251 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

there is a formula to win in MLS: it's to build with young American players and augment it with smart international signings. It's been done again, again, and again. Just never by us.

Hard to do this, when we field a team with one American starter.

the league rules force you into situations like this. ... if I cut these two players I can get 70k in allocation ... MLS knows what kind of players occupy those roster spots

+1 Change the rule! This will keep more young Americans on MLS rosters.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Even if some of these moves look to be good moves when looking back, you can't take them one at a time. And once you put all these moves together, you get what we have now, 16 years of utter failure.

Throughout these 16 years, the team has been consistent in one thing: it always, ALWAYS gets rid of its young American players. And, as pointed out above, many of these players go on to achieve and win ELSEWHERE. This happened every single year, under even single coach and every single general manager. And the team has failed time and time again.

We don't know if Hot and Kassel will ever amount to anything in MLS. We don't know if they are better than the trialists they are bringing it to replace them. But what we do know is that there is a formula to win in MLS: it's to build with young American players and augment it with smart international signings. It's been done again, again, and again. Just never by us.

Hey, I've been following the team for a long time too (much longer than I've participated on this site), so I know how frustrating it has been to watch so many players leave to succeed elsewhere. But when you look at Soler and Backe's track record so far with players, usually their instincts are correct about the players. With the exception of DeRo and Mendes, they've pretty much been on the money when it came to letting players go.

Sometimes, as a fanbase, we flip out over things that in retrospect seem a little silly. Remember when everyone was in an uproar because Danny Szetela went to Columbus? How did that work out? Or how about how angry everyone got when Tim Ward was traded? That doesn't seem like a big deal now, does it?

Just because we lose a player, it doesn't necessarily mean that we are getting screwed as a fanbase.

Metromaniac01

Metromaniac01

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, US Nats, SMF

http://www.bigapples...rticle_id=29791

Mandatory reading for anyone that cares about this team and where it is going....but i am sure some fuck face will chime in to defend the dckholes on charge.

Wow. Sounds beat in Metro land.

GMoney

GMoney

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Team Source: "Young players are never given a chance. They're basically used as traffic cones in practice."

AWESOME!! :cheers:

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
Young Red Bulls Players Treated Like Traffic Cones, Kristian Dyer

Wow. This just sounds unacceptable.

Chic Charnley

Chic Charnley

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Interests:football, soccer, futball....etc
  • Supports:NYRB & PTFC
All about selling ourselves short

It's all about the now. Winning now. F*ck the future.

..and.........how's that working for us?

simont

simont

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls USMNT Tottenham Hotspur
Just when I was thinking wow Soler and Backe Get it they do this I am starting to wonder if they are dumber than GWB was or is. Any Case fire Backe And fire Soler these 2 are the biggest dumb ass out side of Agoos and JCO.

whoshotsam

whoshotsam

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Chelsea
Marginal squad players weren't good enough so they got cut. It happens all over the world, but somehow it's an outrage here.
"Defeatism is punishable by death." - You Suck Corrales

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Marginal squad players weren't good enough so they got cut. It happens all over the world, but somehow it's an outrage here.

+1

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

simont

simont

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls USMNT Tottenham Hotspur
Why there is outrage about this is that they wrare never givein a chance to show what they had to offer yes they had a chance in training but that is not the same as playing a game.

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
This is so strange. Dax and agudelo are probably gutted. I wouldnt be shocked if dax demands a trade or if he's already being gift wrapped for another mls team as we speak

5 year plan

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund
  • Supports:MetroStars

You are like the poster child for castration.

He's absolutely spot-on with his assessment, to be fair.

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

Calpico

Calpico

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Fulham, April 25 Sports Club
I see why Hot was cut, but I thought Kassel was gonna be doing somke big things this coming season according to Petke...
"There are no time-out's in soccer? ... Really?" - Coach John McGuirk

http://calpicotime.tumblr.com/

tat106

tat106

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Supports:MetroReds, USMNT

but on topic... I just think the nature of managing an MLS team forces you into decisions like this. It comes down to how much you can squeeze out of the cap and Soler\Backe have a "win now" approach that doesnt give us the warm fuzzies we all want.

It's all about winning in 2012. Backe/Soler don't want to waste a roster spot & cash on draft picks or academy players. Never mind the off chance that these youth players could provide a spark or add a new dynamic to the side (I'm now convinced that a 2008 Dane Richards would've been cut in favor of Markus Schopp under this Backe/Soler regime). Any young American they want, will come from a domestic league that they're familiar with as it seems they have no faith in the US college game(Ream's the exception and I'm thanking ABMOD for that one) or even their own academy.

I don't know where this leaves us in 2013 but it seems like management took that Adidas "All In" catchphrase to heart for this season.

"It's not genius, it's practice." - Thierry Henry

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Why there is outrage about this is that they wrare never givein a chance to show what they had to offer yes they had a chance in training but that is not the same as playing a game.

Yep, so when Arsenal and Man U needed help they thought about fairness and reached into their deep programs and gave a chance to Henry and Scholes, right?

Wrong, they only thought about winning. They didn't say here is my chance to give a young bloke a chance, they said what do I have to win and they chose maturity over inexperience in the situations where it mattered.

You don't have to like it, but Hans likes experience. Maybe in MLS that is the wrong strategy, but he has traded for many US or MLS-based players that he believed had the experience he was looking for. That he and Soler have come to learn that trading in the MLS is tough, they have learned to look elsewhere, which includes the US lower divisions (Arteaga, etc).

Hans is not the nurturing type. You are not changing that old dog. He's nearly got all of the tools lined up and he's going to go for it. It may blow up in his face, but that's the hand we've been dealt for 2012.

If you haven't, everyone should see the movie Moneyball. Here was the "can't miss" prospect Billie Beene, the guy with all the tools, not just some, yet he couldn't cut it in the majors. This stuff happens every day of the year in pro sports. MLS doesn't have a minor league system where they can send players to till they are ready. Football drafts a huge number of players and cuts so many every year. I think the average tenure in football is only 6 years or so. Most players hang around for a few years and then are gone. Not that many manage to play for 10-15 years.

Like I said in my first post, I was surprised by Kassel and am sorry these guys aren't cutting it, but I watch in baseball how the top teams use prospects in trades all the time. It's part of life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users