70 replies to this topic

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Im not a fan of Sean, but he is better than his brother. Also, it isnt realistic to expect him benched because he is essentially the vice captain behind Long.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Sean Nealis has played every single minute in every single competition before his red card. He is elite in the air. Yes, he is not perfect, but who is... one mistake vs NYCFC is not the end of the world.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Yes, Reyes is a starter and a much better player than nealis. The issue with reyes is that he makes dumb mistakes by making a reckless fouls due to frustration or he tries to get too cute with the ball. If he fixes those issues, I dont see how he does not become the top defender in MLS.

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

I mean whatever. I don't see a single planet on which Sean Nealis is a top-five consideration for where we need to get better. Edwards should be pushed out wide and Dylan Nealis benched. Get LB cover for Tolkin. Sign a difference making #9 (no I don't mean big name, but someone who has upside AKA not a Fabio.) If we do that we're good to go. 

All our talk on here is really "I mean, whatever". There has been a lot of chatter recently on here that people want a better RWB option brought in. Therefore, I am just gauging opinions on what people think that means for the rest of the backline. To me, Reyes' weakness vs. Sean in the air is more than made up by his on the ball ability and his speed. 

I agree that if a better RWB option isn't brought in, Edwards needs to get the shot out right and you roll with Reyes/Nealis/Long as the CB trio - which is still a damn good one. Like I said, embarrassment of riches..

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

All our talk on here is really "I mean, whatever". There has been a lot of chatter recently on here that people want a better RWB option brought in. Therefore, I am just gauging opinions on what people think that means for the rest of the backline. To me, Reyes' weakness vs. Sean in the air is more than made up by his on the ball ability and his speed. 

I agree that if a better RWB option isn't brought in, Edwards needs to get the shot out right and you roll with Reyes/Nealis/Long as the CB trio - which is still a damn good one. Like I said, embarrassment of riches..

I mean sure that's fair. One thing to probably consider is that our only RBs under contract beyond this season is Dylan Nealis and I guess Cameron Harper. Neither are anyone's idea of a starting MLS defender, though maybe Harper gets there one day. I imagine bringing in a RWB would not just be about tinkering for the next few months but also a long-term vision. Who know what happens with Long and I'm sure there will be at least some pressure from calling European clubs to sell Tolkin. Going in with an unfamiliar backline could pose problems in 2023, as we saw last season.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Yes, Reyes is a starter and a much better player than nealis.The issue with reyes is that he makes dumb mistakes by making a reckless fouls due to frustration or he tries to get too cute with the ball. If he fixes those issues, I dont see how he does not become the top defender in MLS.

Reyes cleaned up a lot of that by the end of last season.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

You definitely want to see Reyes clean that stuff up, but Aurelien Collin was notorious for similar stuff and is a borderline MLS HOFer. Sometimes the bad is a cost of business for a lot more good. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Reyes was the best defender on this team by the end of last season..comfortably.  if he gets back to that form he should start and that has nothing to do with thinking Nealis or anyone else is bad

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Reyes cleaned up a lot of that by the end of last season.

I am not a fan of nealis but he has earned his place in the starting 11. It is up to reyes to show that he is better in practice and on game day. I think he will show his quality and beat out nealis but he has to earn it. Next year I want to see quality performances and be injury free.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I am not a fan of nealis but he has earned his place in the starting 11. It is up to reyes to show that he is better in practice and on game day. I think he will show his quality and beat out nealis but he has to earn it. Next year I want to see quality performances and be injury free.

With the heat and Open Cup we're probably going to see a lot of rotation anyway. A good amount of time for everyone to jockey for position until the playoffs, where Struber ultimately will have to pick one over another.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

imo Reyes will get back up to speed. will prob play in both upcoming games at Austin and in Orlando. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

As far as Reyes, so far he was a healthy DNP in the last game after playing a game before. Yes, he was injured, but that's not how you work in your starter back.

For what it's worth, this is exactly how Struber has eased guys back from injury this year. A few short appearances, maybe with RB2 if convenient, before getting a full 90. I wouldn't read much into not playing Reyes Sunday after he played 65 min with RB2 Friday.

I'd love to see Reyes start but I'm a fanboy. It will be a really close competition between him, Nealis, and Edwards for the spots next to Long.

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
With Reyes at full strength, we could have a really good three man setup, alongside Long an Sean. That would make Edwards the odd man out. Reyes and Long have the skill to mark 1-1 in Struber system and Sean is one of the top CB when it comes to aerial wins.

Reyes is a much more dangerous option on corners, something Nealis is def weaker

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

With Reyes at full strength....

Reyes is a much more dangerous option on corners, something Nealis is def weaker

This really is the biggest issue with Reyes. It's been two years, and he barely played due to injuries. If we didn't have Nealis, we would be in trouble. Sean is not this great all MLS player, but he is a solid durable starter we needed and still do, particularly with Long set to become FA. You can't rely on Reyes, given injury history, even given higher potential, I am afraid. I was very happy Sean got paid last year - even though he is not perfect. Prior to new contract the guy was starting in MLS, playing 90 mins on TV every week, getting paid about the same as people get not to work now days.

We will need Sean this and next year for sure. Reyes, on the other hand, even with apparently higher ceiling, needs to prove his durability before he can be counted on consistently in any role, particularly starting one.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

This really is the biggest issue with Reyes. It's been two years, and he barely played due to injuries. If we didn't have Nealis, we would be in trouble. Sean is not this great all MLS player, but he is a solid durable starter we needed and still do, particularly with Long set to become FA. You can't rely on Reyes, given injury history, even given higher potential, I am afraid. I was very happy Sean got paid last year - even though he is not perfect. Prior to new contract the guy was starting in MLS, playing 90 mins on TV every week, getting paid about the same as people get not to work now days.

We will need Sean this and next year for sure. Reyes, on the other hand, even with apparently higher ceiling, needs to prove his durability before he can be counted on consistently in any role, particularly starting one.

huh?

for next year

Reyes we can and should count on Reyes and we will likely bring in another player to train up for that 3rd CB position- be that a NYRB2 guy or outside guy like Monzon. 

We can keep D Nealis as 4th CB option. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users