Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I think Parker is the one they're shopping around. Would still mean that they'd have to bring in an add'l CB if he does get off-loaded. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I think Parker is the one they're shopping around. Would still mean that they'd have to bring in an add'l CB if he does get off-loaded. 

Ives tweeted that as well.  makes sense.  will be hard to have Long and Parker on the 2022 team

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I'm struggling to think of a great reason to move Parker unless another team seriously overpays for him.

He returned to his best form in 2020. Long will miss time and could potentially be sold. Tarek, Nealis, and Reyes are not proven MLS starters.

We haven't been in cap trouble for years, so its not like we need a salary dump to make room for other signings.

Am I missing something here?

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I'm struggling to think of a great reason to move Parker unless another team seriously overpays for him.

He returned to his best form in 2020. Long will miss time and could potentially be sold. Tarek, Nealis, and Reyes are not proven MLS starters.

We haven't been in cap trouble for years, so its not like we need a salary dump to make room for other signings.

Long and parker make a lot, I thought. For some reason I have in mind around $600- $800k each. Couple this with them both having contracts that end after this coming season, business-wise it probably makes sense to sell one of them now, while you can get a transfer of a couple million. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Long and parker make a lot, I thought. For some reason I have in mind around $600- $800k each. Couple this with them both having contracts that end after this coming season, business-wise it probably makes sense to sell one of them now, while you can get a transfer of a couple million. 

They're both in that range, but even so I would think we have enough general and targeted allocation to cover both of those guys and still make other signings.

We never made obvious use of the general allocation money from outbound transfers we've made over the last few years, and we never maxed out the targeted allocation money made available to us by the league. Unloading Rzatkowski and Jorgensen should have provided some cap relief as well.

It'd be impressive to maintain one of the lowest pay rolls in the league for half a decade and still somehow find yourself in cap trouble!

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

wouldnt assume we arent in cap trouble Parker on tam deal among a handful of players. With out knowing how much allocation is spent hard to know cap situation but iirc at only minimum buy downs we were right up or potentially over the cap

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

They're both in that range, but even so I would think we have enough general and targeted allocation to cover both of those guys and still make other signings.

We never made obvious use of the general allocation money from outbound transfers we've made over the last few years, and we never maxed out the targeted allocation money made available to us by the league. Unloading Rzatkowski and Jorgensen should have provided some cap relief as well.

It'd be impressive to maintain one of the lowest pay rolls in the league for half a decade and still somehow find yourself in cap trouble!

I guess I'm not so much thinking cap. More like, if a player is on a 4 year contract, you have to decide by conclusion of year 3 if you want to resign or sell and do it then... its probably better from a business perspective to avoid having guys leave on free transfer if it can be avoided. 

Now TAM disappears each year? But GAM you can just bank, right?

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

I guess I'm not so much thinking cap. More like, if a player is on a 4 year contract, you have to decide by conclusion of year 3 if you want to resign or sell and do it then... its probably better from a business perspective to avoid having guys leave on free transfer if it can be avoided. 

I believe every MLS team is required to spend up to the salary cap + GAM every season going forward. New CBA was gradually phasing out TAM for GAM, but teams still have both to use.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

wouldnt assume we arent in cap trouble Parker on tam deal among a handful of players. With out knowing how much allocation is spent hard to know cap situation but iirc at only minimum buy downs we were right up or potentially over the cap

Do we have a clear picture of what MLS is doing with TAM given the financial constaints of COVID?

My understanding was that at least through 2019, teams were just straight up given up to $1.2M in TAM to spend, with additional "Discretionary" TAM on top that came out of the owner's pockets but still provided cap relief. The latest roster regulations only cite the Discretionary TAM as available to teams from 2020 onward. Red Bull would have to pony up at least some of their own money, but from a cap perspective it still makes keeping Parker a clear possibility.

We only have 4 total players over the max cap hit right now, and all of them barely so unless Yearwood is making bank. I'm really struggling to believe we don't have enough allocation money to easily make this work. The only explanation that's making sense to me right now is if Red Bull doesn't think any of these guys are worth spending their own dime on.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

This could have something to do with it since Parker would qualify as a free agent at the end of this year. I can't find anything about whether or not the club has an option at the end of the reported 3 year deal he signed in 2018. He's a local guy and getting paid well, so long as Red Bull was willing to re-up him I'd hope he stays, but it makes it more of a gamble.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

The only explanation that's making sense to me right now is if Red Bull doesn't think any of these guys are worth spending their own dime on.

Or (cynic-warning) they don't see Parker as RBS/RBL worthy - better to give the new Columbian dude from Miami some time to see if he can make the jump. Better to sell Parker and use that cash to offset transfer of a young CB prospect to see if they have what it takes for RBS/RBL.  

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
Its just smart business to try to either transfer (if they have international value) or trade players whose contracts are on the verge of expiring, especially someone who is making as much as Parker in a non marquee position.

If Parker received a contract extension/new contract hed most likely be getting even more of a bump in pay putting him at least at max TAM value

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Parker is a significant cap hit. Off-loading him isn't a bad idea, but if Long is away with USMNT, it'll mean the starting pair will be from: Tarek Reyes Nealis. 

And that's assuming it's 4-4-2. We do know that Struber utilizes 3CB backlines, as well. Also, if we're in USOC, we're only allowed to have 5 int'ls in the Gameday 18. Not sure if that includes players with greencards. So that leaves Tarek and Nealis. 

This would be the only reason why I'd keep Parker. I don't wanna find out if Egbo or someone else will play the "Sal Zizzo as a CB" role. I've had enough of outside backs being converted into CBs temporarily, it's happened too many times. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
This would be a big mistake... And I really don't understand it.

I could only buy in if this was about not wanting to allocate so much money to the CB position but it's not like there's any reason to believe we'll put that money anywhere else. And throw in Long missing games, I'd actually move him first.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
Houston traded Struna to MTL and are super thin at CB, but Id imagine most MLS teams would salivate at the thought of having a domestic non NT player like Parker on their rosters.

Hopefully the interest can help RBNY drive the price up and they can get high 6 figures worth of allocation money if they want to pull the trigger on a trade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users