87 replies to this topic

Metro Red

Metro Red

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Liverpool
One point I'll make that bothers me as well is not only have we cut our spending the last few years but we've cut it while the rest of the league has increased (and in some cases significantly increased) their spending. That's a worrying trend as the league continues to grow and improve and investment in talent increases.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

One point I'll make that bothers me as well is not only have we cut our spending the last few years but we've cut it while the rest of the league has increased (and in some cases significantly increased) their spending. That's a worrying trend as the league continues to grow and improve and investment in talent increases.

We're very lucky right now that 2 out of our 3 DPs are playing WAY above their paygrade. I know people are down on BWP and Kljestan right now but things can get ugly after we move on from those two if we keep filling DP spots with TAM-level players.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

We're very lucky right now that 2 out of our 3 DPs are playing WAY above their paygrade. I know people are down on BWP and Kljestan right now but things can get ugly after we move on from those two if we keep filling DP spots with TAM-level players.

I'm not down on BWP, but I recognize the possibility of diminishing returns for a striker who relies on work rate and positioning as he gets further into his 30's.  He's also been incredibly lucky with the injury bug (as have we) over the past couple of years.

#RedBullOut

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

THIS. post Sacha and BWP if they don't bang for your buck hit a home run we will be the NY version of the Union

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

THIS. post Sacha and BWP if they don't bang for your buck hit a home run we will be the NY version of the Union

Absolutely. But I would add that if they can keep a young player with crazy talent like Miazga or Adams then I'm fine paying them DP money. Miazga has looked way better than some of the clowns we've had on the backline and Adams just outplayed EVERYONE in a cup final.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Absolutely. But I would add that if they can keep a young player with crazy talent like Miazga or Adams then I'm fine paying them DP money. Miazga has looked way better than some of the clowns we've had on the backline and Adams just outplayed EVERYONE in a cup final.

True.  Retaining the talents we successfully evaluate will be the biggest contribute for success in the future. We aren't great at signing DP and TAM players but must admit homegrown/sub 200k guys we do a very good job with.  They need to give Adams a serious offer now to gauge whether to sell or not later.  Can't afford to lose him for free

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
I was flat out told by someone who would know that the team will NEVER spend big money on a player ever again. Know what that makes you in MLS v3.0? The Chester Worms: an irrelevant team that's never winning anything and nobody cares about. That's why the soda people selling would be the happiest day of my life.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

the soda people selling would be the happiest day of my life.

Don't presume that a new owner would have either the motivation or the additional finances to spend big, especially in MLS's current cartel format.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

I was flat out told by someone who would know that the team will NEVER spend big money on a player ever again. Know what that makes you in MLS v3.0? The Chester Worms: an irrelevant team that's never winning anything and nobody cares about. That's why the soda people selling would be the happiest day of my life.

Who told you, Dietrich?  What constitutes big money? $1 million, $3 million, $8 million?  Look, I'm terribly disappointed that we didn't win on Wednesday but let's not overreact.  We are VERY FAR away from being the Philadelphia Union who've failed to even make the playoffs 5 of the last 7 seasons.  They've made two US Open Cup Finals and lost those as well.  This team has been a quality side since 2010 that just hasn't solved knockout competitions yet.  Had we won the other night and gotten the Cup monkey off our backs I can only imagine how different the last three days of posts would've looked.  We had JPA, Thierry Henry, Rafa Marquez, Tim Cahill...none of those big money players won it for us.  We will win a knockout Cup one of these days, but short of acquiring Messi or Ronaldo, I'm not sold on the reason for us not winning is because Red Bull hasn't spent. To each their own opinion, but instead of looking for the next Henry, look for the next Tata Martino.  

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
Look at the top of the east. What do almost all of those teams (and all of the teams that have a legit chance to win the title) have in common? Going on the cheap may have somewhat worked in MLS v2.0. It's not going to win in MLS v3.0. This is the third year of the new austerity and the results are getting progressively worse (this year we will sneak in and get beat by Atlanta 5-1 in the playoff game (Atlanta's an expansion team. How did they get so good so quick? It's almost as if they spent money to get good players or something.). As for who told me, trust me it's someone who is very plugged into the inner workings of the team.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Savarese17

Savarese17

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

This team is a lame duck, but most of the originals are lame ducks. They will just exist in a mediocre way forever unless someone spends a massive amount of money in an original way.The excitement is gone and will never come back, the teams were never important in the first place, and even the "hardcores" have mostly moved on and are very little in number. Even if a lot is spent and someone like Pulisic comes to Red Bulls with Aubameyang today, it's still just a player stopgap that will die when they leave (like Henry, who still wasn't a 100% success). NYCFC was a chance to do it right, and MLS still fucked it up. The future will be these untapped markets built right from the beginning so a team can start big and remain big, because as we've seen starting small and hoping to grow simply does not work unless there is a radical, Kansas City-like overhaul. Therefore Red Bull needs to leave, Man City needs to leave, and the Krafts need to do something, and so on.

Never cared as much about Metro when Red Bull took over, and going to the USA/CR match really energized me and gave me a jolt. This must be what soccer is like every other week in other places. How sad is it that a soccer-loving person in this area cannot just jump into their local team because everything is so fucked up.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Who told you, Dietrich?  What constitutes big money? $1 million, $3 million, $8 million?  Look, I'm terribly disappointed that we didn't win on Wednesday but let's not overreact.  We are VERY FAR away from being the Philadelphia Union who've failed to even make the playoffs 5 of the last 7 seasons.  They've made two US Open Cup Finals and lost those as well.  This team has been a quality side since 2010 that just hasn't solved knockout competitions yet.  Had we won the other night and gotten the Cup monkey off our backs I can only imagine how different the last three days of posts would've looked.  We had JPA, Thierry Henry, Rafa Marquez, Tim Cahill...none of those big money players won it for us.  We will win a knockout Cup one of these days, but short of acquiring Messi or Ronaldo, I'm not sold on the reason for us not winning is because Red Bull hasn't spent. To each their own opinion, but instead of looking for the next Henry, look for the next Tata Martino.  

Martino has been good, but Atlanta has spent a shitload on quality players.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

tat106

tat106

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Supports:MetroReds, USMNT

Don't presume that a new owner would have either the motivation or the additional finances to spend big, especially in MLS's current cartel format.

Then what would be the onus for someone to buy the franchise, aside from "our" desire to have Red Bull out?

"It's not genius, it's practice." - Thierry Henry

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

what would be the onus for someone to buy the franchise ...?

Onus? No burden. Perhaps you meant "incentive"?
Could be an asset dump by RB, with someone else willing to buy the team but unwilling to break the bank as Toronto have done.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

cBr

cBr

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
been a fan since day 96. We've made great strides since then but come this time next year 80% of the league would have passed us up im the "ambition" department.

LAFC will not be fucking around when they open their mew stadium. The already locked in Vela.

DC has a very good chance of pulling off something simmilar to what KC did when they had their reboot. DC has already started spending some cash on players.

NYCFC's stadium situation obvioulsy sucks but they finallu have a supporting cast and Villa has a few years left in them. They also wont be fucking around in their search to fill Pirlo's DP slot.

We're in the same class as SJ,vancouver, Philly, and dallas.

I would say montreal is more ambitious than us as well

we're above RSL and of course NE.

please dont spend your money on this team until the team starts spending just a little bit. Even if you make 500k a year and ur season tickets are 400 each just dont do it out of principle

5 year plan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users