597 replies to this topic

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

So the draw controls all. Theoretically, we can in the 6-team group and play Orlando, Nashville, and Miami. Or in a 4-team group and play Atlanta, the Scum, and Hartford.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

I don't follow the NBA but their setup looks better than this, they are also trying to finish this season and aren't kicking it off with a dumb tournament.

There's no reason to do this tournament, just play the damn regular season games down there.

excited

CCL berth + $1M to winning team.

should be fun - I need some round robin summer soccer!!

Bring on the AM meetings ;-)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

I just updated the MF player rating system to take 5 substitutes if needed. :)

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls

I'm a fan of this but what happens afterwards?  Season over on Aug 11? 

Do we pick it up and march towards MLS cup?

This would actually be a cool annual preseason tournement...

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

No, I would just play some regular season games down there to kick off the season cause they want to see how things go and then go back to playing games in home stadiums in what will probably be no fans for awhile.

I just don't see any point in playing this tournament and pushing the MLS cup playoffs back even further. Playing all regular season games down there instead of just 3 that will count towards the regular season would have at least made more sense.

They could have had each team play 7 regular season games down there before going back to their home stadiums instead of this nonsense and that would have made it only 25 games to go in the regular season once they went back home.

Maybe they arent certain that there will BE a regular season. So cash prize plus a place for a tournament next season.

What other ways do you get a CCL birth? Ive lost track.

If they cant play a regular season maybe they just do a series of these tournaments with the same prize on the line.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Maybe they arent certain that there will BE a regular season. So cash prize plus a place for a tournament next season.

If they cant play a regular season maybe they just do a series of these tournaments with the same prize on the line.

There's 4 spots...

MLS cup winner
MLS shield winner
MLS conference winner that didn't win the shield
US open cup winner

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

I'm a fan of this but what happens afterwards?  Season over on Aug 11? 

Do we pick it up and march towards MLS cup?

This would actually be a cool annual preseason tournement...

likely they plan to resume (virus dependant) without fans in the stands and extend the season until later in the year - likely lots of scenarios in play

maybe even have playoffs as a tourney in Dec in the same place if need be- complete personal speculation

and there is this handy explainer

https://www.mlssocce...ament-structure

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

BillFromAstoria

BillFromAstoria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Liverpool, US, SUNY Purchase

Dan, do I dare ask how you're going to categorize these matches? Are the group stage games regular season games, or are they Cup games? Oh lord…

METRO T-SHIRTS!

1996NY.com

Even the losers get lucky sometimes.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Dan, do I dare ask how you're going to categorize these matches? Are the group stage games regular season games, or are they Cup games? Oh lord…

I've been thinking about this one ever since the tournament became a possibility. Group stage games are regular season because they count in the regular season standings. If we make the "postseason", I think I'll make those as Playoff games, sort of like Merconore and CCL are mushed into International (and Leagues Cup would have been). I don't want to create a new game type for a one-off tournament.

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

I've been thinking about this one ever since the tournament became a possibility. Group stage games are regular season because they count in the regular season standings. If we make the "postseason", I think I'll make those as Playoff games, sort of like Merconore and CCL are mushed into International (and Leagues Cup would have been). I don't want to create a new game type for a one-off tournament.

I was just thinking about this. I personally wouldn't mush them in with playoffs because it makes it more difficult for those of us who rely on the site for historical statistics to keep track of all-time playoff states (esp with playoffs also happening this year). Combining Merconorte with CCL works because they never existed concurrently. Perhaps just put a "Tournament" line in the players's stat boxes for this year instead of the U.S. open cup? IDK it's a headache. But it's your site, do whatever you want and we will be grateful for it  :)

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Don't worry, we'll probably get bounced in the regular season group stage anyway, problem solved lol

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Don't worry, we'll probably get bounced in the regular season group stage anyway, problem solved lol

In typical Metro fashion...since it's happened 3x already. They'll get to the final getting our hopes up with ppl beating their chests on social media, only to get shutout in the final. 

i doubt the play on the field will be good. sorta like watching an MLS match fro the mid 2000s. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

I was just thinking about this. I personally wouldn't mush them in with playoffs because it makes it more difficult for those of us who rely on the site for historical statistics to keep track of all-time playoff states (esp with playoffs also happening this year). Combining Merconorte with CCL works because they never existed concurrently. Perhaps just put a "Tournament" line in the players's stat boxes for this year instead of the U.S. open cup? IDK it's a headache. But it's your site, do whatever you want and we will be grateful for it  :)

Here's another solution: I'll rename "International" back to its original name... "Tournament". That covers everything which is not league, OC, or playoffs... and there no concurrency issues this year.

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

It says "Regular season continues after tournament" on mlssoccer site.  https://www.mlssocce...back-tournament

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

It says "Regular season continues after tournament" on mlssoccer site.  https://www.mlssocce...back-tournament

If all goes well of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users