iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I dont know who those people are.

I would have liked to have both of them.

I'd also love the salary cap to be loosened up enough to keep 4 expensive CBs on the roster. I'm not sure we're there yet. Reality of the salary cap is you can't always keep all the players you want. Long makes $900k, Parker $850k, Reyes $450k, Tarek $400k... Right now we have the 3rd highest payroll for defenders in the league, if we kept Parker we'd be 1st.

So the question is whether Parker would have been better than Tarek...

https://www.fctables...-320841-205673/

Shades of the Barlow/White debate here. Parker is a better player than Tarek, but that's why he was sold for almost $1M in allocation, while Tarek was sold for a bag of balls. If neither of those two guys would have been clear cut starters, you move the guy with more value every time.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts

They definitely lost points because of the patchwork central defense. The 3:2 home loss to the Revs is one prime example. Or the late tie vs Philly when Egbo was playing CB. Or the Tarek giveaway vs DC. Or Tarek in Montreal.

Tarek started 8 straight games and the team went 1-4-3. Not a coincidence.

They definitely lost some points, but not as many as you'd expect given the extent of the injury crisis. Our defensive record stayed respectable, imo it was still the anemic attack that killed us throughout that time.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Parker would be 4th on the CB depth chart (assuming Long doesn't suffer a freak accident). Nealis is better than he is. There is no remotely decent argument for keeping Parker that isn't immediately superseded by, "we should have signed another CB instead." 

Parker is a way much better player than nealis. We would have a slightly better record if he stayed.

Nealis should have never been considered as a starter. Maybe promote him to the tarek role. Now does he offer better value than parker? Yes. With the amount of $$ parker is receiving, you could have signed a borderline DP talent.

we needed a placeholder until reyes was ready to become a starter. Ideally a vet since we have so many kids.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

They definitely lost some points, but not as many as you'd expect given the extent of the injury crisis. Our defensive record stayed respectable, imo it was still the anemic attack that killed us throughout that time.

We now have 8 shutouts - for fourth in the league so D despite injuries not really a problem. 

heard on Seeing Red

Although I do love Parker and I play CB like him I think Reyes is better overall and Nealis solid most of the year - Tarek inconsistent but surprising drop off. 

Anemic attack via tactics and player regression the biggest issue. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Supports:Metro

This topic was restarted as a discussion of Thelwell, not Parker. I feel like some people are missing that point. 

I was saying: 

1) Thelwell is in charge of roster.

2) Roster did not have enough competent CBs for 25% of the season.

3) Prior to season, Thelwell sold a starting CB.

4) Ergo, in my view, Thelwell played a direct role in getting us in a hole at the CB position for a large chunk of the season. 

I feel like people arguing who is better Reyes vs. Parker are missing the point that Thelwell did not have enough starter quality CB's on the roster for 30% of the year. That's on Thelwell, and I refuse to see it otherwise. Shitty situation injury wise, but thats his job - construct a roster with depth and quality to compete for a full season.* 

Will this year's team be better than 6th in the east? If no, then thats regression...

(*or his job is to develop youth for sale overseas/promotion to RBL, a concept that can be at odds with winning) 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Parker is a way much better player than nealis. We would have a slightly better record if he stayed.

Nealis should have never been considered as a starter. Maybe promote him to the tarek role. Now does he offer better value than parker? Yes. With the amount of $$ parker is receiving, you could have signed a borderline DP talent.

we needed a placeholder until reyes was ready to become a starter. Ideally a vet since we have so many kids.

He is definitely not. Nealis is ahead of Parker in basically every meaningful defensive category. Interceptions, aerial duels, passing...

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

We now have 8 shutouts - for fourth in the league so D despite injuries not really a problem. 

heard on Seeing Red

Anemic attack via tactics and player regression the biggest issue. 

I sort of think these two concepts are super connected. The defense looks solid, because you are pulling offensive threats off the field. Struber's tactics adds a defensive 8, and subtracts a typical attacking winger. Even the CAM is more of an 8. It makes a defense stronger, but at the cost of getting goals. From my perspective, super boring tactics and not the pressing barbarian horde I was hoping for this year.  

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

He is definitely not. Nealis is ahead of Parker in basically every meaningful defensive category. Interceptions, aerial duels, passing...

I cant say Ive watched much, if any, Dynamo matches but the rating sites show Parker has had a poor season. Hes making 800k, signed a contract extension a couple of months ago, and was a depreciating asset for RBNY. Had to move him while he still retained value coming off an up and down 2020.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

I sort of think these two concepts are super connected. The defense looks solid, because you are pulling offensive threats off the field. Struber's tactics adds a defensive 8, and subtracts a typical attacking winger. Even the CAM is more of an 8. It makes a defense stronger, but at the cost of getting goals. From my perspective, super boring tactics and not the pressing barbarian horde I was hoping for this year.  

I think more to do with 4 diamond 4 2 with lots of lofted balls and CAM hole. 

More annoyed we did not do big upgrade at CAM or even bring in a Barco light type player. to develop compete  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts

Those stats are meaningless. What pairing did better in nyrb. Tarek and parker. Long and parker. Compared to tarek and nealis and long and Nealis. The record and stats with parker in the lineup are superior.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts

and if nealis is such an amazing player... why is struber playing so defensive? And why are people upset that the GM left a whole on the defensive end.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

and if nealis is such an amazing player... why is struber playing so defensive? And why are people upset that the GM left a whole on the defensive end.

I didn't say Nealis is an amazing player. I said he is better than Parker. If I say a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is a better dinner than roadkill, I am not calling a peanut butter and jelly sandwich amazing. I am highlighting how shitty roadkill is. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

I'd also love the salary cap to be loosened up enough to keep 4 expensive CBs on the roster. I'm not sure we're there yet. Reality of the salary cap is you can't always keep all the players you want. Long makes $900k, Parker $850k, Reyes $450k, Tarek $400k... Right now we have the 3rd highest payroll for defenders in the league, if we kept Parker we'd be 1st.

Shades of the Barlow/White debate here. Parker is a better player than Tarek, but that's why he was sold for almost $1M in allocation, while Tarek was sold for a bag of balls. If neither of those two guys would have been clear cut starters, you move the guy with more value every time.

What is the cap and how close are we to it?

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts

What is the cap and how close are we to it?

Impossible to say how close we are to the $4.9M cap with certainty since the MLSPA numbers aren't a fully accurate reflection of cap hit and MLS sure as hell won't tell us in detail. But I would imagine every MLS team operates at or just over the cap with the help of some allocation money. Why wouldn't they? The league literally pays for it

So if you want them to go spending more than anyone else in the league on the defense, don't go complaining when they can't go sign that attacking player who could help the team a lot more than a 3rd/4th string CB.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Those stats are meaningless. What pairing did better in nyrb. Tarek and parker. Long and parker. Compared to tarek and nealis and long and Nealis. The record and stats with parker in the lineup are superior.

This is an objectively terrible way to analyze anything, but if we want to go that route that RBNY's record compared to Houston's this season speaks pretty decisively as to who has been better. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users