175 replies to this topic

betoAYAK

betoAYAK

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,385 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Colombia & Millonarios

From what I've read from people who would know about these things, diamond midfield shapes require a rock solid d-mid and take a little longer for teams to learn.

Have we seen a diamond midfield succeed in MLS since Kreis used to run it at RSL?

Pretty sure New England used it pretty successfully when they had Shalrie Joseph.

(NittanyMetros @ Mar 17 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems Philly fans have signed up on metrofanatic to vote for themselves (in 'What team do you hate more?') . No real fan of this team would vote anything other than DC.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

From what I've read from people who would know about these things, diamond midfield shapes require a rock solid d-mid and take a little longer for teams to learn.

Have we seen a diamond midfield succeed in MLS since Kreis used to run it at RSL?

Ill over exaggerate here...but not by much:

If we played a 3 man backline of Taxi Long and Parker with CCJ in front of them we could just throw all the other guys into the attack and still win a ton of games.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I'd be on board with a switch back to that.

Was a fan of that formation and now we really have the horses to do better with it.  

-------------BWP------

----Royer-Kaku-Muyl

Duncan---CCJ----Murillo

-----Taxi---Long--Parker

Puts Royer in a better spot, doesn't put as much defensive pressure on Murillo which is a good thing because he doesn't seem particularly interested in defense sometimes.  Can rotate between CCJ, Rza, and Davis for that middle spot.   Kaku has more freedom to roam. 

Slomojones

Slomojones

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Supports:NYRB
Have we tried Kaku on the left yet?
This post is dedicated to all the slow defenders of the world. Godspeed! my brothers

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Have we tried Kaku on the left yet?

We should try him on the left out. He cant even successfully connect a pass these days...and a few of his crosses/shots(?) have me thinking hes trying to get signed as a kicker for the Jets or Giants.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I'd be on board with a switch back to that.

Was a fan of that formation and now we really have the horses to do better with it.  

-------------BWP------
----Royer-Kaku-Muyl
Duncan---CCJ----Murillo
-----Taxi---Long--Parker

Puts Royer in a better spot, doesn't put as much defensive pressure on Murillo which is a good thing because he doesn't seem particularly interested in defense sometimes.  Can rotate between CCJ, Rza, and Davis for that middle spot.   Kaku has more freedom to roam. 

Like the formation but playing a young RB on the left and wasting the best LB on the continent as a CB feels wrong. I'd rather have Taxi on the left (if fully fit) and CB3 on the pitch over shoehorning Duncan on the left.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Like the formation but playing a young RB on the left and wasting the best LB on the continent as a CB feels wrong. I'd rather have Taxi on the left (if fully fit) and CB3 on the pitch over shoehorning Duncan on the left.

Understood. It's just that Taxi is such a good natural defender that if you're going to play a back 3, all of those players damn well better be really good defenders.  Tarek may be the answer there where Taxi then can go out left but I'm just trying to get the 3 best defenders together.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Robles
Murillo-Parker-Long-Taxi
CCJ-Davis
Fernandez-Kaku-Royer
BWP

Yes, best lineup we can put out there at this point. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Ill over exaggerate here...but not by much:

If we played a 3 man backline of Taxi Long and Parker with CCJ in front of them we could just throw all the other guys into the attack and still win a ton of games.

I'm not so sure.   A huge portion of our attack, when we were playing well, came out of Taxi.   If we force him to stay home, I don't see who would make up for what he brings to the offense.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

too bad CCL wasn't closer.  If it was 3-0 then SKC would have to go for it.  

down 5-0 what do they do.  Try not to get killed at home?  Play first teamers?

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

too bad CCL wasn't closer.  If it was 3-0 then SKC would have to go for it.  
down 5-0 what do they do.  Try not to get killed at home?  Play first teamers?

Doesn't matter anyway, Santos played their full lineup in a league game before they played us and we rested guys and still lost.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Yeah, not sure short rest means much.  Only seems to factor in down the road later in the season.

No reason to be optimistic about this game.  We don't fight for things like we used to and KC is the toughest team in the league when it comes to fight-level.  Hopefully we scrap this possession concept.  Was so stupid from the start.  Suggests a total lack of understanding on why our system worked before. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

No reason to be optimistic about this game.  We don't fight for things like we used to and KC is the toughest team in the league when it comes to fight-level.  Hopefully we scrap this possession concept.  Was so stupid from the start.  Suggests a total lack of understanding on why our system worked before. 

You have to consider that other teams are simply getting better at playing against the same old high-press system we've used since 2015. I'm frustrated with Armas's inability to adapt so far this year, but stubbornly sticking to Plan A might be a little naive too.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

KC is the toughest team in the league

After the butt kicking SKC took last night,
I would expect them to be raging tomorrow.
Vermes will fire the team up pre-game.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

After the butt kicking SKC took last night,
I would expect them to be raging tomorrow.
Vermes will fire the team up pre-game.

Hope they rage sat and are tired for the game Sunday!
Maybe the helps if they come out aggressive and we pressinstead of possess

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users