Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I believe a MLS team has won the CL.

Love your optimism!!! More of it is needed to bring this te some good luck.

MLS teams won something called the CL that was actually a single elimination 5 day long tournment with teams playing practically every day back to back like a rec tournment.

We would be the first team to win the CCL when it was actually an accomplishment to do so.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

I believe a MLS team has won the CL.

Love your optimism!!! More of it is needed to bring this te some good luck.

Two MLS teams won the Concacaf Champions Cup which was a tournament that was played in one city over a few days. Both of those MLS teams hosted the tournament. No MLS team has won the much more difficult CCL that replaced the Cup.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Two MLS teams won the Concacaf Champions Cup which was a tournament that was played in one city over a few days. Both of those MLS teams hosted the tournament. No MLS team has won the much more difficult CCL that replaced the Cup.

CONCACAF switched formats in 2002 to a 16-team knockout tournament that resembled the new CCL format, before switching to a group stage and knockout tournament in 2008, and then returned to a straight knockout this year.  Since 2002, two Costa Rican teams have won the tournament, two MLS teams have made the final, and Mexican teams have won 14, including the last 12.

Put gently, MLS teams have done precisely fuck-all in any legitimate continental tournament.

hoofit

hoofit

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

We play in 3 Cup finals, at home. We win at least 2. 

Let's think along these lines.  

Excellence Not Expectations

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York
4th in the east, fun but inconsistent, playoffs a crap shoot, out in 2nd round.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
I have railed on ownership/management for the entirety of the Marsch era for the two things that I believe have been the roadblock to knockout round success.

1. No plan B in attack. Only Sasha to BWP equals goal. Which has been great stat-wise but has been game planned for and perfectly executed by the opposition in the biggest games.
2. Centerback.

And I know Ive been a complete d!ck about these two things but its only cause I care so goddamn much. This team has done so many things right that to see 1 and 2 above go on year after year without correction has been infuriating.

As for number 1, I think and hope that weve finally built a team that can hurt you in a variety of ways. So my prediction is that we see more variety in the way we score goals this year. Its not going to be Sasha to BWP equals goal anymore and I think that will be a good thing when the big games come around.

However, I dont believe theyve adequately addressed the centerback issue. So Ill predict once again that it is going to be the biggest road block to knockout round success. If we lose any big games this year its going to be because a centerback not named Long made a critical error.

Still waiting for it all to come together. Feels close. REALLY close.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Feel pretty good about the team this year for some reason think we will make playoffs and make some noise in one or two of the Open Cup/MLS Cup/CCL.

This season really just comes down to 3 things

1) if one of Collin/Escobar/Redding is good

2) one of Muyl/Davis/Etienne/Rzat/Rivas plays well next to Kaku and Royer

3) BWP stays healthy and doesn't look old

If one of these doesn't happen then we need buy something in the summer to fill the void but like the number of options.  Lets get the season going already

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I know Ive been a complete d!ck

Who are we, to dispute you?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users