• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
Perhaps after he is unceremoniously dumped after this season Royer will reveal all the juicy details regarding this 2019 - 2021 implosion of the club.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,450 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Dying to know who the players were that agreed with the post. Wonder if any players check these boards, maybe only in good times.

They do. As does the front office. Sakiewicz threatened jobs for being on here back in the day.

The players were: 2 USL players, 1 MLS signed but mostly used in USL and one MLS regular.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

They also checked BigSoccer back in the day. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,450 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

They also checked BigSoccer back in the day. 

IIRC, the site has a link to it from their main page on both mlsnet and metrostars.com
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Jesus. MLSnet. Haven't heard that in forever. I don't even know if BigSoccer is still around...

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Jesus. MLSnet. Haven't heard that in forever. I don't even know if BigSoccer is still around...

It is. But its a ghost town.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

I was impressed with how he started the season, excited to see how the team would look when he got to work on the offense. Several months later, I'm still waiting for him to get to work on the offense... Totally bereft of ways to create chances other than lumping it to Fabio and hoping the opposing defense makes a boneheaded mistake. Literally the same plan my JV soccer coach had when our team sucked other than one all-state striker.

right now the defense needs to get fixed. you cant have the majority of your team be defenders and expect the offense to produce.  that is why i dont fault struber. if he played the way he prefers to play, like when he had Long, we would lose easily by 3-4 goals. playing with a 5 man backline basically says that the coach has no confidence that his team  hold a lead. he is basically playing for a tie.  

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

right now the defense needs to get fixed. you cant have the majority of your team be defenders and expect the offense to produce.  that is why i dont fault struber. if he played the way he prefers to play, like when he had Long, we would lose easily by 3-4 goals. playing with a 5 man backline basically says that the coach has no confidence that his team  hold a lead. he is basically playing for a tie.  

We've only played with 5 man back line about 3 or 4 times the entire season, no? Results have been about the same either way, we have had a decent enough defense and an awful offense in either formation. 

Something that stuck out to me lately. We keep ending these games with 15-20 shots, but I think back and can't remember more than one or two that ever felt dangerous. Lo and behold, the current Expected Goals (xG) stats show that we have:

1) Top five shots taken per minute

2) The lowest number of shots on target per shots taken in the league

3) The highest number of shots taken per expected goals in the league

4) Bottom five difference between expected goals and actual goals 

So stats back up the eye test here. We're taking a boatload of poor quality chances and doing a shit job of finishing the ones that we should score.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

How does RBG not see that their club in the NY Metro area can become their most valuable if they gave it just a fraction of the attention they give to their European clubs?

It very likely already is and that's part of the problem. RBNY is almost certainly worth more than Salzburg or 50% of Liepzig.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

That will teach us to ask the team to shoot from distance more often! (A genuine problem in the Marsch/Armas days.)

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

We've only played with 5 man back line about 3 or 4 times the entire season, no? Results have been about the same either way, we have had a decent enough defense and an awful offense in either formation. 

Something that stuck out to me lately. We keep ending these games with 15-20 shots, but I think back and can't remember more than one or two that ever felt dangerous. Lo and behold, the current Expected Goals (xG) stats show that we have:

3) The highest number of shots taken per expected goals in the league

4) Bottom five difference between expected goals and actual goals 

So stats back up the eye test here. We're taking a boatload of poor quality chances and doing a shit job of finishing the ones that we should score.

missed this post and basically looked at the same stuff.  worse in the league xG/shot. We dont have anyone clinical enough on this team to be feasting on low quality chances.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

Dying to know who the players were that agreed with the post. Wonder if any players check these boards, maybe only in good times.

Tolkin comes to mind. A thread is started about his hair and he cuts and dyes his hair almost a week afterwards.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

They do. As does the front office. Sakiewicz threatened jobs for being on here back in the day.

The players were: 2 USL players, 1 MLS signed but mostly used in USL and one MLS regular.

I don't doubt at all that they have legitimate gripes, but also maybe I'd expect any player to be a little resentful towards the GM that booted them off the team lol

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT
I wanna give Struber the benefit of the doubt but damn, this season has been UGLY.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I wanna give Struber the benefit of the doubt but damn, this season has been UGLY.

I'm with you... it looks to me that players don't even have an idea of how to run and pass in the final third. That points to me as a lack of coaching. When Royer came on vs. chicago, I instantly got the impression that him and Fabio had an understanding, an understanding that comes from experience. 

Words like "grit", "heart", and "hustle" are meaningless if you dont clearly tell an 18yo that when they see a certain thing, move in a certain way.  Fielding a team of youngsters means that you have draw up some choreographed movements. It feels like the team is relying on the sort of chemistry that comes from veterans, without the veterans.    

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users