#31 chengb02

chengb02

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Supports:Fire/Arsenal/GuoAn

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:40 PM

It gives you a nice list and set of pictures of the venues. The olympic stadium is real nice. My only gripe is... UMinn stadium for soccer pre-lims...WTF

Its a way to make things more regional, something that is always highly encouraged. Plus, its large seating capacity is probably preferred to a smaller venue like TP, though nobody really goes (or cares) about Olympic soccer...

#32 Murtaugh

Murtaugh

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,856 posts
  • Supports:Chicago

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:02 PM

Like I said previously, 9 years is awhile to have a plan fleshed out. If the Olympics come here it is hard to imagine it won't include games at our place, no matter the capacity. They need more than 2 or 3 venues.

It's been mentioned a few times before but Daley and the Chicago delegation did tour the place a couple times and were impressed.

#33 greene

greene

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:13 PM

I'm sure that TP will get some soccer games during the olympics, but UMinn still confuses me. I mean, there's Camp Randall which was recently renovated. Yes it has field turf, but so does Huskie Stadium. Oh well, this is many years off and tentative. We'll all see how it plays out.

#34 Murtaugh

Murtaugh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,856 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:17 AM

AEG loves Chicago. Not.

http://www.chicagotr...ll=chi-news-hed

#35 Krasny

Krasny

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 10:55 AM

Yeah I saw this article too!!! pisses me off!

#36 Sixkick

Sixkick

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:50 PM

AEG is shit.

#37 chengb02

chengb02

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Supports:Fire/Arsenal/GuoAn

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:03 AM

don't understand why it would anger anybody...The article states that AEG would do what it could to support the US' bid, even if Chicago wins out over LA. Obviously being based in LA with a number of facilities in the city, that is their preference.

What frustrates me more than anything about that article is this:

Thirty of the 36 venues in the L.A. plan already exist, giving it an advantage over Chicago, which has to build an Olympic stadium and Olympic Village.

"It's easy to envision how [L.A.] will perform for an Olympic Games," Ctvrtlik said. "Is that something that will push them over the top? We'll just have to see. With Chicago, there potentially could be more risk."

Potentially could be a risk? Come on, they took a "risk" on Atlanta, SLC, and backing New York for 2012, it shouldn't matter at all. Beyond that, the games are in 2016, that gives Chicago more than enough time to build the necessary venues. Plus, I think the IOC tends to care about what awarding a candidate city the games will do for it and looks seriously at venues. Chicago is proposing a beautiful new stadium and some very innovative/interesting venues (Northerly Islands hosting some events, an Olympic village on the lake that will be used for mixed income housing afterwords). LA's reply is a lot of venues that have already been used for the Olympics, including the Coliseum, which has already hosted 2.

#38 FireFanInPackerLand

FireFanInPackerLand

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts
  • Supports:MU rah rah, Fire, Celtic, USMNT

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:18 PM

Park in the parking garage in Chinatown and look East and it is VERY EASY to envision a new Olympic Village.

#39 Chicago4ever

Chicago4ever

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, beer, games, ... , ... ,
  • Supports:UIC, FIRE, RAMPAGE

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:10 PM

Well, it will be nice to see what the reaction is to Chicago tomorrow night at the Art Institute Dinner. Myself and several other people from UIC were asked to come and do something there for an hour. I have no clue, what until tomorrow. All I know is we are getting free Chicago 2016 SWAG. :cheers:
DJ

The KNIGHTS are coming!

#40 Murtaugh

Murtaugh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,856 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:41 AM

http://www.chicagotr...ll=chi-news-hed

#41 Armani

Armani

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts
  • Interests:long walks on the beach and sitting under the stars o ya and chasing cbus fans out of parking lots.
  • Supports:Chicago fire

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:17 AM

word on the street is they will announce what US city gets the bid on April 14th

If we get the Olympic and LA gets Beckham still think we won tenfold.

#42 Chicago4ever

Chicago4ever

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, beer, games, ... , ... ,
  • Supports:UIC, FIRE, RAMPAGE

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:54 AM

word on the street is they will announce what US city gets the bid on April 14th

no, thats just a FACT.

The 'REAL' word on the street is is that Chicago will get the bid because the Olympic committee will not pick LA over other countries canidates (ie-Rome, Italy or Tokyo, Japan) for the fact LA has hosted the Olympics TWICE!
DJ

The KNIGHTS are coming!

#43 mactheknife

mactheknife

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Supports:fire, charlton, PSG, rangers

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:43 PM

If we get the Olympic and LA gets Beckham still think we won tenfold.

You really went out on a limb with that one...
this guy...this fuckin guy

#44 Armani

Armani

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts
  • Interests:long walks on the beach and sitting under the stars o ya and chasing cbus fans out of parking lots.
  • Supports:Chicago fire

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:58 PM

you would be surprised, their are some people with a real crazy view of David Beckhams worth

#45 Murtaugh

Murtaugh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,856 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 03:04 PM

The 'REAL' word on the street is is that Chicago will get the bid because the Olympic committee will not pick LA over other countries canidates (ie-Rome, Italy or Tokyo, Japan) for the fact LA has hosted the Olympics TWICE!

DJ's pretty on the spot with this one.

LA, even if it is subjectively the better bid, won't win in the international round for exactly that reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users