80 replies to this topic

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

It sucks but I don't know what people want. For the team to sign players who are not good? It's just a shame that Duncan got hurt. Hopefully they can either delay the move until the winter or get him on loan for the remainder of the season, like Seattle did with Yedlin.

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I wonder if Escobar can play right back. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

I wonder if Escobar can play right back. 

I'm not sure Escobar can even play CB.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I'm not sure Escobar can even play CB.

Based on what? I'm not sure he fit Jesse's style but he's clearly a talented player.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I don't know what people want.

I, for one, would like to see us win a cup!
Either one, for starters. Then, the other.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Based on what? I'm not sure he fit Jesse's style but he's clearly a talented player.

Based on watching him play for us, in USL, and at the World Cup. He can hit the shit out of the ball, but he's not a good defender. Way too prone to dumb, casual errors.

He's young, so maybe he works that out of his game. I'm not writing him off, but he just isn't that good as a CB right now.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Based on watching him play for us, in USL, and at the World Cup. He can hit the shit out of the ball, but he's not a good defender. Way too prone to dumb, casual errors.

He's young, so maybe he works that out of his game. I'm not writing him off, but he just isn't that good as a CB right now.

his entire team was outmatched at the World Cup. That's not a good way to rate the MLS capabilities of a player.

He's only had a handful of games with the 1st team.  In fact, I'm pretty sure he was named to MLS TOTW during one of his starts - so not sure where the negativity around him comes from.  Is he going to take over Parker / Long's spots? No, but he can easily fill in if we switch back to the 3 man backline

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

his entire team was outmatched at the World Cup. That's not a good way to rate the MLS capabilities of a player.

He's only had a handful of games with the 1st team.  In fact, I'm pretty sure he was named to MLS TOTW during one of his starts - so not sure where the negativity around him comes from.  Is he going to take over Parker / Long's spots? No, but he can easily fill in if we switch back to the 3 man backline

Good thing I'm not judging him solely on his World Cup performances then, right?

People can disagree. The fact that he has only managed 9 first-team appearances in a year tells me that I'm not close to alone here though.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Good thing I'm not judging him solely on his World Cup performances then, right?

People can disagree. The fact that he has only managed 9 first-team appearances in a year tells me that I'm not close to alone here though.

Escobar wasn't very good during the stretch of games he got last season.  

That said, he's been in the system longer now and may be better.   Really don't want to see him play though.  We have two really good CB's who should never come off the field.  Escobar is there if the worst thing happens, and hopefully the worst thing doesn't happen.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

we should have 3 CBs out there, Fidel or Ndam being the 3rd. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

With how narrow the field is at Yankee Stadium, it makes sense to play 3 in the back there and push more in midfield. There's so little room to operate on that field as stands. It's a gimmick field.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

So only signing players without ambition or ability to play at a higher level is the path to a Cup?

The path to the Cup is not letting your best players leave each summer. Very simple concept.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Escobar wasn't very good during the stretch of games he got last season.  

That said, he's been in the system longer now and may be better.   Really don't want to see him play though.  We have two really good CB's who should never come off the field.  Escobar is there if the worst thing happens, and hopefully the worst thing doesn't happen.

Parker and Long are far ahead, but Escobar should be on the verge of the #3 spot if he isn't already in it, especially with Collin seemingly aging by the day and Ndam even younger than Fidel.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

The path to the Cup is not letting your best players leave each summer. Very simple concept.

as long as you back fill, no worries.   Dax leaves, Adams comes in.  Adams leaves, someone else comes in.    We have Rza riding the bench behind Adams making $900K.    We've had great players like BWP and Robles here forever, young guys like Davis locked in for the long haul.   Its a portfolio.    Some players stay longer than others.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Parker and Long are far ahead, but Escobar should be on the verge of the #3 spot if he isn't already in it, especially with Collin seemingly aging by the day and Ndam even younger than Fidel.

Yep agree.  Think he may even be number 3 already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users