Padre Joe

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, Newcastle United

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:28 AM

How did you get a hold of this Joe?

I work part time at a small soccer store for some extra money - the catalog just came out. What is interesting is that Adidas usually doesn't show the new shirts in their catalogs until after they are officially released - there is normally a picture of a white shirt until the announcement. I'm assuming that there is not as much of a buzz for the MLS as there are for the European teams so Adidas doesn't really care about a formal announcement.

One other interesting thing in the catalog is Adidas Chicago Fire scarf - it almost looks like something one of you would have created. The front is pretty normal - White corners that go to a white and Chicago blue checkerboard, then to a sold blue background with Chicago Fire in the middle. The shield and the Adidas logo are on the ends and the fringe in red, white and blue. What is interesting is the back. It is opposite color - blue to checkerboard to white, with the four Chicago stars in blue in the middle. Between the stars are the years 1939, 1871, 1893 and 1933 (I know the stars stand for historic event - the fire, Worlds Fair, Columbian Exposition and something else, right?). Traditionaly, Adidas scarfs are pretty generic - team colors and name (that is how it is for the majority of MLS scarfs in the catalog) but I find it interesting that they pulled some symbols that are near to the supporters but that the league has never really embraced.

I like the fact that the blue is back in the uniforms and that the shield is also on the back collar. I sorta like the away shirt, although I am holding off on a decision until I see it in person. The home shirt reminds me of Middlesborough - with the small and tapered white stripe.

#17 firefan1998

firefan1998

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:11 PM

i don't like these designs at all.
if you still have access to the catalog, i'm curious to know what the rest of the league looks like.

#18 jl_murtaugh

jl_murtaugh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:52 PM

I saw these a little before I left. Agree they're probably a step down from current ones and above the 06/07 atrocities. It's nice the balance between the manufacturer logo and the badge is restored on the front. The badge on the rear collar is new, but I have liked the script "FIRE" to this point there, we'll see how this works in execution.

The 2000 away shirt had black trim, not navy. It's a switch from the traditional stripe on the away, not sure I like it. More frustrating because the current away getup as worn in houston is very good looking and unique in the league :: white shirt with red chest stripe, red shorts, white socks. This looks to be a plain white shirt, full stop.

Anyhow, I'd also be surprised if the stripe is as small as it looks in the drawing. Typically the finished products look a bit different than the renderings in terms of sizes, and you have to factor in they draw the shirts not as they're worn tucked into shorts but laid flat.

As for the scarf, people have been cribbing ideas from fans for years. Nike did it, Puma did it, adidas has gotten wise. You could hope they'd ask opinions or for advice, but designers and administrators for big sportswear companies generally are too obstinate and stuck up to actually seek input from those outside.

Still upset we were forced to ditch Puma.

#19 Mr E

Mr E

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Supports:Fire,Red Stars,Nottingham Forest

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:07 PM

All I can think of when I look at those pics is health class, discussing the female reproductive system.
Eric H

#20 BenBurton

BenBurton

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:08 AM

I saw these a little before I left. Agree they're probably a step down from current ones and above the 06/07 atrocities. It's nice the balance between the manufacturer logo and the badge is restored on the front. The badge on the rear collar is new, but I have liked the script "FIRE" to this point there, we'll see how this works in execution.

The 2000 away shirt had black trim, not navy. It's a switch from the traditional stripe on the away, not sure I like it. More frustrating because the current away getup as worn in houston is very good looking and unique in the league :: white shirt with red chest stripe, red shorts, white socks. This looks to be a plain white shirt, full stop.

Anyhow, I'd also be surprised if the stripe is as small as it looks in the drawing. Typically the finished products look a bit different than the renderings in terms of sizes, and you have to factor in they draw the shirts not as they're worn tucked into shorts but laid flat.

As for the scarf, people have been cribbing ideas from fans for years. Nike did it, Puma did it, adidas has gotten wise. You could hope they'd ask opinions or for advice, but designers and administrators for big sportswear companies generally are too obstinate and stuck up to actually seek input from those outside.

Still upset we were forced to ditch Puma.

I have it on good authority that these designs are old and have already been replaced. I wouldn't worry too much about the specifics. I would guess that the away kit will be very different.

#21 jl_murtaugh

jl_murtaugh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:31 AM

I have it on good authority that these designs are old and have already been replaced. I wouldn't worry too much about the specifics. I would guess that the away kit will be very different.

Fair enough. Better than Guppy-era insistence that the Fire had no control over the whims of adidas.

#22 JanderVK

JanderVK

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Supports:CF, CRS, US, DFB, Gladbach, 1.FFCF

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:23 AM

Kinda like the Germany jersey, but the Fire stripes are solid (or just the way the image looks).

Posted Image

We are Section 8! We are Section 8! In the eyes of Fire!

#23 Chow

Chow

Player/Manager

• S8 Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts
  • Supports:Huddalis Aviation, B&CA

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:29 AM

Kinda like the Germany jersey, but the Fire stripes are solid (or just the way the image looks).

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 JanderVK

JanderVK

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:35 AM

Posted Image

Or the 2006 Fire jersey :) I was hoping for it to be like the Germany jersey though, I hate the solid lines.

#25 WolfmanHasNards!

WolfmanHasNards!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:57 AM

Not a fan. Oh well. I'm content with what I currently own.

#26 m311ton

m311ton

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

I'm going to go against the group-think here and admit that I like these jerseys.

#27 FIRExNECK

FIRExNECK

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, West Ham

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:56 PM

Chicago Blue with four six pointed stars?

HA! I won't hold my breath.

.::ANTIFA CHICAGO::.
.::ULTRAS :: RED :: SIDE::.
.::They call me Jesse White in Canada::.

#28 JanderVK

JanderVK

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:20 AM

Chicago Blue with four six pointed stars?

HA! I won't hold my breath.

Yeah, I uh think there is already another team currently using that anyway :b Though, I don't see why they both couldn't have them.

#29 mactheknife

mactheknife

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Supports:fire, charlton, PSG, rangers

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:46 PM

every person on the internet hates every new kit ever
this guy...this fuckin guy

#30 Eiki

Eiki