227 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

You always send legally required notifications in a manner that is traceable and in a few different methods. You require signature. You make sure there are witnesses. Thats what I mean by "done properly"

You know thats how this is done in MLS? Red Bull and Hamlett have executed more team options than you and I and a third party agreed they did it properly. I hate defending Hamlett and the front office, but theres enough they did wrong to call them out on, Im not going to give them shit that Kaku broke his contract.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

1) Not my primary point, but as far as management (Thelwell/Hamlett) activating the clause, lets not act like it was done properly.  The MLSPA thought Kaku was in the right. 

2) The problem is not management not knowing Kaku would ignore a contract - the problem is that they let it get there in the first place. They had an unhappy player, who did not meet the expectations of the $6 MM transfer they paid, who didn't seem to fit the new coach's style, and who was on 1 more year of contract. How is that ever going to work out well? 

Hindsight 50/50, but they should have sold him to Tijuana. $3mil was fair. Add a sell on percentage if you actually think he was worth more. Cut your losses and move on. He wouldn't appreciate in value on the bench while his contract ticks away. The fact Kaku bolted is unexpected, but Kaku only being worth $3MM right now is probably accurate. 

1. That's literally not how this works. It's the MLSPA's responsibility to represent Kaku's interests. That they argued he was in the right is about as useless as citing the fact that Al Capone's lawyers argued he was innocent.

2. Hard to really say without knowing what the plan was and what discussions with other clubs were like. What we do know is that Kaku's move was formally announced nearly three months before the season opener. That's a shitoad of time to have otherwise resolved it either through a transfer for making the player happy here. For all we know Thelwell had successfully negotiated a Mexican/South American Club up to $7m before all this shit went down.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

On Struber firing, let's hold that thought for now...

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

On Struber firing, let's hold that thought for now...

His value is going up. If they make the playoffs the European suitors will view it like taking a team from certain relegation to mid-table in a matter of weeks. If we go on a massive run all the way to an MLS Cup this season I wont care if he up and bolts.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

His value is going up. If they make the playoffs the European suitors will view it like taking a team from certain relegation to mid-table in a matter of weeks. If we go on a massive run all the way to an MLS Cup this season I wont care if he up and bolts.

Going from "We need to fire the first-year coach" to "the coach is so successful he's going to leave us after one year" in a matter of one month is the perfect encapsulation of this fanbase's paranoia. Which to be fair isn't completely unearned, but still. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
I still want to fire our Owner.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

I think the fact that he was able to turn the season around and (if this continues) makes play-offs, like we have in a dozen years in a row before him, to me means he should be given another chance - hopefully with a better roster. Not sure his value will go up as he caused the team that always makes play-offs to be fighting for their lives just to do what they have done every year for over a decade. However, assuming they can make play-offs, it does show he may not be a complete fuck up, like he looked before starting last play-offs and continuing for half a year this season.

As far as the MLS Cup, let's see if he can complete the turnaround to clinch the play-off spot, and go from there. We are not out of the woods yet.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

I still want to fire our Owner.

This. I've never thought Stuber (or Thelwell for that matter) should be fired. Red Bull (in my view) using NY as simply a development spot is the issue. 

They looked quite composed on Saturday - that is a coach figuring it out in my estimation. Could have been 4-1.   

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Struber finally earned his keep. He was able to get us about to the same place we were last year when he took over and failed in a play-off game. Hoping for a better outcome this time. See you in Philly!

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Struber finally earned his keep. He was able to get us about to the same place we were last year when he took over and failed in a play-off game. Hoping for a better outcome this time. See you in Philly!

Wuh?

He earned his keep by getting us to the same place as last year?

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Wuh?

He earned his keep by getting us to the same place as last year?

Well, after how he messed up last play-offs and first half of the year, I was surprised and glad he turned it around and got us even to the same point Bradley Carnell got us last year. At the very least it appears we did not take a step back, which looked like we are most certainly going to take.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

surprised and glad he turned it around and got us even to the same point Bradley Carnell got us last year.

That could be the scary part.
He has done enough to stave off termination.
Can he do better than the recent mediocrity?
Or do we get another similar year or two?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,139 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

I would guess that will have more to do with The GM and ownership rather than Struber.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

To me the fact this is even a question now is a very positive development. Up until two months ago it looked like we made a massive mistake hiring Struber. Now, that changed into - can he do better and potentially take a step forward next year? By earning play-off birth and basically keeping status quo his first year to me he earned another shot to actually improve in the next year or two. Now if this mediocrity repeats itself, then clearly we have the wrong guy. I thought we did have the wrong guy until recently, but now I think there is a chance.

And who knows, we have not lost that Philly play-off game just yet. Granted last year we lost to Crew in play-offs largely due to Struber, but to his credit, he has earned another opportunity.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

I would guess that will have more to do with The GM and ownership rather than Struber.

I would say it is both. Thelwell certainly has not done Struber many favors, but had Struber valued Kaku more than a 15 sub in last play-offs or gave more chances to White, my guess is both of them would still be on the roster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users