McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

[*]Selling Parker with no replacement 

I think people need to stop making this argument. Reyes had a slow start, but has probably had a better season than Parker. It could also be argued Nealis has had a better season than Parker. If Long hadnt gone down, Reyes could have been brought along slower. And then Nealis & Reyes were both out for awhile. The problems in central defense were not because we failed to replace Parker, they were because our #1 was out, as well Parkers replacements.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
You either believe that selling Parker cost us points or not.

If you believe that then you have to ask yourself if you care or not that we dropped points because of that trade.

I believe it cost us points and I care about that.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

I think people need to stop making this argument. Reyes had a slow start, but has probably had a better season than Parker. It could also be argued Nealis has had a better season than Parker. If Long hadnt gone down, Reyes could have been brought along slower. And then Nealis & Reyes were both out for awhile. The problems in central defense were not because we failed to replace Parker, they were because our #1 was out, as well Parkers replacements.

Players get injured. They rolled the dice Long wouldn't get injured and didn't have a plan B. They were forced to bring Reyes up too soon and a couple games were probably lost as a result of that.  Now, I feel like the CB pairing is working, but it wasn't for months. There was talk of Davis playing CB.  That's not acceptable from a roster building standpoint. We waited and waiting for a summer CB signing - crickets. 

The team regressed from last season - and they were pretty crappy last year too. You can't replace expensive veterans exclusively with cheap youth and expect success. 

Thelwell seems to put youth development above on-field success and that's concerning to me.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

You either believe that selling Parker cost us points or not.

If you believe that then you have to ask yourself if you care or not that we dropped points because of that trade.

I believe it cost us points and I care about that.

We lost points because CBs 1-3 were all out for a bunch of games AND we cant score. Parker would have only helped because he was healthy this year. The team had 3 CBs that they felt were on the level (or better in the case of Long). Its a salary cap league, moving on from a guy they felt they had at least one, maybe two replacements for while getting a boatload of cash, is smart. Problem was those two both missed games, at the same time, due to injuries. The bigger issue is weve been mostly healthy all year in the midfield and up top and havent been able to generate much of anything. So we probably didnt spend that Parker money wisely.

And everybody on this board cares. We just dont all act like Thelwell ran over our dog.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

The issue with the defense started in 2019 when the team invested time and money to develop nealis, boateng and scarlet. We needed one of these guys to be ready to replace Parker when he was traded. The only guy to make it to the first team was nealis and he has had a few rough games this year. That blame falls on hamlet and the nyrb development system.

There was signs that this team will struggle without Long. Since the development path failed, they had to trade parker to bring in new blood. The team did a great job bringing in reyes but we still needed a vet to help control the game for atleast 1 -2 years.

Thelwell is still to blame for not bringing in a veteran defender. we still do not have one on this team until long comes back. He instead signed 2 more young kids.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

We lost points because CBs 1-3 were all out for a bunch of games AND we cant score. Parker would have only helped because he was healthy this year. The team had 3 CBs that they felt were on the level (or better in the case of Long). Its a salary cap league, moving on from a guy they felt they had at least one, maybe two replacements for while getting a boatload of cash, is smart. Problem was those two both missed games, at the same time, due to injuries. The bigger issue is weve been mostly healthy all year in the midfield and up top and havent been able to generate much of anything. So we probably didnt spend that Parker money wisely.

And everybody on this board cares. We just dont all act like Thelwell ran over our dog.

I dont think everyone cares that we traded Parker. And I dont think everyone cares that we dropped points. That was my point.

Also, I dont have a dog.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I dont think everyone cares that we traded Parker. And I dont think everyone cares that we dropped points. That was my point.

Also, I dont have a dog.

Well yeah not after Thelwell got done with it.

I'm not convinced we dropped any points for losing Parker. I think Reyes is already a better player, it's a shame his hamstring took him out for so long.

Honestly I'm not even convinced we dropped more than a very small handful of points for losing Long or our other starting CBs. We have one of the better defensive records in the league and it stayed that way even when we were playing our backup fullback there. Credit where credit is due to Struber, he makes it very difficult to score on us.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Anyone who would rather have Parker instead of Reyes right now is sniffing some really strong glue.

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Anyone who would rather have Parker instead of Reyes right now is sniffing some really strong glue.

Parker is having potentially the worst season of his career right now. This is the answer people want? With him wed be in a playoff spot? Give me a break. Lets go back to debating whether or not Coronel>Meara for 100 days. Reyes looks like hes a real player, Nealis is ok. Its unfortunate that Long got hurt and we were exposed early but defense has been far from a serious problem on this team

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts

They definitely lost points because of the patchwork central defense. The 3:2 home loss to the Revs is one prime example. Or the late tie vs Philly when Egbo was playing CB. Or the Tarek giveaway vs DC. Or Tarek in Montreal.

Tarek started 8 straight games and the team went 1-4-3. Not a coincidence.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

They definitely lost points because of the patchwork central defense. The 3:2 home loss to the Revs is one prime example. Or the late tie vs Philly when Egbo was playing CB. Or the Tarek giveaway vs DC. Or Tarek in Montreal.

Tarek started 8 straight games and the team went 1-4-3. Not a coincidence.

Points.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

I dont know who those people are.

I would have liked to have both of them.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

BINGO. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

So the question is whether Parker would have been better than Tarek...

https://www.fctables...-320841-205673/

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I dont know who those people are.

Parker would be 4th on the CB depth chart (assuming Long doesn't suffer a freak accident). Nealis is better than he is. There is no remotely decent argument for keeping Parker that isn't immediately superseded by, "we should have signed another CB instead." 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users