536 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
[quote name="67% Class" post="1408451" timestamp="1652974458"]Ok. I'll answer, even if this is borderline ad hominem.[/quote]
I would expect nothing less from you.
[quote]I am a consultant and I sell consulting services.[/quote]
When did consulting & marketing become the same?
[quote]Rule one in consulting - you don't consult for free. If something is free, then it's not worth anything. [/quote]
I often say: free advice is worth what you are paying for it.
[quote]My work and product is worth something. [/quote]
I will reserve judgement on that.
[quote]At the core of your argument (which I am sure is just your bored stick poking as usual), I think you might be confused [/quote]
Ooh, the ad hominem attack arrives!
Rich, when you have missed the entire point!
[quote]what RBNY is selling. You seem to think its tickets. [/quote]
Amazing. You figured this all out already.
[quote]Based on the article you posted [/quote]
Which I did not write, but must adopt?
[quote]you are saying give out free tickets, as a taste. [/quote]
I did not create free samples, or loss leaders.
But they exist for a reason.
[quote]RBNY doesnt sell tickets. RBNY sells themselves, as a brand, as something worth an emotional investment (and the monetary investment that comes along with that).[/quote]
Try not to drink the Kool-Aid.
[quote]The reason people arent coming to games isnt because the cost. Its because people don't think the team is worth 30% of their free weekend time. [/quote]
Another remarkable insight! You in Mensa?
[quote]there still is Covid. We haven't been to games yet [/quote]
The Chicken Little approach to life.
Perhaps someday you will be able to leave your house.

Edit: not sure why the quote function is not working

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I would expect nothing less from you.

When did consulting & marketing become the same?

I often say: free advice is worth what you are paying for it.

I will reserve judgement on that.

Ooh, the ad hominem attack arrives!
Rich, when you have missed the entire point!

You figured this out all by yourself?

Which I did not write, but must adopt?

I did not create free samples, or loss leaders.
But they exist for a reason.

Try not to drink the Kool-Aid.

Another remarkable insight! You in Mensa?

The Chicken Little approach to life.
Perhaps someday you will be able to leave your house.

You are really weird, man. I don't think you even believe free ticket give aways are the best way to attract fans, but you have to argue. 

Just regarding the chicken little comment, my kid is 4, and not vaccinated. Different risk assessments for different people. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

You are really weird, man. you have to argue. 

You are on a message board! Who agrees?

my kid is 4, and not vaccinated.

Do you never leave the house? Intermingle?
You realize that you could transmit to your child?
No offense meant. Just an observation.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

I like the mid week games with low(er) attendance.  Mostly people who want to be there + 100 Albanians in my section to see Shaquiri  :-)

yes attendance is a tough nut to crack.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

I like the mid week games with low(er) attendance.  Mostly people who want to be there + 100 Albanians in my section to see Shaquiri.

The crowd took a while to fill in. Empty at kick-off.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

I think one thing that will move the needle on this a little is MLS guys playing well in the World Cup.  It's really the only chance for MLS players to play competitive games against the biggest names in the sport, and fans who wouldn't otherwise go out of their way to watch an MLS game will be watching.  If Aaron Long/Walker Zimmerman totally dominate Harry Kane on 11/25, or Jordan Morris scores twice to knock Holland out in the second round, there will be more respect for MLS and maybe a slight bump in attendance.  

To a lesser degree, a good showing by an MLS team, particularly  if they play the Champion's League winner, in the Club World Cup might have a similar effect.

The problem is this has proven not to have much impact after 2002, 2010 and 2014 where MLS players did very well in the World Cup.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not remember an appreciable increase in attendance and interest in the Metrostars after Clint Mathis was one of the stars of the 2002 team.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

You are on a message board! Who agrees?

Sure, but constant arguing and then pulling back enters the realm of trolling. Do you really thinking giving away free tickets is an effective, primary means to get more long term fans? I don't think you do, I think you are just trying to troll on a message board.

Do you never leave the house? Intermingle?
You realize that you could transmit to your child?
No offense meant. Just an observation.

It's just calls. Kid has to go to school, sports, parties, museum.... but maybe she doesnt have to go to an RBNY match in the next 2 months. Not that there is ever time, anyway, between the aforementioned. 

I didnt bring that up as a personal note, but merely just anecdotal evidence that a percentage of the population (my family included) is still perhaps overly cautious over covid and this affects attendance. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

constant arguing and then pulling back enters the realm of trolling.

There show be an ebb and flow to exchanges,
even on a message board.
It does not have to devolve into name-calling and
personal attacks, which you appear to have chosen.

Do you really thinking giving away free tickets is an effective, primary means to get more fans?

Freebies are one of many marketing tools.
No need to rank them. Effectiveness varies.
Game tickets have a short shelf life.
Once the game begins, empty seats are worthless.
Clubs calculate that first-timers will waste money
on concessions and merchandise. Some will return.
Like everyone here, I cannot figure out how RB,
which has marketed Mountain Dew + caffeine
into a very successful brand globally, failed here.
Opposition was far worse in Salzburg & Leipzig.

Kid doesnt have to go to an RBNY match 

Perhaps you have not noticed from watching on TV,
but there are vast open spaces within RBA

anecdotal evidence

The bane of consultants and marketers. n of 1.

bukie2k

bukie2k

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Supports:ManU, Cosmos, Metros

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not remember an appreciable increase in attendance and interest in the Metrostars after Clint Mathis was one of the stars of the 2002 team.

There wasn't much, if any, increase in attendance after the '02 World Cup. The first game or three afterwards there may have been a slight uptick from the curious types coming out to see a game in person. When the in-person product didn't match up to what they had spent the previous month watching on TV they quickly moved on. It was more or less wash, rinse, repeat after '06, '10, & '14. 20 years on the product has improved so maybe an equally strong, or better, showing this year like in '02 might stoke a few embers with the curiosity types that come out.

Too bad MLS missed the mark by not being ready to roll after the '94 WC, casual interest in soccer was probably the highest it has even been in this country right after that tournament.

When you are born, you get a ticket to the freak show. If you are born in the United States, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

cmack

cmack

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Supports:RedBulls/MetroStars

No one new to MLS wants to follow energy drink FC.   

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

No one new to MLS wants to follow energy drink FC.   

I dont know. Munson and his friends grew up going to Red Bull camps. They associate Red Bull more with soccer than they do with energy drink bc that was their first exposure to the brand.

cmack

cmack

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Supports:RedBulls/MetroStars

I dont know. Munson and his friends grew up going to Red Bull camps. They associate Red Bull more with soccer than they do with energy drink bc that was their first exposure to the brand.

alot of kids have gone to those camps.  they still can't bring people to the stadium.  and even worse, in my opinion, RB no longer concerns themselves with fielding a good team anymore. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

alot of kids have gone to those camps.  they still can't bring people to the stadium.  and even worse, in my opinion, RB no longer concerns themselves with fielding a good team anymore. 

RB is definitely not concerned with going all out to win, I agree with that. Thats a big reason thats hurting attendance. Alls Im saying is that Im not sure the name Red Bull is turning new fans away.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

RB is definitely not concerned with going all out to win, I agree with that. Thats a big reason thats hurting attendance. Alls Im saying is that Im not sure the name Red Bull is turning new fans away.

Totally agree. The franchise may have lost hundreds (or thousands?) of fans when RB took over but it's not really a meaninfgul factor decreasing attendance these days.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Red Bull is trying to win but with a specific strategy that isnt drawing people to the games. They are winning with youth. If you mean Red Bull isnt trying to outright buy a championship by trying to sign proven big name winners than I can agree with that. It is just that I dont think people are coming out to see players unless its really top international stars. Who would move the needle here? Mbappe? Salah? Bale? Its certainly not Luquinhas or Klimala or local guys like Nealis from Massapequa or Fernandez from The Bronx. And winning alone wont bring people in; we are pretty good so far this season despite our home woes. People know MLS is perhaps the 15th best league in the world. The local media doesnt cover us or the league. New Yorkers want to see the very top, otherwise they will spend their time and money watching the Yankees, Rangers, Nets, Broadway, etc. The name Red Bull is not turning new fans away, but it isnt attracting them. I dont pay too much attention to their attendance, but are defending MLS Cup champions NYCFC selling out wherever they play each week? New Yorkers are fickle, and the Red Bulls play in a God-awful location, at least for this Long Islander. I still think the pandemic hangover is costing them at least 2-3k fans a match. A lot working against them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users