122 replies to this topic

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Pinning all hope on Collin and Perrinelle to not get injured all year and no apparent desire to do anything about the defense otherwise?

68165718.jpg

Come on.

We had the leagues best goal differential in 2016. Our defenders didn't just turn into pumpkins in the off-season, they can still do a job. 

Collin will get red cards, but is one of MLS' best center backs

Baah is coming back from an injury, but should have a ton of upside and could be a top player in this league

Perinelle is a very dependable backup\starter when the above two are unable to play

Long and Bilyeu should offer cover from there, otherwise they should be cut and replaced with more dependable players. They are CB4 and CB5 right now. 

I still fully expect at least one more CB signing before the regular reason starts. 

I don't understand why people assume that we should have all these signings by now when recent history shows lots of late moves are par for the course here.  

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

I realize that its a good problem to have, based on our history, that we have "too much" continuity here from year to year.   Just keeping the team together, to a certain degree, makes us better.  Absolutely.     But we have areas for improvement, and lost two key players ( I won't count Zubar), and we have done nothing to replace them.   And since we have so much money to play with, there's no reason why a DP should be out of consideration.  But DP or not, they have DONE NOTHING, and camp has already started.    Inexccusable.

Dax was moved because his replacements are already here. Davis and Adams are studs. We don't need to sign anyone else. 

You're right in that a DP should not be out of consideration, but that's not the argument being made here. The OP here is clearly stating that they think we should already have a DP and is angered or concerned that we do not have a new DP signing so far. 

That's not the same thing as arguing that we should be open to considering a DP if they were a good fit for us and it made sense. 

We don't need a DP for the sake of just signing a DP. We should only sign one who's a good fit for our system and who can truly offer us something we don't already have. 

Otherwise, it just looks like you guys are asking for Frank Rost v2.0

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Come on.

We had the leagues best goal differential in 2016. Our defenders didn't just turn into pumpkins in the off-season, they can still do a job. 

Baah is coming back from an injury, but should have a ton of upside and could be a top player in this league
Perinelle is a very dependable backup\starter when the above two are unable to play
Long and Bilyeu should offer cover from there, otherwise they should be cut and replaced with more dependable players. They are CB4 and CB5 right now. 
I still fully expect at least one more CB signing before the regular reason starts. 

I don't understand why people assume that we should have all these signings by now when recent history shows lots of late moves are par for the course here.  

DP is 33. I think that's where the concern with him lies. And Bilyeu is a LB, no? Did he play games for RBNY2 at CB?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Come on.

Baah has proven nothing

Perrinelle was slow and will only be slower, with more cards

Bilyeu has only played fullback for us

Long is a ?

We won't have Dax in front of them

"par for the course here" is a gaping void where an MLS Cup is supposed to be.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

DP is 33. I think that's where the concern with him lies. And Bilyeu is a LB, no? Did he play games for RBNY2 at CB?

Bilyeu has played CB

DP is indeed 33, but is still serviceable.

Perrynelly, Collin and Baah can all miss games, but between the three of them, I think we're going to be covered. The three of them also take up enough salary cap that they must be considered CB1, CB2 and CB3.

If we sign any other CB's, it's going to be at the Omelette level of player. 

If one of the top 3 CB's goes out with an injury, we'll make an emergency signing. 

All that matter is that we make the play-offs and have a cohesive team before the end of the regular season. We've already demonstrated that we can blow off 1/4 of the season and still win the conference - WTF is everyone worried about? 

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

Baah has proven nothing

Perrinelle was slow and will only be slower, with more cards

Bilyeu has only played fullback for us

Long is a ?

We won't have Dax in front of them

"par for the course here" is a gaping void where an MLS Cup is supposed to be.

Baah hasn't had a chance to prove anything yet, but we have to have some faith in him with the salary he commands. He has to be given a chance

Perinelle is getting older, but is still serviceable and should be a backup

Bilyeu was drafted in 2016 and touted as being able to play CB and did in college. He should be given chances there with RBNY II, versatility is essential for MLS squads

Long is a CB and played there for the first team in the CCL last year

We can't play Dax until he's 40, something has to give there. We have stud prospects for this position, have faith or close the academy. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Bilyeu has played CB

DP is indeed 33, but is still serviceable.

Perrynelly, Collin and Baah can all miss games, but between the three of them, I think we're going to be covered. The three of them also take up enough salary cap that they must be considered CB1, CB2 and CB3.

If we sign any other CB's, it's going to be at the Omelette level of player. 

If one of the top 3 CB's goes out with an injury, we'll make an emergency signing. 

All that matter is that we make the play-offs and have a cohesive team before the end of the regular season. We've already demonstrated that we can blow off 1/4 of the season and still win the conference - WTF is everyone worried about? 

in theory you are right, but if you are going to trade the captain of a team and expect to not be criticized, you better do more than resign everyone and sign homegrowns  

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

hey, it's only pre-season, but watching non-DP and young players ball for real was kinda fun to watch, like RB2 was last yr. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

hey, it's only pre-season, but watching non-DP and young players ball for real was kinda fun to watch, like RB2 was last yr. 

All it takes for 2 of the kids to develop into first team regulars and FO will look like geniuses. 

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
So we traded one our best players and have not said why we did it nor plans for the money and salary freed up.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

Can't expect them to announce their plans... That makes no sense.

And it's pretty clear who Dax's replacement is.  

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

i'm of the belief that the allocation dollars went to buying down Collin's and Royer's salaries, in addition to pay off some raises for players on the lower end of the roster.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

i'm of the belief that the allocation dollars went to buying down Collin's and Royer's salaries, in addition to pay off some raises for players on the lower end of the roster.

Exactly. At least when we traded Cooper, Petke was honest saying it was a casualty of the salary cap. This time around, "hey, pack your bags you just got traded. Have a nice life"

Thunderbolt7

Thunderbolt7

Second Banana

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Supports:Metro

There's nothing wrong with waiting until the summer to see if you need to acquire a DP-caliber player. The team's issue is consistently poor play in tournaments, not during the regular season. There may be a slow start and one or more slumps, but barring widespread crippling injuries this team will be playoff caliber (not a high bar to set, honestly) without any further additions.

If they're smart, they use the Open Cup as a litmus test to gauge the efficacy of this group and/or whatever tactical changes Marsch has in mind. If they lose to Philly (or this season's reasonable 5th/6th seed equivalent) in their first match again, then you go out and find a difference maker.

If they fail to make any changes in such a scenario, then everyone should feel free to set RBA aflame. That's a lot of branching logic to get through first, though.

"On the wall behind my desk is the greatest symbol of American power ever -- no, not Jeff Agoos..." -Michael Davies

Steve Jolley......noted philanthropist
Steve Jolley......guarantor of victory
Steve Jolley......temporary forward
Steve Jolley......thirty second substitute
Steve Jolley......Vanity Fair's most wanted man

Steve Jolley......300-page plan consultant

Steve Jolley......live podcast color commentator
Steve Jolley......everyman
Steve Jolley......bleeder
Steve Jolley......HERO.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Exactly. At least when we traded Cooper, Petke was honest saying it was a casualty of the salary cap. This time around, "hey, pack your bags you just got traded. Have a nice life"

I found the statement you're looking for. Just replace Lloyd Sam with Dax McCarty.

http://www.mlssoccer...-very-difficult

“It was done with the future in mind, but also with the present,” head coach Jesse Marsch said on Friday. “It wasn’t done specifically for a player move, right now. Let me make that clear. There’s some potential for some player moves in this transfer window. This was done on a lot of different levels to strengthen our club. The allocation helps with flexibility for the roster, it helps for flexibility for future moves. We also think there’s potential for guys that are here to step up and fill the void in a major way.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users