#33 Steve the Arsonist

Steve the Arsonist

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Shef. Utd., Hbrg City Islndrs

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:42 PM

all my friends think he is hot too lol, (friends that are girls, i know you retards are gonna start saying i have gay friends)

No. No one here thinks you would, knowingly, have friends who are gay. What would people say? I mean, eeewww, 'those people' are just so, so... Don't worry, nobody thinks you would be friends with any of them.

#34 M~Z

M~Z

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, Arsenal, and Legia

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:01 PM

So what are everyones opinions with Blanco as captain the first game?

I think Gutierez def. should have worn the armband this game, especially since Blanco has made it clear he wants to go back to America once his contract ends.

Once CJ Brown is healthy again its between him and Diego.

#35 kebzach

kebzach

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

I think Gutierez def. should have worn the armband this game, especially since Blanco has made it clear he wants to go back to America once his contract ends.

I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to not have Blanco be the captain while he's here. According to that logic, Armas shouldn't have been the captain last year then because he was going to retire after the season.

#36 Murtaugh

Murtaugh

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,856 posts
  • Supports:Chicago

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

I really hope it doesn't stay with Blanco - and no offense to him. He is worthy of the honor.

CJ's earned it. Logan's earned it. Even when Hristo played for us he didn't automatically become captain, though he may have been in any other club in the world - because it was Nowak's. It's CJ's turn.

#37 jokerman326

jokerman326

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:50 PM

especially since Blanco has made it clear he wants to go back to America once his contract ends.

Please do me a favor, and post where he has said this in the "Blanco Mdia Thread," because other than a post on the BS boards, this is the second time I have heard this.

Blanco should not be a captain simply for one reason: he does not seem to have the command of the language the majority of or players and the game's officials speak. I would have let Logan take it yesterday.

#38 M~Z

M~Z

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, Arsenal, and Legia

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

Please do me a favor, and post where he has said this in the "Blanco Mdia Thread," because other than a post on the BS boards, this is the second time I have heard this.

Blanco should not be a captain simply for one reason: he does not seem to have the command of the language the majority of or players and the game's officials speak. I would have let Logan take it yesterday.

I remember somebody saying something about this on here. Sorry if its not true.

Even if its a false rumor, i still dont think he deserves to wear the captains armband. He has only been with the team for half a season. Yeah he has made a huge impact on the team but theres players (Diego and CJ) who have been on the team for many years who also have contributed to the Fire.

#39 Section 8 El Guapo

Section 8 El Guapo

Player/Manager

• S8 Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire...Beer....Women....Beer....Section 8....Beer....Women.....New England Sucks......Beer....Duck Fallas....Beer.....
  • Supports:Your mom at Polkatz

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:23 PM

Blanco was wearing the band since CJ was not playing.

C.J. Brown is our captain.
WB05

UNA VIDA...UNA MUERTE...UN CLUB

#40 kebzach

kebzach

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:26 PM

Blanco was wearing the band since CJ was not playing.

C.J. Brown is our captain.

and the question is thus...why is blanco the vice-captain and not Logan (or Diego)?

#41 el chingon

el chingon

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Supports:America

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:19 PM

I remember somebody saying something about this on here. Sorry if its not true.

Even if its a false rumor, i still dont think he deserves to wear the captains armband. He has only been with the team for half a season. Yeah he has made a huge impact on the team but theres players (Diego and CJ) who have been on the team for many years who also have contributed to the Fire.

He did say it, i read it a while ago in a article and also just recently they had an interview of him on ESPNDeportes like 2-3 weeks ago when he was talking about corruption in mexican soccer. They person that interviewed him asked him if he would consider going back to America and he said yes, that at the end of his career he would want to retire with America.

#42 lxfwentzer

lxfwentzer

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Supports:FIRE TILL I DIE

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:40 PM

and the question is thus...why is blanco the vice-captain and not Logan (or Diego)?

Prolly just cuz he's a big name veteran just like that other guy who's last name starts with B

#43 radmonkey

radmonkey

First Team

• PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:44 PM

I dunno, maybe it was in his rider. :P

I don't think he will be captain most of the time, but it was a nice touch for the opener. I didn't expect it.
I mean...he has played in a couple of world cups, la liga and Copa Libertadores. I think he has the credentials and although he doesn't speak the same language as most of his teammates. He led by example, hopefully he also sat down and told Conde what's what before he relinquished the armband..
"Dave Checketts and SCP Worldwide partners Dean Howes, Kenneth Munoz, Michael McCarthy and Chris Bevilacqua, chose Real Salt Lake for the team's name because they desired to associate the team with a successful soccer club, and "Fire" was already taken."

#44 jokerman326

jokerman326

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,112 posts
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:39 AM

I think the reason they chose Blanco was simply PR, like when Justin was the Captain in Mississippi. The real Captain, as everyone knows, is either CJ or maybe Guti, and Logan after one or the other. Blanco's being given the armband was symbolic, and was meant as a marketing tool towards the Meican market. How I think the pre-determined depth chart goes:
1) Brown
2) Guti
3) Pause

He did say it, i read it a while ago in a article and also just recently they had an interview of him on ESPNDeportes like 2-3 weeks ago when he was talking about corruption in mexican soccer. They person that interviewed him asked him if he would consider going back to America and he said yes, that at the end of his career he would want to retire with America.

I'd love to see a quote in an English-language newspaper. That would be cool, I guess, to be a player/captain/manager or something for one final season to pass the torch. Or... he plays a memorial match in some final game, and then a testimonial match against the Fire. First half with us, Second half against us.

Or... Testimonial matches here and away. First one played here for us, and the away leg (Azteca) he plays with them.
Either way, he retires as an Aguila, which is the way it should be.But only if for one year or less.LOL

#45 abenco

abenco

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, Rangers, Tottenham

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:59 AM

Doesn't a captain get a little more leeway when yelling at the referees? Since Blanco will definitely let them know what he thinks about their 2nd rate officiating, he needs as much leeway as he can get.

In the NBA the players vote for the team captain/captains. On my high school soccer team we also voted for the captain. Is this not how they do it in MLS?

And knowing English isn't a problem with Blanco, as Barrett can tell you, he understood everything Blanco said to him last year.
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
-- Denis Diderot --

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users