1252 replies to this topic

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

I love BWP. And he is is an absolute legend. But his career here is over. It is time to move on. I don't see how you could think otherwise if you watched him this year. He's 35 years old. Father time is undefeated. Its really sad, but its true.

It is sad. I hope he retires and can continue with the club in some capacity. But I dont get the sense thats gonna happen.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I love BWP. And he is is an absolute legend. But his career here is over. It is time to move on. I don't see how you could think otherwise if you watched him this year. He's 35 years old. Father time is undefeated. Its really sad, but its true.

Don't think he was ever fully fit this year. If he gets back to full fitness and also agrees to significantly cut his salary, I'd be absolutely fine with him staying on as a roster player as opposed to a guaranteed starter.

It's not like we have a guaranteed better performer there at the moment. White/Barlow are decent and are (and should be) ahead of a hurt BWP, sure, but they are not miles better.

If the alternative is signing a sub-30yo TAM or DP player, by all means go ahead and do that, but getting rid of BWP just because seems unnecessary at this point.

I think of BWP as a better Wondolowski, and Wondo still scored 15 goals this year at 36 (10 in 2018).

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Don't think he was ever fully fit this year. If he gets back to full fitness...

I think its a terrible move to count on IFS.

In building for next season I wouldnt count on BWP, Valot or Duncan AT ALL. BWP because of the severity of the injury AND age and Valot and Duncan because theyve managed to seriously injured themselves in multiple seasons now.

If the price is right for any/all of them then you keep them but you dont pencil them in as starters or even the #1 backup option.

And I dont want to hear any nonsense about you cant have so many talented players on an MLS roster. We were at the bottom of the league in spending. We can absolutely spend way WAY more.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

In building for next season I wouldnt count on BWP, Valot or Duncan AT ALL. BWP because of the severity of the injury AND age and Valot and Duncan because theyve managed to seriously injured themselves in multiple seasons now.

If the price is right for any/all of them then you keep them but you dont pencil them in as starters or even the #1 backup option.

And I dont want to hear any nonsense about you cant have so many talented players on an MLS roster. We were at the bottom of the league in spending. We can absolutely spend way WAY more.

Yes you keep them because Valot and Duncan are on highly favorable contracts.  Yes you pencil in Duncan as starter and you identify a good back up.  Duncan has a hamstring strain which is not serious and likely only 2-4 weeks.  

Valot is already back in training and was a candidate for possible returning this year if I understood correctly.

BWP - don't count on him but if he wants to take a favorable contract and can be half of his former self and a good Wondo impersonation then keep him.  

They should spend to bring in younger players more like Almiron and Kaku.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

The acquisition of Jorgensen in and of itself was not a bad thing - in fact, I'd argue it's a great thing. It's just him being the only acquisition that's the problem. 

This is what I've been getting at elsewhere. If we are going to be a feeder club, we should at least be enjoying the benefits of being such. All we are doing is getting fucked whenever a miracle happens and we produce an Adams. 

---------------

There has been a lot of sadness and desperation over the years with this team- but I think year/off-season matches any of those times for me. In the past, at least I saw a path towards us being relevant in the league. For Metro - that was always tied to this league being whacky and having near complete parity. For RBNY - that was always a part of it too. But part of that had to do with investment. And some of it had to do with the academy being miles ahead.

None of those things are true anymore.  

Something has to change. In fact, a lot has to change. My only hope is that it's noticed (surely it has to be?) and that they'll make fundamental changes to how this team is run. It could be the approach above, or perhaps they could see the success ATL is having both in the league and financially and copy that (doubtful). 

I'm not holding my breath and I sadly see a long, long season ahead in 2020. 

"The Window Closes" - thanks MF - I suppose I don't ever have to try to find a way to express my thoughts on this topic again, because you just posted a masterclass. 

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Don't think he was ever fully fit this year. If he gets back to full fitness and also agrees to significantly cut his salary, I'd be absolutely fine with him staying on as a roster player as opposed to a guaranteed starter.

It's not like we have a guaranteed better performer there at the moment. White/Barlow are decent and are (and should be) ahead of a hurt BWP, sure, but they are not miles better.

If the alternative is signing a sub-30yo TAM or DP player, by all means go ahead and do that, but getting rid of BWP just because seems unnecessary at this point.

I think of BWP as a better Wondolowski, and Wondo still scored 15 goals this year at 36 (10 in 2018).

Fair point about Wondo being 36. But I disagree with the bolded. White and Barlow are miles better than BWP at this point in time. IF he could somehow get back fit and play well and be a super sub, then yes we could keep him. I just don't see any reason to believe that's gonna happen. He looked old and slow at the end of last year, same at the beginning of this year - then sat out months injured, and came back and looked even worse.  Its not like he came back and played 1 or 2 games. He slowly came back, took his time, managed his minutes, and still showed nothing.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

i thought this was the plan going fwd in Jan of '18. not getting the super expensive SoAm players, but ones that'll cost some $$$, but a collection of them on a team that presses and can make quick precise passes to the finisher(s) up top.

instead we got 2019.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Definitely not counting on BWP to be a 20-goal guy next season. But we currently have 3 strikers, so I don't think "get rid of BWP" is out most pressing need.

Yes, his salary should be much lower if he's to be around next year. No, he shouldn't start if he's at the level from this year. Yes, we should ideally sign one or two forwards to start ahead of all 3 of White/Barlow/BWP. Until then, I don't see a need to force BWP out.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

It is possible that ownership saw how well we did the past few seasons and just thought - "we don't need to spend that much to be successful in this league"  We won the Shield with the lowest payroll, so why spend a ton of money on young talent if we don't really need it? (I'm not agreeing with that - I'm just trying to see it from their point of view). Maybe they thought that just Kaku would be enough. Maybe they thought Jorgensen would make an immediate impact (obviously he didn't). Well...now it is clear that we need more talent. Lets  see what happens this off season. 

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

That's the best case scenario - that results dictated their policy and will do so moving forward. 

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

It is possible that ownership saw how well we did the past few seasons and just thought - "we don't need to spend that much to be successful in this league"  We won the Shield with the lowest payroll, so why spend a ton of money on young talent if we don't really need it? (I'm not agreeing with that - I'm just trying to see it from their point of view). Maybe they thought that just Kaku would be enough. Maybe they thought Jorgensen would make an immediate impact (obviously he didn't). Well...now it is clear that we need more talent. Lets  see what happens this off season. 

Which I do not think was entirely unreasonable.  BWP and Murillo falling off a cliff and Kaku regressing were not expected. Even if you expected the team to get 10% worse based on the loss of Adams, 90% of the best regular season team in history should be enough to compete for a Shield and Cup. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

i thought this was the plan going fwd in Jan of '18. not getting the super expensive SoAm players, but ones that'll cost some $$$, but a collection of them on a team that presses and can make quick precise passes to the finisher(s) up top.

instead we got 2019.

We had a Supporter Shield record setting team that returned 10 starters and although we lost Adams we added a different player in CCJ with RZA in the mix.  They fumbled badly with Jorgen$en evaluation and then injuries and drop off (on the player on the coach - drop off none the less).  

The league is moving towards more $$$ spent. Lets see what they do for the first team as they are spending more on the academy 

(glad I can talk about this because I am still hurting over that game from Sunday - right wrong to be expected but brutal ending none the less as the Thats So Metro roller coaster continues)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Which I do not think was entirely unreasonable.  BWP and Murillo falling off a cliff and Kaku regressing were not expected. Even if you expected the team to get 10% worse based on the loss of Adams, 90% of the best regular season team in history should be enough to compete for a Shield and Cup. 

Exactly. Like I understand that in a way we are a feeder team (so is every MLS team) but I genuinely think that Kaku was brought in to try and help us a win a Cup. I don't believe that they just bought him with the hopes of selling him to Salzburg or Leipzig. I really don't. It's very possible that Hamlet (not trying to defend him) went to ownership and said "we want to spend more" and they ownership said "WTF. Spend more? No way. We just bought Kaku for 7M or w/e it was and you just finished in 1st place...go win with this team" 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Yes you keep them because Valot and Duncan are on highly favorable contracts.  Yes you pencil in Duncan as starter and you identify a good back up.  Duncan has a hamstring strain which is not serious and likely only 2-4 weeks.  
Valot is already back in training and was a candidate for possible returning this year if I understood correctly.
BWP - don't count on him but if he wants to take a favorable contract and can be half of his former self and a good Wondo impersonation then keep him.  

On those salaries?! Of course you keep Valot and Duncan!!!

Im just saying dont count on them to contribute. And quite frankly there is no harm in that cautious approach because we have an incredibly low payroll. IMO for a club in our PARTICULAR position this is completely reasonable.

What did I say last off season? Dont count on Taxior Duncan because theyre coming back from bad injuries and dont count on Murillo cause he wants to leave. Outside back is absolutely an area of need.

Thats what I said. And guess what? Murillo is playing like crap and still wants to leave. And holy crap would you look at that Duncan got injured again and here we are with the SAME EXACT PROBLEM IN THE FIRST ROUND IN THE PLAYOFFS.

Yeah, it was a disaster scenario at outside back but if you run this thing with nervous energy about injuries you set yourself up for success down the line. And AGAIN, theres no reason not to bring in more warm bodies. We have the money.

Now of course we ALSO need to spend in other areas. Which we should theoretically be able to do. Cause our roster as constructed is one of the least expensive in MLS.

USMNT fans wont like to hear this but Id bet the house on that abdominal injury or whatever the hell it is to continue to plague Adams his entire career.

Staying healthy is a skill. Some players have it and some dont.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

No way can we count on Valot after two ACLs and BWP, who was done even before the injury. Even as a back-up I'd rather give a chance to someone else, like White or the young Scandinavian fellow from RB II. If Valot manages to have an injury free season (tough ask), then is a bonus. Duncan maybe, but we still need another depth guy in addition to Murillo. I don't want to see likes of Lade and Buck on the roster anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users