69 replies to this topic

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  • Supports:Metro

He'd earn more $$ with an MLS homegrown contract rather than a contract as an MLS reserve, I think. I don't recall the exact dollar amt, but it's significant enough. Sowe wasn't in the Academy long enough to merit an HG contract, iirc. 

sowe also doesnt have a euro passport that allows him to leave at 16

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

Since when was Clark an HGP signing?
If we are counting players we traded the rights for, where is Redding and Koffi?

I think... Redding and Koffi were in other team's academies, so they don't count directly. Clark was never in Minnesota's academy.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

So, another player that'll see greener pastures in 3 years...

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

So, another player that'll see greener pastures in 3 years...

another player you would be mad we didnt sign when he left for Europe for free

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

another player you would be mad we didnt sign when he left for Europe for free

And he would be another player to leave for free when they transfer him to Salzburg or Leipzig. Unless we are selling them, to the highest bidder, its all pointless. Besides, RB Corporate doesnt even reinvest the transfer funds, or any funds for that matter, on Metro.

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

And he would be another player to leave for free when they transfer him to Salzburg or Leipzig. Unless we are selling them, to the highest bidder, its all pointless. Besides, RB Corporate doesnt even reinvest the transfer funds, or any funds for that matter, on Metro.

how many times do I have to tell people on this board as long as the GAM is maxed at 1 mil the rest of the fee is pointless. 10 mil to Bayern or 3 mil to Leipzig make zero difference because still only 1 mil is going to the roster. The rest mostly goes to other expenses that Red Bull is more than capable of covering with out transfer income.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

how many times do I have to tell people on this board as long as the GAM is maxed at 1 mil the rest of the fee is pointless. 10 mil to Bayern or 3 mil to Leipzig make zero difference because still only 1 mil is going to the roster. The rest mostly goes to other expenses that Red Bull is more than capable of covering with out transfer income.

Capable, sure, but willing?  Nah.  No doubt there is one zero-sum master budget, and money we spend in one bucket is money we can't spend in another.    Money transferred between our own clubs is managed for FFP considerations, but xfer fees to other clubs is real money.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Sure, but money is spongeable. If the pot for facilities requires $10MM a year and gets an extra $6MM gets chucked in there from transfer, (in theory) there is $6MM of money and a percentage of that money can be reallocated to DP salary. I'm not saying a full transfer fee will be reinvested in roster, but certainly a percentage is. 

With Young DPs, new acquisitions certainly improve roster, but also offer the potential for future transfer fees. I think the GAM at $1MM is in place for an opposite reason than you suggest - not to cap roster improvement from transfer, but to force a big chunk of transfer to be used on roster. It doesn't limit utilization of more funds from transfer.   

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

On top of this the non GAM money can only be spent on transfer fees or club infrastructure / youth development.  And frankly the only thing Red Bull has proven they will spend whatever it takes on is infrastructure and youth development.  So the fee only hurt Garber and i dont care about him

No RB club anywhere spends on high transfer fees.  Same guys sold Timo for ~60mm and purchased Sorloth for ~22 and Hwang for 11.  In MLS I'm not sure that is the best strategy, but they definitely want to try it, and are leaning into it now. 

I think U22 rule will allow them to add pieces more similar to the RBL approach of doing things so in a year or two we will know if they were right. 

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT
Is this kid the youngest player since Adu to sign a first team MLS contract?

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

This requires a lot of faith that whatever Red Bull saved with a lower transfer will be added in equal amounts to the NY budget. Because of the ownership structure and historical imbalance in investment between RB clubs, short of overt signs of spending in NY (large inbound transfers, fancy new facilities, etc...) there will always be question marks about this from fans.

With a club that operates in isolation, there's fewer places for that money to go other than straight back into the MLS team.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

i think 2 younger guys signed within the past 2 years.  

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

This kid is several years younger than Adu was when he signed.     Ochoa (San Jose) and Slonina (Fire) have him beat (but only by days)

https://www.mlssocce...ed-mls-contract

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Giants3b

Giants3b

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:laying in the dirt
  • Supports:San Francisco Giants

This kid is several years younger than Adu was when he signed.     Ochoa (San Jose) and Slonina (Fire) have him beat.

https://www.mlssocce...ed-mls-contract

Hah, oh boy!

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Sure, but money is spongeable. If the pot for facilities requires $10MM a year and gets an extra $6MM gets chucked in there from transfer, (in theory) there is $6MM of money and a percentage of that money can be reallocated to DP salary. I'm not saying a full transfer fee will be reinvested in roster, but certainly a percentage is. 

With Young DPs, new acquisitions certainly improve roster, but also offer the potential for future transfer fees. I think the GAM at $1MM is in place for an opposite reason than you suggest - not to cap roster improvement from transfer, but to force a big chunk of transfer to be used on roster. It doesn't limit utilization of more funds from transfer.   

Like I said before, rbny does not need the money to get DPs. They have philosophy to get players to fit their scheme. The playbook has been tried in various leagues and tournaments and it has shown that it is capable of winning trophies.

So when a guy like kaku tries to pull a quick one or if they sell a player to liepzig at a discount... it's not the end of the world. Rb will give ny the resources to find and develop multiple gems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users