74 replies to this topic

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Impossible to say how close we are to the $4.9M cap with certainty since the MLSPA numbers aren't a fully accurate reflection of cap hit and MLS sure as hell won't tell us in detail. But I would imagine every MLS team operates at or just over the cap with the help of some allocation money. Why wouldn't they? The league literally pays for it

So if you want them to go spending more than anyone else in the league on the defense, don't go complaining when they can't go sign that attacking player who could help the team a lot more than a 3rd/4th string CB.

What Im saying is that since we have no idea its meaningless to have the salary cap argument.

We are averse to spending money. I think that can be agreed on.

I want them to spend more. I want more talented players in their prime. I want better veteran leadership.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I didn't say Nealis is an amazing player. I said he is better than Parker. If I say a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is a better dinner than roadkill, I am not calling a peanut butter and jelly sandwich amazing. I am highlighting how shitty roadkill is. 

But a good peanut butter and jelly sandwich is amazing.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

But a good peanut butter and jelly sandwich is amazing.

But its not better than an Elvis.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

I cannot comment on Parker's play now as I haven't watched his new team. However, for RB he was solid, and CB WAS a big problem earlier in the year. We dropped a lot of points because of that. Points that may be a difference between making play-offs and missing them. Perhaps Thelwell's idea of replacing him with Reyes and Nealis stepping up will work for next year, but if this costs us play-offs this year, it's a failure in my book.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

But its not better than an Elvis.

OH MY. The more you know...

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I cannot comment on Parker's play now as I haven't watched his new team. However, for RB he was solid, and CB WAS a big problem earlier in the year. We dropped a lot of points because of that. Points that may be a difference between making play-offs and missing them. Perhaps Thelwell's idea of replacing him with Reyes and Nealis stepping up will work for next year, but if this costs us play-offs this year, it's a failure in my book.

The team's top 3 CBs went down with injuries at the same time and the 4th stringer was a shitty Hamlett leftover eating a ridiculous amount of cap space. What was anyone supposed to do about that? Thelwell fucked up plenty this season but sometimes shit happens. The idea that they should have passed on the GAM and cap space for a player nosediving because they were supposed to predict a future injury crisis and because he'd have maybe rescued 2 points in the standings for what is a lost season regardless is ridiculous and screams of complaining for the sake of complaining. 

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Yeah if you're not prepared for one guy getting injured that's on the GM. If you're not prepared for three guys getting injured at once that's on the universe for dealing you a shit hand. No MLS has 5 to 6 starting quality CBs on their team.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Yeah if you're not prepared for one guy getting injured that's on the GM. If you're not prepared for three guys getting injured at once that's on the universe for dealing you a shit hand. No MLS has 5 to 6 starting quality CBs on their team.

And if we had kept Parker we'd still not have 5 or 6 starting quality CBs! He's washed up at this point. He was mediocre at best last season and has been total garbage in Houston this year. Nealis and Reyes are clearly better than he is at this point and that's probably not the case without them getting the developmental minutes this season. Something they maybe don't have if Parker is still here siphoning playing time. Ironically, given the disaster at CB for most of this season, Reyes, Nealis, and hopefully a healthy Long make CB the position gives me the most confidence going into next March. Even without seeing what Monzon can do. 

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
It amazes me to revisit earlier posts in these boards from fans losing their shit about how terrible Nealis was and how they wish he never took the field again.

But then it is fair to recognize his progress given a fair share of games - even in spite of some mistakes - to the point that he is now a reliable contributor. Would I build a team around him? Nope. Would I try to get a better defender if one became available, one fits the mold and the cap space? Hell yeah! But for whatever tactics Struber employs, our defense has kept us in games as of late. We have had unfortunate bounces and calls, but that is the nature of the game and every team suffers from them

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

What spot on the CB depth chart would Nealis ideally have on an MLS Cup-competitive roster? 3rd? When Long comes back that's probably be where he ends up, depending on how Monzon is.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

What spot on the CB depth chart would Nealis ideally have on an MLS Cup-competitive roster? 3rd? When Long comes back that's probably be where he ends up, depending on how Monzon is.

I think he would probably be a third or fourth choice, which is what you want in a well constructed roster. I think he would be fine for a few starts due to schedule congestion, card accumulation, or injury.

My initial comment was made more to the fact that many on these forums lose their shit at the first change of wind direction and forget that the game has been like this for a ling time and most times there is stuff happening that we have no insights into.

It reminds me a very long time ago back home when people would listen to commentary over the radio and fans would write letters to the station, there was this amazing old Argentinian analyst that would read them on the air. One time there was a letter that seemed to be from an MF poster from the future, and his response was: Ladies and gentleman, sometimes the ones who know the least are the ones who scream the most. That was almost 40 years ago and still holds true

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

That is a fair point. If Thelwell did well in other areas, there would not even be a conversation on this. But when you are about to miss play offs for the first time in 12 years I think everything gets questioned. Admittedly I am not worried about CB now. But when we were dropping points because we could not score and CBs were injured, while Parker whom some of us wanted  to keep, was healthy, it was a bit frustrating. Missing play-offs first time in dozen years does that to you...

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Can we put this shit to bed for good, now?

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

This can join the Coronel vs Meara thread

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

You are the one bringing it back up! 😁

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users