#16 The Herr

The Herr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:05 AM

im really shoked how pause has grown over the years, even though he doesnt do anything sensational he is always solid.

all my friends think he is hot too lol, (friends that are girls, i know you retards are gonna start saying i have gay friends)

And by friends that are girls, this is what UFF is talking about... http://www.arg.com/?...CFSOCGgodvFjo-g :lol: :lol: :lol:

#17 UkrainianFireFan

UkrainianFireFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • Interests:FIRE
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:04 AM

wow and im the immature one

#18 giaco

giaco

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire, Tottenham Hotspur F.C., Guiness, and a lot of other things.

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:13 AM

Inside the armband, it reads. "CJ Brown".

If not CJ, then = Logan.

#19 creativedestruction

creativedestruction

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:00 AM

No respect for Diego?

#20 jjayg

jjayg

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:11 AM

My personal opinion is that CJ is the best choice. But the thing that gets me is that our opinions don't matter even a little. We are not exposed to daily life around the Fire clubhouse. We don't attend practices to see what is going on. Who the hell knows who the best candidate is. I balked hard on the Logan Pause idea because he just doesn't seem like a 'leader' to me. But what the hell do I really know about who Logan Pause is? I don't know a damn thing about it.
This is a decision that needs to be an educated one. It has to be made by people who actually know what's going on behind the scenes. Perhaps the obvious answers are the right ones, perhaps there are facts about some of the players that would shock us. (Imagine if Justin Mapp is actually a natural born leader, or even can talk!)

It's fun to opine and it's a good discussion but our reasoning is so outside the actual scope of what really matters it's almost silly.

That said:
CJ
Blanco (Leading by example and experiment and being a strong personality are big pluses in my book)
Diego
Pause

in that order.

#21 goldstone97

goldstone97

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Albion, Red Stars

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:20 AM

It's fun to opine and it's a good discussion but our reasoning is so outside the actual scope of what really matters it's almost silly.

I see your point, but the most important things a captain does are on the field, aren't they? We know CJ will provide veteran leadership in the clubhouse off the field whether or not he's captain, right?

We can say, I think, with 99.9% certainty that CJ would be a better captain than Mapp based on what we've seen of them on the field. There are things we don't know off it that matter to some degree, but I do think we can have a pretty good opinion based on observing the players during games.
Section 8 Chicago Chair

WB05 :: Pitch Invasion

#22 greene

greene

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:37 AM

Conde or Franks

Well my 2 choices narrows it down to........Pause

#23 jjayg

jjayg

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:51 AM

I see your point, but the most important things a captain does are on the field, aren't they? We know CJ will provide veteran leadership in the clubhouse off the field whether or not he's captain, right?

We can say, I think, with 99.9% certainty that CJ would be a better captain than Mapp based on what we've seen of them on the field. There are things we don't know off it that matter to some degree, but I do think we can have a pretty good opinion based on observing the players during games.

I wasn't seriously suggesting Mapp of CJ based on what WE know. It's just an example of what could be possible for all we know. Seriously, I've always thought of Pause as way to quiet and unassuming to be a captain based on every word ever heard him speak and every action i've ever seen on the pitch. Yes he works hard but he doesn't show that personality to me. But then I talked to CJ recently and without being able to recall what he said, I can honestly say I'm probably wrong about Pause based on my observations. And that opens the possibility that we could be wrong about a lot of people. Maybe Chris Rolfe would make a great captain? We just can't know. And I disagree that the most important things are what we see on the field. The field happens over 90 minutes, practice and training etc happen every day over many hours. I think this is the time when a good captain shines, when he is able to motivate and improve those around him by his presance. And those are areas which none of us can really speak to with any real authority.

#24 goldstone97

goldstone97

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Albion, Red Stars

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:07 PM

I wasn't seriously suggesting Mapp of CJ based on what WE know. It's just an example of what could be possible for all we know. Seriously, I've always thought of Pause as way to quiet and unassuming to be a captain based on every word ever heard him speak and every action i've ever seen on the pitch. Yes he works hard but he doesn't show that personality to me. But then I talked to CJ recently and without being able to recall what he said, I can honestly say I'm probably wrong about Pause based on my observations. And that opens the possibility that we could be wrong about a lot of people. Maybe Chris Rolfe would make a great captain? We just can't know. And I disagree that the most important things are what we see on the field. The field happens over 90 minutes, practice and training etc happen every day over many hours. I think this is the time when a good captain shines, when he is able to motivate and improve those around him by his presance. And those are areas which none of us can really speak to with any real authority.

I agree we can't know for sure, but I think we can get a sense of who makes a good captain from what we see on the field. Maybe not.

I think that's an interesting question about what a good captain's main role is. I've always thought the ninety minutes on the field are the key, being able to deal with the referee, intimidate opponents, direct your own team. It's then that they can tip a game one way or another. I think veteran leaders off the field like CJ have a positive clubhouse influence whether or not they're captain. But perhaps that is underestimating the importance of officially being captain in the clubhouse.
Section 8 Chicago Chair

WB05 :: Pitch Invasion

#25 M~Z

M~Z

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, Arsenal, and Legia

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:52 PM

CJ or Diego

#26 jjayg

jjayg

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:58 PM

I agree we can't know for sure, but I think we can get a sense of who makes a good captain from what we see on the field. Maybe not.

I think that's an interesting question about what a good captain's main role is. I've always thought the ninety minutes on the field are the key, being able to deal with the referee, intimidate opponents, direct your own team. It's then that they can tip a game one way or another. I think veteran leaders off the field like CJ have a positive clubhouse influence whether or not they're captain. But perhaps that is underestimating the importance of officially being captain in the clubhouse.

Certainly all of the on-field things you list are very, very important roles of a good captain. But my personal opinion is that they are not any more, and maybe even less, important then what happens off the field. As I said more time is spent outside of a match then in it and if you have a captain that can create a positive influence in many different ways off the field then it's a logical assumption that you are getting MORE from your captain based on the amount of time that positive influence is being imposed upon the squad. Not to discount the in match effect that a captain has at all, only to say that outside of the match is also huge.
I use two main observations as my basis for drawing this conclusion. The first is as a coach. I've been coaching youth teams for about 11 years now. All of the travel teams that I've coached I've allowed the team to pick their own captains by voting. I can say with great confidence that the best captains, the ones that had the most positive influence on the team, were the captains that took their leadership role in practice, warm ups, while traveling etc very seriously. They created an environment where the other players were held accountable by their peers and not just their coach and this created a team that worked harder, smarter, better. I could go deeper in explaining this but really the point is that a team with a good off the field leader is going to be leaps and bounds better then the team that doesn't have a good off the field leader, no matter how strong the onfield leadership is, from my experience.

The other observation is as a Chelsea fan (cue loud groans). I am just constantly reading about the mostly positive and sometimes negative effect that John Terry has on the team as a whole. More often then not it is the spirt and motivation that he provides off the field that has made him such an admirable Captain. I'm sure there are many similiar examples throughout the world but that one is just mine.

#27 kamil

kamil

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

we should trade CJ and Blanco to New England for Franks, and make Franks captain.

#28 greene

greene

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:06 PM

we should trade CJ and Blanco to New England for Franks, and make Franks captain.

It's sense like this that makes Kamil one of the greatest people in the history of the world!

#29 Armani

Armani

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts
  • Interests:long walks on the beach and sitting under the stars o ya and chasing cbus fans out of parking lots.
  • Supports:Chicago fire

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:18 PM

It's sense like this that makes Kamil one of the greatest people in the history of the world!

I thought you too hated each other?

DEIGO ooo
DEIGO ooo
él de columbia
él es un líder

#30 rednow.red4ever

rednow.red4ever

First Team

• PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Reds of the Windy City

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:58 AM

Is Diego Gutierrez still playing for this club? Cuz I believe he just got wronged.....i don't want a captain who gets pulled because he forgets how to play soccer occasionally.....(of course there is also the situation of being able to play regularly....spose that can become an issue?)
Our friends will never walk alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users