rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Miami and Toronto would say no

Lol. So if Red Bull decided to increase the RBNY budget by 5x the current amount it wouldn't affect our chances at winning MLS Cup? We would still have the same chance, right? lolllll

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Obviously you still have to manage your roster wisely, which Toronto and Miami have failed spectacularly to do. Spending is not a guarantee of success, but it is looking more and more like a minimum requirement.

The guys eating up all of Toronto's salary are guys who helped them win two titles in 2017. They just refuse to cut the cord, especially with Jozy, while making some other questionable decisions like hiring Chris Armas.

Miami is its own special shitshow. Of course if you spend on a DP like Higuian who thinks he can have a cigarette on the field and shows up 20 pounds overweight you're going to struggle. Shep literally asked during our first broadcasted game against them if Higuian was enjoying too much pizza since arriving in the US lol

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

No they wouldn't.   

Because higuain is tearing up the league... in smoking cigarettes?

Or how most of Toronto's salary is tied to the injury list? The person who made the most $$ is Toronto's medical staff ...lol

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

being completely honest i dont care where we rank on the salary list as long as we are willing to pay transfer fees.  When signing young players and having the amount of homegrowns we have you are always likely to be bottom half of league for salaries.  But when acquiring these guys we need to commit to paying material fees so we get the best raw talent to work with.  at minimum need more Reyes / Yearwood talents here though ideally we'd aim even higher.

In MLS the salary list of most teams is just a measure of how much salary you pay your DPs.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The bar of Miami, which is basically a money laundering scheme, and Toronto, who started off the season with Chris Goddam Armas should be a very easy bar to clear in terms of spending money wisely.

Terribly run teams that waste money shouldn't be an excuse for not spending money ourselves.

If you want to believe in the red bull project, you should believe that we have the resources and expertise to spend money smartly.

Anyway, I want to see what we do in the offseason with the salary that's getting cleared off the books.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

https://mlsplayers.o...es/salary-guide 

https://www.onceamet...-payroll-reveal

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

https://www.onceamet...-payroll-reveal

That Hall of Busts is nightmare fuel for a salary capped league. That's over a quarter of our cap tied to guys who can't even make the bench. 

Flying under the radar this year is Duncan's precarious contract situation. There's been no talks of renewal or contract options, and there ain't no way he's sticking around any longer for $89k. Personally I'd prefer him over Edwards if it came down to it.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

There are outliers, but when you look at all of soccer across the world, the more money spent, the better the team. The points/$ is great! Add more money and you get more points. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Duncan's precarious contract situation.

He wouldn't sign with us in 2015,
preferring to sign with a French club; failed there,
returned here & has played for 4 seasons.
I foresee him trying Europe again.
Saw his first goal for us in Portland:
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=wIG4sN2LgB8
He should have had an assist on what became a PK.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Speedball

Speedball

Metro Masochist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and things.
  • Supports:Metros, NJ Ironmen, Fluminense

Flying under the radar this year is Duncan's precarious contract situation. There's been no talks of renewal or contract options, and there ain't no way he's sticking around any longer for $89k. Personally I'd prefer him over Edwards if it came down to it.

I fully expect Duncan to sign somewhere in France and then spend his free time partying with cousin Timmy. I mean, wouldn't you?

"They better keep playing that RB Arena update because that unbuilt stadium is the only positive thing about this soft-drink-selling, coached-by-a-dumbass, trading-good-players-for-shit, hopeless, retarded, club." - MetroFanatic

"It was always six weeks away. Every month, [Nick Sakiewicz] would say, we're six weeks away from the stadium. It's been the longest six weeks of my life." - Mike Petke

"I think every country can learn everything about each other. If the whole world can be together, it can be good." - Mathias Jorgensen

"I want to give you lots of titles for your happiness. Lots of hugs.” - Fabio

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

So many guys on that list who are guaranteed goners and they make a ton of money.

Royer - 818K

Diarra - 398K

Pendant - 385K

Jensen - 364K

Jorgensen - 356K

Egbo -       310K

Gotta figure some guys will be getting raises as well but that is a lot of money coming off the books where almost anything we bring in will offer more on the field.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

That Hall of Busts is nightmare fuel for a salary capped league. That's over a quarter of our cap tied to guys who can't even make the bench. 

There were rumors that he turned down a contract extension and had interest from Europe. We discussed it quite a bit but I have not heard anything definite.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

A team with one of the richest owners, in the biggest market, with name and jerseys covered in advertising, AND the second lowest payroll while sitting outside the playoff picture currently is such an embarrassment.  

Get out of here red bull. 

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Of course, but spending little or none is unhelpful.
Some teams made major mid-season signings:
https://apnews.com/a...26a6efc23e87b38

Right. Leaving out Miami and Toronto as others have pointed out, teams are getting better returns by players in the 2-3M range than the top earners in the list and it appears the league is moving in that direction.

This offseason will be more telling if the FlO intends to go that way, and also what it does about those albatrosses contracts in the books.

Efried

Efried

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Right. Leaving out Miami and Toronto as others have pointed out, teams are getting better returns by players in the 2-3M range than the top earners in the list and it appears the league is moving in that direction.

This offseason will be more telling if the FlO intends to go that way, and also what it does about those albatrosses contracts in the books.

we spend like a million less than the revs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users