79 replies to this topic

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Is there any chance he gets fired at the end of this upcoming season because of this?

Last night's CCL playoff elimination loss to Vancouver marked the third consecutive year in Marsch's tenure where his team has lost to, in my opinion, an inferior team going into the series. Columbus in 2015, Montreal last year and an injury-depleted Vancouver this year.

Part of the blame lies on the players for not showing up and missing PKs and sitters. The blame also lies on Marsch though for not being tactically smart enough to figure out how to win playoff games when teams bunker down, which has happened in all three rounds in which the club got eliminated.

With what seems like the inevitable choke coming up again at the end of this season, will the FO sack him? I think anything less than an MLS Cup appearance and you have to. He's had this group for years now and is familiar with their strengths and weaknesses, and should be able to improve things that need improvement. Yet he hasn't. Again. And the cost is another competition blown with this core which is only going to get older.

It's similar to Arsene Wenger's situation but over a smaller period of time. If you are consistently successful in the regular season that is great, but if you keep losing where it counts people are going to want you fired.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

To be fair. JM has produced the exact same results as Petke basically. Maybe it's not the coach eh?

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Who even fires him at this point? He runs the entire show here, and I really don't think Austria would do it as long as we're at least making the playoffs. Our team just by existing fulfills their goals and expectations.

And yeah, I'm honestly starting to doubt Marsch as a coach. We're a one trick pony tactically, and when that trick doesn't produce turnovers in the final third, we're doomed. So we're not tactically flexible, his substitutions often make make no sense... What exactly does Marsch actually bring to the table?

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls

So we're not tactically flexible, his substitutions often make make no sense... What exactly does Marsch actually bring to the table?

We can start with dumping veron and bringing in some true world class talent.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I doubt they fire Marsch.  He seems to in line with how Austria wants to play/runa a team.  Should he be fired is a different question.

I think this is probably the last year for Sacha & BWP, no matter the outcome.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

It continues to come back to the fact that they canned Petke for similar results. I don't think the results dictated that move, however, so I don't believe that will result in Marsch being canned.

I think GmBH wants a company man who plays by the rules and greases the right palms. If he does that and produces average or above results, he stays.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

It continues to come back to the fact that they canned Petke for similar results. I don't think the results dictated that move, however, so I don't believe that will result in Marsch being canned.

I think GmBH wants a company man who plays by the rules and greases the right palms. If he does that and produces average or above results, he stays.

Agreed, Petke was fired for reasons other than results.

nlk10010

nlk10010

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

You're pretty good at throwing Austria's money around, aren't you?  :)

"The company loves its money.

If they could, they'd go to strip clubs and throw naked women at money."

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

To be fair. JM has produced the exact same results as Petke basically. Maybe it's not the coach eh?

Petke got fired after two seasons.  Jesse was supposed to get us to the next level.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

The problem with this league is how (and when) is that done?

The transfer window in the top leagues is closed, and by the time it's open again, MLS window will be closed, so the next real opportunity for that is July. (except for 'world class' players out of contract at the moment, which is hardly a bumper crop.)

Do you expect an organization that's recently gone in such a parsimonious direction to drop outright a highly paid (for MLS) player, whose contract has to be paid regardless, before the season even starts? 

I don't know what this latest injury is supposed to be, I guess there's a chance he won't see the field much before July and they could cut him then, but I won't hold my breath. 

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

I think we are built very much like a European team...lots of depth, tremendous focus on building the academy and the system, Red Bull's Europe-centric mindset...we are perennially at the 'top of the table,' winning regular season Eastern Conference championships and Shields.  We are built to be successful over a long campaign of matches, and come out on top.  Just about everywhere else that makes you champion. I'm sure Red Bull GmBH looks at those Supporters' Shields as more important than MLS Cup (and US Open Cup, and CCL, which just isn't too big yet). Unfortunately, that's not how MLS and the American sporting landscape views things.  21 years and just two cup final match appearances (one US Open, one MLS)...we need to get this monkey off our back and win one meaningful trophy via a tournament!

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

If we make the playoffs and once again fail to generate chances and lose to an inferior team, he has to be fired. That would be 4 playoff series in a row that we would lose to inferior teams. And we haven't played well in any of the 6 playoff games in his tenure. That is the problem even more than the results.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Agreed, Petke was fired for reasons other than results.

Is there any chance he gets fired at the end of this upcoming season because of this?

Last night's CCL playoff elimination loss to Vancouver marked the third consecutive year in Marsch's tenure where his team has lost to, in my opinion, an inferior team going into the series. Columbus in 2015, Montreal last year and an injury-depleted Vancouver this year.

Part of the blame lies on the players for not showing up and missing PKs and sitters. The blame also lies on Marsch though for not being tactically smart enough to figure out how to win playoff games when teams bunker down, which has happened in all three rounds in which the club got eliminated.

With what seems like the inevitable choke coming up again at the end of this season, will the FO sack him? I think anything less than an MLS Cup appearance and you have to. He's had this group for years now and is familiar with their strengths and weaknesses, and should be able to improve things that need improvement. Yet he hasn't. Again. And the cost is another competition blown with this core which is only going to get older.

It's similar to Arsene Wenger's situation but over a smaller period of time. If you are consistently successful in the regular season that is great, but if you keep losing where it counts people are going to want you fired.

I don't think Vancouver is inferior.  I think their roster is way better than ours as constructed.  And that is a huge problem.

#RedBullOut

nlk10010

nlk10010

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

-snip-

I'm sure Red Bull GmBH looks at those Supporters' Shields as more important than MLS Cup (and US Open Cup, and CCL, which just isn't too big yet). 

-snip-

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you there. I don't think Austria is dumb enough to equate SS in MLS with SS in the rest of the world. They know in American sports it's the playoffs that matter. Now Dieter may not be aware of the NHL's  "President's Trophy" (is it still called that?), but that's what the SS is most comparable to.

"The company loves its money.

If they could, they'd go to strip clubs and throw naked women at money."

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you there. I don't think Austria is dumb enough to equate SS in MLS with SS in the rest of the world. They know in American sports it's the playoffs that matter. Now Dieter may not be aware of the NHL's  "President's Trophy" (is it still called that?), but that's what the SS is most comparable to.

Yeah. Pretty sure it's a case of being happy to keep costs down and perform decently well as opposed to building the team with the aim of winning Supporter Shields, not MLS Cups.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users