43 replies to this topic

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Grant Wahl said during the Champions League pregame show that its pretty much a done deal that the 2022 World Cup is going to be held in the winter. What a shit show.

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT

WC going head to head with the NFL and other sports. This should kill some of the interest in the US. Too bad. The hype this past year was great. 

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros
Crazy to me that its being reported as a done deal. I have a hard time believing the Euro leagues will go on a mid season break and or let their crazy expensive players go mid season. That was always going to be the big fight and it hasnt even started yet.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

I understand this is 7 years away, but let's say hypothetically Jozy and Bradley remained in TFC and were still on the USMNT. How pissed do they get when these players miss the playoffs and possibly MLS cup? Or is it not going to be during the same window?

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

I understand this is 7 years away, but let's say hypothetically Jozy and Bradley remained in TFC and were still on the USMNT. How pissed do they get when these players miss the playoffs and possibly MLS cup? Or is it not going to be during the same window?

November/December.

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers
  • Supports:Metro

I gotta think that MLS wont be that stupid and have MLS Cup at the same time. Theyll probably try and start the league a month or 2 earlier. We have enough southern teams that we can start the first two weeks in warmer stadiums.

Houston, Dallas, Orlando, Atlanta, LAFC, Galaxy, San Jose, Portland, Seattle are all playable in the winter months. You might be able to squeeze in SKC but with the way weather has been the past 2 years I dont know. 

Its going to be tough for sure but no way does MLS try to play the Cup during November/Dec.

I just dont understand how its going to be possible. Because youre just not talking about 1.5 months here. Usually teams start letting their player go a month before the tournament, right around June. Then players play for a month and a half. And then Im assuming theyll need some sort of recovery period after some intense tournament. Whcich means that Euro based players would miss not just Dec But potentially all of November and January. Thats a pretty long stretch to be on hiatus. Not to mention that the players who are not in the world cup are now falling out of shape from lack of actual comeptition(friendlies wont cut it).

If I was a major Euro club there no way I let this happen.... unless theres some sort of compensation involved.

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

FIFA needs a root & branch re-structuring.  Throw out the current leadership, open the books, create transparency, pull the next 2 WCs from Russia & Qatar, have a select committee choose the sites, no voting by the corrupt(able) member FAs.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

LongLiveTheBeautifulGame

LongLiveTheBeautifulGame

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Arsenal, USMNT, & the 4-2-3-1

Most depressing thing is Holland-Belgium was in the running to co-host 2018 (seriously would have just went for 2 months in that case) and the USA was talked about replacing Shit Island in 130 degree heat for 2022.

Pretty much the 2 best sites possible turned into the 2 worst.

And now China is launching a huge campaign and getting together a FIFA "wallet" for 2026 or 2030. I'll be 80 the next time it's in an enjoyable country.

Russia's actually not that bad and has some decent cities to visit. Plus you can always check out a writer's museum, haha. But Qatar followed by China might kill the sport (internationally). Crooked refs, like when SK rigged it against Italy in 2002, is the issue with Russia.

Pebble

Pebble

insightful, deep and most creative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Rangers FC, #RedBullOut

Crazy to me that its being reported as a done deal. I have a hard time believing the Euro leagues will go on a mid season break and or let their crazy expensive players go mid season. That was always going to be the big fight and it hasnt even started yet.

As if UEFA can overrule FIFA! They'll set the schedule and UEFA will adapt.

FIFA needs a root & branch re-structuring.  Throw out the current leadership, open the books, create transparency, pull the next 2 WCs from Russia & Qatar, have a select committee choose the sites, no voting by the corrupt(able) member FAs.

I need someone to cut me a check for a million dollars. I'll let you guess which one will come first... 

Most depressing thing is Holland-Belgium was in the running to co-host 2018 (seriously would have just went for 2 months in that case) and the USA was talked about replacing Shit Island in 130 degree heat for 2022.

And now China is launching a huge campaign and getting together a FIFA "wallet" for 2026 or 2030. I'll be 80 the next time it's in an enjoyable country.

Russia's actually not that bad and has some decent cities to visit. Plus you can always check out a writer's museum, haha. But Qatar followed by China might kill the sport (internationally). Crooked refs, like when SK rigged it against Italy in 2002, is the issue with Russia.

Depending upon where they host it in China, it might be a really fun time. I'd be up for a China World Cup. 

#RedBullOut

Thursday, November 27, 2008 -

After another Hatch shank over the crossbar...
"And Hatch wonders why nobody is covering him." - Tony Meola

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros
It has nothing to do with UEFA, its the ECA. And the players know where there regular checks come from.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I'd have liked Australia, but they just finished hosting (& winning) the Asian Cup, are currently hosting the Cricket World Cup, and may bid for the 2023 Rugby World Cup. 

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Pebble

Pebble

insightful, deep and most creative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Rangers FC, #RedBullOut

It has nothing to do with UEFA, its the ECA. And the players know where there regular checks come from.

They have even less authority over anything. Overall, most European leagues take a winter break. Only the EPL doesn't. The reality is that there really isn't much to gripe about in this regard. These Euro leagues will just take a break for the World Cup the same way the NHL takes a break for the Olympics and everyone will be just fine. (Well, it won't be fine since the players will still be an awful place but that has nothing to do with scheduling.)

#RedBullOut

Thursday, November 27, 2008 -

After another Hatch shank over the crossbar...
"And Hatch wonders why nobody is covering him." - Tony Meola

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

FIFA can't host 2 consecutive World Cups in the same Confederation. So China can try to buy 2026 or 2030 but those World Cups are not going to China. 2030 is the Centenial, hopefully FIFA does the right thing and takes that tournament back to where it all started, Uruguay. But it will more than likely be an Uruguay/Argentina hosted World Cup.

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers
  • Supports:Metro

FIFA can't host 2 consecutive World Cups in the same Confederation. So China can try to buy 2026 or 2030 but those World Cups are not going to China. 2030 is the Centenial, hopefully FIFA does the right thing and takes that tournament back to where it all started, Uruguay. But it will more than likely be an Uruguay/Argentina hosted World Cup.

Uruguay doesnt have the infrastructure, facilities or the population to host a modern World Cup. Nearly all of their population lives in Montevideo and just about all of their professional clubs worth a damn are based out of Montevideo. They really have only 1 city/venue that can be refurbished to host and that is the Centenario Stadium.

Argentina on the other hand has way more choices and a joint venture would look more like 10 venues in Argentina and 1 in Uruguay. Im sure Argentina wouldnt want to share it with Uruguay anyways. The smart thing for FIFA to do is to go where it all TRULY began in England.

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

It'll be fun when the best teams in MLS lose their players to WC international duty during the playoffs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users