What could have been... (also, spending interest cooled)

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

@VICESports fwiw, Drogba told me Henry tried to recruit him for NY, with TH spending 1 more year, but NY spending interest cooled.

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Wouldn't be suprised if the rumors of not spending money factored in Henrys decision to leave.

-DELETED-

-DELETED-

First Team

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull New York

Maybe if the club has a change of heart and gets a world class player Henry will unretire?!?!?!?

(not funny enough???)

At least Red Bull was willing to spring for the reported dinner Houllier had with Drogba...(unless Didier picked up the tab...)

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Well would he have picked coming here after Galatasaray over going back to Chelsea? Doubtful.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Damn.

MadisonMetro

MadisonMetro

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Drogba's a diving cunt anyway.

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York
But a talented one. In BWP's spot- he'd have had 30+ goals this year.

LongLiveTheBeautifulGame

LongLiveTheBeautifulGame

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Arsenal, USMNT, & the 4-2-3-1

Drogba and Henry together? The WIM meter would get fucking shattered.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I thought (incorrectly) that Drogba was done a while ago, and wouldn't have criticized anyone for not taking him.   I am very surprised he is still able to contribute at the level he is.  He is also very much an intelligent player/coach in Henry's mold, which would be valuable in this league.  That said, we weren't going to beat out Chelsea for him this year, unless we did a stupid 4-year guaranteed massive contract.  That would have only made him available halfway through the season, and we all know how those mid-season DP additions usually work out.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

LongLiveTheBeautifulGame

LongLiveTheBeautifulGame

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Arsenal, USMNT, & the 4-2-3-1

Drogba finishes both lay up headers off the Titi crosses that BWP and Cahill missed. Just saying. Annnnnd we're through to the Finals.

Section133

Section133

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Supports:Metros

Let me clear things up before this thread goes bonkers:

, Drogba told me Henry tried to recruit him for NY, with TH spending 1 more year ON HIS CONTRACT, but NY spending interest cooled.

The conversation happened before LAST season.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ
Not getting Drogba is one thing, but the bigger concern is our "spending interest cooled."

Already have to deal with the Mets acting like they're playing in Milwaukee, don't need these guys closing the wallet too.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Not getting Drogba is one thing, but the bigger concern is our "spending interest cooled."

Pretty much this. 

Drogba might have been nice to have, but our issue wasn't really scoring goals and it would have been awkward trying to make a lineup the way our roster was constructed, like a square peg in a round hole scenario.

Drogba doesn't play defense or defensive midfield nor would he have helped us go to a 4-2-3-1 earlier in the year. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Already have to deal with the Mets acting like they're playing in Milwaukee, don't need these guys closing the wallet too.

I'm not buying it.   We will have at least one big money DP next season, on top of BWP.  Maybe not two $3M+ guys, but at least one in that neighborhood   More than that just gets difficult under the cap anyway, independent of "spending interest." 

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

I'm not buying it.   We will have at least one big money DP next season, on top of BWP.  Maybe not two $3M+ guys, but at least one in that neighborhood   More than that just gets difficult under the cap anyway, independent of "spending interest." 

bet we won't.

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users