#1 -cman-

-cman-

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, Liverpool, Celtic

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:17 PM

I brought my 9 year-old son to his first Fire game Saturday. We had a great time at the tailgate and had a generally fabulous time at one of the great matches. During the tailgate, a little bird had told me something to the effect that there would be a rather large flaring going on. My last words to the guy were, "Be careful, don't hurt yourself or anyone else."

If you have the stones to bring 'em in and light 'em off then you also need to have the stones to make sure you don't hurt yourself or anyone else. At the end of the day, you are lighting off objects that contain their own oxidizer and burn at a more than a thousand degrees. Anything they come into contact with is going to burn or be burned. Badly. Keep the pyro back among the grown-ups and DON'T EVER THROW a lit flare. I love it and respect it, but if you light 'em off you have to at least have the minimum level of maturity to make sure you are ensuring the safety of yourself and others around you.

If anyone ever gets seriously hurt (god forbid a minor) those involved will be looking at more than a night in the pokey and a fine. I love some of you people too much to see your lives and souls ruined by something as trivial as pyro at a soccer game. To say nothing of the matter of what it will do to the relationship between Section 8 and the club. I will set us back years and will make past issues with the club and Monterey seem like a paradise.

So, all I'm asking for is this: If you can handle the security heat for bringing 'em in then you are surely big enough to make sure you don't hurt anyone, EVEN IF IT GUARANTEES YOU WILL BE BUSTED. If you can't do that, then you can't handle them, okay?

I'm now going to go donate for this week's tifo and if everything goes right will be bringing my eight year-old to her first Fire game this weekend.

#2 Section8

Section8

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:31 PM

Right on. If anyone fucks shit up for everyone by doing something seriously stupid, they'll have to live with the consequences for themselves and everyone else.

#3 jogadubwise

jogadubwise

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Liverpool

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:32 PM

If you need to get rid of it, carefully put it on the ground, DO NOT FUCKING THROW IT.
QUOTE (chicubfan @ May 29 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I interned in the FO for a little while and trust me they are so dumb had they payed off the refs they probably would have presented them one of those huge checks during halftime on the field.

QUOTE (joey @ Oct 8 2009, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
halloween specific stadium.

#4 joey

joey

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Supports:chicago fire and the arsenal

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:48 PM

Right on. If anyone fucks shit up for everyone by doing something seriously stupid, they'll have to live with the consequences for themselves and everyone else.

a serious injury in the stands could lead to the end of our club.

that is not hyperbole.

"If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing."

"I don't approve of your methods."
"Yeah, well... you're not from Chicago."

http://peterlowry.ytmnd.com/

#5 goldstone97

goldstone97

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Albion, Red Stars

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:06 PM

a serious injury in the stands could lead to the end of our club.

that is not hyperbole.

Very true. I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to pick up the pieces.
Section 8 Chicago Chair

WB05 :: Pitch Invasion

#6 AccountDeleted1

AccountDeleted1

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:31 AM

If you need to get rid of it, carefully put it on the ground, DO NOT FUCKING THROW IT.

:blink:

Did someone actually throw a flair? Come on... that's just plain stupid.

#7 JanderVK

JanderVK

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Supports:CF, CRS, US, DFB, Gladbach, 1.FFCF

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:47 AM

Indeed.

Also, watch out so you don't burn other peoples flags and other tifo! Someone burned the Stewie two pole and someones Chicago flag the other night! Not only are you going to ruin someones tifo they made, but it can also cause a great deal of harm!

We are Section 8! We are Section 8! In the eyes of Fire!

#8 Jay-Z

Jay-Z

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Supports:Sector Latino, Chicago Fire

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:56 AM

Also, from my understanding of it, using marine signal flares instead of the cheap road flares you can get anywhere reduces the amount of dripping molten slag that comes off of it.

Somebody with more experience can probably add more to this, but basically, just grabbing the emergency flare out of the back of your car can result in a very dangerous situation, especially if you're not experienced with handling them.

#9 pezkoreaddict

pezkoreaddict

Pezkore Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire - Ultras Red Side

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:27 AM

Someone burned the Stewie two pole

that SOB was lucky i kept my head on and tom stepped in to get him out. he was told twice by tom and i to stop picking up the flare. on the third time he decided to drop it on stewie and start the whole upper half on fire. somehow the URS two pole underneath it survived. yeah, i know anything in there is free game, but shit. the flare was on the ground behind me and fine. this was just being plain stupid.

marine/orion solas flares are indeed safe because they don't emit molten slag, but you still have to realize it's a flare. things are flammable and pointed in the wrong direction it can and will burn someone.

#10 Eiki

Eiki

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

yeah, i LOVE flares but i have to admit that i got more than a little uneasy when I saw someone holding up a lit flare right in the middle of a group of waving flags. come on, you've got to be smarter than that. frankly, i think it's safest if the flares are just dropped on the ground as soon as they're lit (making sure that there's no banners or whatnot that could catch fire nearby, of course).

#11 The Herr

The Herr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:13 PM

Avoid dripping molten slag....Practice safe flaring like y'all would practice safe sex!!!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#12 joey

joey

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Supports:chicago fire and the arsenal

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:18 PM

Avoid dripping molten slag....Practice safe flaring like y'all would practice safe sex!!!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

for a lot of us, that is a terrible simile...

"If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing."

"I don't approve of your methods."
"Yeah, well... you're not from Chicago."

http://peterlowry.ytmnd.com/

#13 Chow

Chow

Player/Manager

• S8 Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts
  • Supports:Huddalis Aviation, B&CA

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:06 PM

Allegedly

#14 The Herr

The Herr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

for a lot of us, that is a terrible simile...

Practice safe sex much??? Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#15 -cman-

-cman-

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, Liverpool, Celtic

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

I'm fully cognizant of the fact that this is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, the flares add immeasurably to the atmosphere and visuals of the game. Look at the thread for the game and see how many soccer and mainstream sites have used imagery of the flaring in the last few days. It got major play at The Original Winger, and at the Tribune Blog.

On the other hand, people - often immature, drunk people are playing with fire among a tightly packed crowd littered with flammable material.

The solution is obvious: The Club can make this problem go away by authorizing supervised, safe displays of Pyro. That way they get to reap the reward of the priceless optics and keep people from getting hurt.

And yes, I'm perfectly aware that ISA has been going around and around with the Club about this for years. I'm just saying it as a 43 year-old, professional and family person whose been in and around Section 8 since about 1999 and who wants to raise his three kids to be rabid Fire fans and to spread the gospel of soccer love to the unlettered masses out here on the west bank of the Mississippi.

I showed the video to a friend who I am trying to get to come with me to a game with his kid. He's a tough guy but his reaction was, "That looks dangerous as hell." And he's right.

I want to be able to tell him. "Yeah, it's all done by pros."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users