vadim sucks wont be missed

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,450 posts

Vadim sucks wont be missed

Disagree. You don't stick around for 6 seasons (8 if you include the academy) if you "suck". This isn't DC.

However, it was time for a change. Louro didn't progress to his abilities. Levene, Nuhu, and Lapsley surely weren't moving towards a MLS career.

@CurseofCaricola

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
Longevity doesnt mean he doesnt suck. Its not like rb2 had any real critical oversight when hamlet was in charge. Trust me vadim was not a good coach.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
Wonder if he was involved in the scouting and or drafting Bc if so our GK picks have been awful for a few years now.

Why is he such a bad coach?

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts
Nobody has been developed at that spot either. Hard to defend the guy.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,450 posts

Nobody has been developed at that spot either. Hard to defend the guy.

The more I look at it, the more I tend to agree with Eric. Players either dropped off dramatically and vanished, or have had more success elsewhere.

Santi Castano was refusing US youth call-ups waiting for Colombia to call in 2015. Clear HGP when it happened. Then as NYRBII first starting keeper, he was almost always out of position. Moved to Colombia for a few years playing semi-pro then ended up with the Cosmos before getting waived then spent some time in NISA then got waived again.

Rafi Diaz played a backup role for a few years and got the MLS contract (under sketchy circumstances) in 2017. But has always been a backup here. Now he's been a stud out in Sacramento.

Ryan Meara was/is a MLS GK, but sat behind Robles and Reynish in 2016 so was by default the USL GK.

Evan Louro was a standout in the academy that did enough to get the MLS contract but he looked better with Tampa Bay this year than he did as the NYRBII keeper.

Scott Levene was a backup keeper, but has done better in Memphis than here in that role (helps to have Timmy Howard as your mentor and Tim Mulqueen as coach at the time, who was THo's mentor).

Rashid Nuhu was with our U23s but didn't get much time over current Minnesota GK, Dayne St. Clair. Yet we drafted him and he looked pretty bad. This year he was one of the best keepers in USL1 with Omaha.

Miguel Silva was the first pro player signed to a USL contract that saw zero minutes of play.

Wallis Lapsley entered the 2020 draft as probably the third best GK in the draft behind Lefebvre and Panicco, but dropped to the sixth keeper drafted. One could argue in a normal year he would be learning from the 3rd string keeper (in this case Kendall McIntosh) but due to COVID, Lapsley was thrust into playing and was bad and comparable to Castano.

Our slew of academy keepers that trained/sat the bench with NYRBII over the years have had varying experiences. Alex Bobocea looks good. Ciaran Dalton also shows flashes. Wojciech Gajda went from Hearts in the Scottish PL, to playing 5th division in Poland. Daniel Peluffo-Wiese made the jump to Germany's lower divisions last year. Jury is still out on Sam Ilin, Matthew Frank, Matthew Goodman, Xavier Kennedy, and Francesco Montali. Daniel Di Marco and Andrew Noel also spent some time training with NYRBII.

@CurseofCaricola

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

The more I look at it, the more I tend to agree with Eric. Players either dropped off dramatically and vanished, or have had more success elsewhere.

Santi Castano was refusing US youth call-ups waiting for Colombia to call in 2015. Clear HGP when it happened. Then as NYRBII first starting keeper, he was almost always out of position. Moved to Colombia for a few years playing semi-pro then ended up with the Cosmos before getting waived then spent some time in NISA then got waived again.

Rafi Diaz played a backup role for a few years and got the MLS contract (under sketchy circumstances) in 2017. But has always been a backup here. Now he's been a stud out in Sacramento.

Ryan Meara was/is a MLS GK, but sat behind Robles and Reynish in 2016 so was by default the USL GK.

Evan Louro was a standout in the academy that did enough to get the MLS contract but he looked better with Tampa Bay this year than he did as the NYRBII keeper.

Scott Levene was a backup keeper, but has done better in Memphis than here in that role (helps to have Timmy Howard as your mentor and Tim Mulqueen as coach at the time, who was THo's mentor).

Rashid Nuhu was with our U23s but didn't get much time over current Minnesota GK, Dayne St. Clair. Yet we drafted him and he looked pretty bad. This year he was one of the best keepers in USL1 with Omaha.

Miguel Silva was the first pro player signed to a USL contract that saw zero minutes of play.

Wallis Lapsley entered the 2020 draft as probably the third best GK in the draft behind Lefebvre and Panicco, but dropped to the sixth keeper drafted. One could argue in a normal year he would be learning from the 3rd string keeper (in this case Kendall McIntosh) but due to COVID, Lapsley was thrust into playing and was bad and comparable to Castano.

Our slew of academy keepers that trained/sat the bench with NYRBII over the years have had varying experiences. Alex Bobocea looks good. Ciaran Dalton also shows flashes. Wojciech Gajda went from Hearts in the Scottish PL, to playing 5th division in Poland. Daniel Peluffo-Wiese made the jump to Germany's lower divisions last year. Jury is still out on Sam Ilin, Matthew Frank, Matthew Goodman, Xavier Kennedy, and Francesco Montali. Daniel Di Marco and Andrew Noel also spent some time training with NYRBII.

bobocea is not in the plans and really only got the shot because vadim scouted him when he was young and pushed him up the ranks. Frank I think is not playing soccer anymore. Kennedys wont be a pro and doubt really any of those guys sign. They just brought in a goalie from California for the u-19s and dalton has some potential.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Oh man I remember this kid. Looked like he had great athletic tools but every single time the camera panned over towards our goal my blood pressure would spike and I'd think "why are you over there?!?!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users