38 replies to this topic

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

Who are the wingers in the 4-2-3-1? Royer and ????

Gulbrandsen. 

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Supports:Metro

So do people think that BWP chasing down balls in the corner and Sacha playing out wide will suddenly bring us playoff success or something?  Sacha's playing poorly regardless of position, but moving him because it doesn't fit what the literal Jesus team RB Leipzig plays is just stupid.

Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

So do people think that BWP chasing down balls in the corner and Sacha playing out wide will suddenly bring us playoff success or something?  Sacha's playing poorly regardless of position, but moving him because it doesn't fit what the literal Jesus team RB Leipzig plays is just stupid.

We probably don't have players ypung enough for the 4-2-2-2 right now.

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa
*beats 4-3-3 drum. Best formation for the roster if the intent is to evolve 4231, and not just total corporate conformity.

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts

the whole point is that in the 4-2-3-1, BWP and Sacha get isolated too easily, and in a 4-2-2-2 they would be able to combine more effectively with partners. I think people are focusing too much on the formation, because we really are not hitting full cylinders. Passing is off. Lots of loose touches. Even our best game where the 4-2-2-2 strangled Colorado, we were very loose in the final third. Is that a formation issue or just players finding their form? I think it is the latter. But lets see. 

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

In regards to formation, I think the only person who doesn't fit it well is Sacha because he can't handle being in space anymore.  And it's not like he's way out there on the wing, but he's definitely in an area where his lack of mobility shows even more.  That said, he's off right now and that will change.  He'll start making better passes again.

They also need to create some chemistry with Gulbrandsen.  That dude can play, just need to get to the point where everyone knows where everyone is going.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

its early and a good time to experiment with formations, rotations and roles. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull
I am not sold yet on formation, but I think Gulbrandsen will be handful for opposing teams.  His workrate is phenomenal.  All that running should create some space for BWP, you would think.

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa
*facepalm / franchisepalm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users