Who is the most important player on defense?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Metro has the best defense in MLS - who's the most important link? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Metro has the best defense in MLS - who's the most important link?

1. Robles (4 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. Murillo (1 votes [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

3. Parker (12 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

4. Long (12 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

5. Taxi (11 votes [27.50%])

Percentage of vote: 27.50%

6. Adams (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Supports:Metro

See poll and/or discuss.

Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
Long, and it's not close. Parker is important too, but he's been shaky multiple times. Robles has made wonder saves when needed, but that's par for the course by now (and he's given up a couple of soft ones, too).

Long has been playing at USMNT level.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,599 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Long, and it's not close. Parker is important too, but he's been shaky multiple times. Robles has made wonder saves when needed, but that's par for the course by now (and he's given up a couple of soft ones, too).

Long has been playing at USMNT level.

Parker is a serious physical force, but Long is a better all-around player. He's faster over space and better on the ball. I think he's one of the most underrated players in MLS and should be in serious consideration for the national first team, not just Camp Cupcake bullshit.

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa
It's Long. But if Parker was better with the ball, he would already be playing overseas. Even still, Vancouver game notwithstanding, Parker's pretty beastly.

Footie17

Footie17

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Portugal, Donuts

My vote is for Taxi. His speed, work rate, and the timing on his tackles are fantastic. Long is my #2. Incredible to think we got these two guys basically off the scrap heap and now they're automatic starters. 

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

Taxi. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts
My vote is for whoever closely marks David Villa in the playoffs

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

General Robles

General Robles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Newcastle, Palermo

Long, but that's not at all a slight at anyone else. That whole backline is excellent and worthy of consideration.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT
Collin

*ducks*
2013, 2015 and 2018 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Think it depends. Different games this year different people have been important. The defense does a pretty excellent job of stepping up when someone else is having a bad game. 

General Robles

General Robles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Newcastle, Palermo
This probably would have been my 4th choice initially (I voted Long), but I got to thinking about the 2 most recent City games. I wonder if the case could be made for Murrillo. Hes missed a significant amount of games this year and, at quick glance through the schedule, we are only 5-5-2 without him. Meaning we are 10-1-2 with him. Possibly/probably a coincidence and I havent looked at the splits with our other defenders, but thats a pretty drastic difference. The above is for only league games, if that wasnt clear.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,420 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

This probably would have been my 4th choice initially (I voted Long), but I got to thinking about the 2 most recent City games. I wonder if the case could be made for Murrillo. Hes missed a significant amount of games this year and, at quick glance through the schedule, we are only 5-5-2 without him. Meaning we are 10-1-2 with him. Possibly/probably a coincidence and I havent looked at the splits with our other defenders, but thats a pretty drastic difference. The above is for only league games, if that wasnt clear.

Murillo and Taxi may be more important overall, but only for their contributions on offense.     The way we play, with the wide backs spending so much time forward,  centerbacks are more important to the defense.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Murillo and Taxi may be more important overall, but only for their contributions on offense.     The way we play, with the wide backs spending so much time forward,  centerbacks are more important to the defense.

Definitely true in a general case, but I think Taxi is much closer to the CBs just based on his recoveries alone.

Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts

Yeah, I would never say Murillo because of the 4, he's the worst pure defender.  Taxi is great all the way around and I wouldn't ever argue against him.

For me, it's Parker.  Long is good but I also think Parker makes him better.  I just try to picture the defense without Long or Parker and I still feel better about things with Parker being in there on his own over Long.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,025 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Murrillo ... 5-5-2 without him ... 10-1-2 with him.

If accurate, all the more reason why he needs to avoid red cards.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users