Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

we were just as apprehensive in Marsch's 1st season. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

And what have they done to get us closer to that?

lol, this is exactly my point. 

I think they are trying to do things that get us closer - and we can debate the efficacy of those things - but I think it's naive to assume that signing a DP will magically solve all our problems.

Do you want to give our HGPs playing time or do we want to trade them away? Do want to keep fan favorites on the roster who have never lifted a trophy for us until their bodies give out or do we get value from them and try to get fresh blood in? 

It's not like Giovinco, Bradley and Altidore won TFC a Cup. Henry didn't get us to any finals. 

I get that new signings are fun and that off-seasons are boring. That doesn't mean we don't already have a really good team. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I think if you find the right way to phrase it, you can make a statement.

Absolutely. Here's one I just came up with:

"We believe the guys we have on the roster are good enough to have another strong season. As usual, we have a couple of trialists with the team for preseason, and that has worked well for us for finding strong roster contributors in previous years. We are also always looking at opportunities to bring in difference makers at a number of positions that will set us up to be a strong contender for MLS Cup in 2017 and beyond." 

If someone from the RB brass says or publishes that tomorrow, will anyone feel any better? Not to be harping on this - I definitely want to know what's going on with Ali Curtis, and I sure as hell want a couple of reinforcements at the back, and possibly someone to help on offense - but "a statement from the FO" is the last thing that will help with these issues. Except maybe the Ali thing, but I presume that's still in flux, hence the silence about his absence.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I think they are trying to do things that get us closer - and we can debate the efficacy of those things - but I think it's naive to assume that signing a DP will magically solve all our problems.

Do you want to give our HGPs playing time or do we want to trade them away? Do want to keep fan favorites on the roster who have never lifted a trophy for us until their bodies give out or do we get value from them and try to get fresh blood in? 

It's not like Giovinco, Bradley and Altidore won TFC a Cup. Henry didn't get us to any finals. 

I get that new signings are fun and that off-seasons are boring. That doesn't mean we don't already have a really good team. 

I don't think anybody is saying we need to go a Giovinco-level player. But would it kill them to find someone breathing in the front office to come out say something like, "We're happy with our current roster and think we can compete for the East and MLS Cup, but we are still actively looking to add another defender or two." Nothing specific. Nothing that says they think they can't win with they've already got. I guess I'm just looking for anything that resembles news.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

I don't think anybody is saying we need to go a Giovinco-level player.

The OP of this thread clearly asked for signings to "improve our weaknesses" under the context of "other teams are signing DPs" - the title of this thread isn't "Can anyone just give us an update, like do we even intend to sign anyone else?"

But would it kill them to find someone breathing in the front office to come out say something like, "We're happy with our current roster and think we can compete for the East and MLS Cup, but we are still actively looking to add another defender or two." Nothing specific. Nothing that says they think they can't win with they've already got. I guess I'm just looking for anything that resembles news.

Yeah, news is cool. But news for the sake of news is pretty bleh. 

Something is going on. Ali is still missing. You hear cryptic remarks from the Lalassi of the world that something is still in the pipes. I truly don't think Dax would have been moved without a plan in place to use the funds. It just might take time. It might take another two months or until the summer. I know, that sucks, but this is MLS. 

We don't need 3 signings or 4 signings to "improve the team". If we're going to improve this team, it needs to be a very very specific player because OMFG WE HAVE A STACKED MLS SQUAD. Seriously. We have great players already. We had the best GD in the league last season and won the eastern conference after a very craptacular start. 

It's ridiculous to assert that we're in desperate need of changes to this squad. 

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

And even if someone from the FO would come up with any such statement, people in these boards would still find something to complain about. You just know there will be numerous new threads trying to read the leaves from such statement.

And you know the moment the team announces a new player who no one has ever heard of, everyone will complain about it too.

For the sake of your own sanity guys, just chill! I don't know how you would properly translate it but we have a saying: El futbol tiene para rato!

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

Now there's the good old fashioned doom and gloom that's been missing from this fan base recently. Its been a shitty off-season, but the only differences in last year's starting lineup and this year's are Dax for Davis and Duvall for Lade. We're 100% still a contender to top the Eastern conference.

I'd normally agree with you but what have we done to get better? We are just going to put out there the same team plus a couple HG and draft picks who haven't proven anything yet in MLS. That's not promising especially since we've had the same team for two years prior not even getting to MLS final . I mean insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome. Let's see what happens this year. Can't blame some people seeing basically the same lineup for three years in a row and not get excited.

LONG LIVE METRO

b00zeNYC

b00zeNYC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Supports:Zen

Pinning all hope on Collin and Perrinelle to not get injured all year and no apparent desire to do anything about the defense otherwise?

68165718.jpg

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I'd normally agree with you but what have we done to get better? We are just going to put out there the same team plus a couple HG and draft picks who haven't proven anything yet in MLS. That's not promising especially since we've had the same team for two years prior not even getting to MLS final . I mean insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome. Let's see what happens this year. Can't blame some people seeing basically the same lineup for three years in a row and not get excited.

I completely agree that as things stand we are marginally worse than last year, which is looking more and more due to FO turmoil, and I'm not pleased about that either.

But that is different than the attitude some fans are showing, as if they're already throwing in the towel and calling the year a waste. As things stand, I fully believe that we are a playoff team.

And this is where I'm sure many will strongly disagree with me, but I also believe that the playoffs in such a parity-driven league are almost entirely a crapshoot, and that you absolutely can bring the exact same roster into the playoffs year after year and expect different results. The Kreis years at RSL are a great example. Their approach to roster building was almost identical to ours today, very little turnover, built around their key players with youth, no splashy signings, and their playoff results ranged from first round exits to MLS Cup winners.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I realize that its a good problem to have, based on our history, that we have "too much" continuity here from year to year.   Just keeping the team together, to a certain degree, makes us better.  Absolutely.     But we have areas for improvement, and lost two key players ( I won't count Zubar), and we have done nothing to replace them.   And since we have so much money to play with, there's no reason why a DP should be out of consideration.  But DP or not, they have DONE NOTHING, and camp has already started.    Inexccusable.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

I completely agree that as things stand we are marginally worse than last year, which is looking more and more due to FO turmoil, and I'm not pleased about that either.

But that is different than the attitude some fans are showing, as if they're already throwing in the towel and calling the year a waste. As things stand, I fully believe that we are a playoff team.

And this is where I'm sure many will strongly disagree with me, but I also believe that the playoffs in such a parity-driven league are almost entirely a crapshoot, and that you absolutely can bring the exact same roster into the playoffs year after year and expect different results. The Kreis years at RSL are a great example. Their approach to roster building was almost identical to ours today, very little turnover, built around their key players with youth, no splashy signings, and their playoff results ranged from first round exits to MLS Cup winners.

No and I agree with you. If you're already throwing in the towel before we even play a preseason game then you're just straight out dumb sorry. But I don't think that's what he's saying . I think he meant it as "why am I going to
Keep paying you guys to get potentially the same results". It's tough to win MLS cup because the playoffs and regular season are two different animals. We can be top of the east for so many years but that doesn't mean anything if we can't make it work to our advantage in the playoffs. I mean to be fair when's the last time a team that won the supporters shield, won the cup? It's not just about regular season success, you need to have that mental toughness to grind and advance in the playoffs. That's why a lot of us wouldn't mind getting that one or two different players to see if they can change the mind set in that locker room that for whatever reason can't get it done in the playoffs. Addding the HGs is a start but a little experience wouldn't hurt either.

LONG LIVE METRO

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

I posted something in the first few weeks of last season when we were struggling. For years everyone complained how there was zero continuity from year to year. We used to clean house every off season and start fresh in the Spring, and people hated it. Now everyone bitches because we don't make any moves.

Yes there is a difference between continuity and dying on the vine at the hands of an FO with no one in charge, but fans will always complain.

Looking at the roster, do you honestly think they don't need to bring anyone else in?

The squad is solid -- but it needs another piece or two to get over the hump. Staying complacent with a core that has failed the past couple seasons isn't a good idea.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

Applaud the continuity, homegrown growth which is everything we have wanted for years.

I view Royer as 2017 addition who we got to preview last year.  Royer and perhaps 1 of (Veron or Ettienne or one of the other USL/HG guys) might be the trick.  If not there is the summer window. 

Need to look for D reinforcement. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
There's a difference between continuity & complacency. With how little time we have before CCL kicks off, with how little we've heard from the team, I think it's fair to wonder if it's the latter.

That said, I think we'll see a CB signing. But I also think it is as likely they believe Baah is the guy they want paired with Collin and that DP can bridge the gap until Baah is healthy.

And I'd be thrilled if they came out and said Muyl is our right back. Would relieve all concern for me about how they're going to handle that position until Lade is healthy.

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls
I expect us to take a step back this year and maximize profits for RB. Not a good feeling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users