18 replies to this topic

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I think that was a smart move by Thelwell to change his status. Reyes and Yearwood are the U22s currently. Would mean that Yearwood's salary is very manageable and cap friendly. 

thing i wonder is while we have two free DP slots now we recently made moves to fill slots teams usually use DP slots to fill (CAM and Fwd since we dont play with wingers).  Obviously can use one of the slots to replace Clark when we sell him, but i wonder if they would consider offering Long a DP contract to stay.  Otherwise I have no clue what they would use DP slot for. 

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

I'll tell you what the Team should use a DP slot on. A dynamic player like Zelarayan or Valeri that are cheap and effective. There are plenty of those players in Latin America. Scouting needs to stop laying all their eggs into the UK market only.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I'll tell you what the Team should use a DP slot on. A dynamic player like Zelarayan or Valeri that are cheap and effective. There are plenty of those players in Latin America. Scouting needs to stop laying all their eggs into the UK market only.

We signed Fabio, Reyes, and Carmona...???

Anyway I think we clearly need to add a creative attacker in either the summer or winter windows. Even if Amaya sticks, you're losing Clark and need immediate help there. 

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

thing i wonder is while we have two free DP slots now we recently made moves to fill slots teams usually use DP slots to fill (CAM and Fwd since we dont play with wingers).  Obviously can use one of the slots to replace Clark when we sell him, but i wonder if they would consider offering Long a DP contract to stay.  Otherwise I have no clue what they would use DP slot for. 

CB is the biggest need.if we go for a vet, I wouldn't mind getting Sergio ramos. But it will probably be a young player. Maybe go after miazga

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Possible the next U22 signing is a CB. Would make sense. Low end DP or possibly another Young DP central mid, cuz after all it's just Amaya Yearwood Davis and Casseres for 3 spots. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

CB is the biggest need.if we go for a vet, I wouldn't mind getting Sergio ramos. But it will probably be a young player. Maybe go after miazga

i'd rather resign Long as a DP than sign Sergio Ramos. 

We signed Fabio, Reyes, and Carmona...???

Anyway I think we clearly need to add a creative attacker in either the summer or winter windows. Even if Amaya sticks, you're losing Clark and need immediate help there. 

i think without a doubt one slot will be used in winter window when Clark goes to replace him.  But having two free slots in summer and not using one of them is malpractice in a way.  But i dont see Thelwell trading $1mm GAM for Amaya while also having Clark signing another midfielder.  Unless we get a bid for CCJ in the summer

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

i'd rather resign Long as a DP than sign Sergio Ramos. 

Would that be an inspired, motivated Long though? Building up a strong reputation as a place where players can take their careers to the next level seems like it'll help the team succeed the way they're trying to succeed.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Would that be an inspired, motivated Long though? Building up a strong reputation as a place where players can take their careers to the next level seems like it'll help the team succeed the way they're trying to succeed.

I think Long will always be motivated by the USMNT.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

I'm sure Long will be sold in the Summer ... fits what's best for RB and what's best for Long. Win/win. Just have to get CB replacement in. I have faith.

Hopefully Woly can get Reyes up to speed as a back up and a DP level CB comes in. 

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

A DP centerback better be a human fortress with better-than-Ream passing, and good for 5 goals off corners.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
CM/CAM to prepare for Clarks departure, normally going DP on CBs is a MLS no no but with how this system operates and the cheap depth we have around at every position I wouldnt hate it.

That or another FW to supplement Fabio and Klimala

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

A DP centerback better be a human fortress with better-than-Ream passing, and good for 5 goals off corners.

I'd go DP money just to get a young Olave.     With all the Young DP/U22 and GAM/TAM and whatever other options out there, I doubt many teams use all of them.  Its not like when we just had 2, maybe 3 DP slots to fill.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I'd go DP money just to get a young Olave.     With all the Young DP/U22 and other options out there, I doubt many teams use all of them.  Its not like when we just had 2, maybe 3 DP slots to fill.

Pretend every player in MLS became a free agent overnight. How many attackers would you be comfortable signing to a DP contract and how many CBs would you be comfortable doing it with?

It's just a lot harder to identify DP-level CBs, and a lot of the players Thelwell and co. likely deem worth it can be had at a lower salary anyway. Strikers have a lot more leverage than CBs for a number of reasons. 

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

A DP centerback is better than an empty DP slot.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Pretend every player in MLS became a free agent overnight. How many attackers would you be comfortable signing to a DP contract and how many CBs would you be comfortable doing it with?

It's just a lot harder to identify DP-level CBs, and a lot of the players Thelwell and co. likely deem worth it can be had at a lower salary anyway. Strikers have a lot more leverage than CBs for a number of reasons. 

I think we are a CB short from making a serious run. That's why I am willing to overpay to get a CB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users