29 replies to this topic

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Hundreds of millions around the world like pro/rel, so you're outnumbered.

Many US soccer fans follow other leagues, generally because they or their parents came from those countries. They're used to it, support it, and find it odd that the USA, with its emphasis on rewarding success and punishing failure in most things, doesn't follow that practice in team sports.

Is there a poll backing that? I don't get why any of the middle of the pack teams fans would love this format. It's a never ending cycle of pointless games because they will never win. Just because they all do it doesn't mean it's the best thing either.

I personally only watch our team and team USA.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Can we do pro/rel WITH playoffs?

I don't see why they couldn't but I don't see it ever happening anyway.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

Can we do pro/rel WITH playoffs?

Liga MX does just that.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
As for this offer, even if the league could accept it (they legally can't) they would be out of their minds to do so unless presented with the money upfront. Here's a business tip: If someone offers you a $4 billion deal and they barely possess 1/4 of that amount it's highly unlikely you will see that $4 billion.

Also the idea of pro/rel in this country is pure fantasy. It will NEVER happen. What sane owner would want to risk their investment (franchise) being completely destroyed by losing major league status. And the pro/rel cult doesn't acknowledge the serious downside to the system: see the numerous teams in the UK who have been financially destroyed by the system. Does American soccer need a bunch of teams on the brink of folding after being caught in USL? Oh and that brings up another reason pro/rel is a fantasy: The single entity structure.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Is there a poll backing that?

I've never seen once. But, AFAIK every league except MLS & Australia has pro/rel.

I don't get why any of the middle of the pack teams fans would love this format.
I personally only watch our team and team USA.

The world does not have to explain itself to or satisfy you, especially when you have no interest in it.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

What sane owner would want to risk their investment (franchise) being completely destroyed

Owners are businessmen. Businesses than don't satisfy their customers fail. Why should a bunch of capitalists suddenly become communists? Or, looking at it the other way, a cartel?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts

Owners are businessmen. Businesses than don't satisfy their customers fail. Why should a bunch of capitalists suddenly become communists? Or, looking at it the other way, a cartel?

Welcome to American sports! But seriously, if you were in their shoes why would you agree to it? The idea that it's the just and noble thing isn't going to do it, we all know that.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Realistically I only support promotion if I'm a fan of a USL or NASL side. Not sure what MLS fans and owners stand to gain.

Playoffs are a must. I find the idea of weeks of games with little impact unappealing. Playoffs keep things more interesting.

This only happens if MLS stands to make more money from it. That is the only factor here. What the world does is not relevant.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Promotion/Relegation can increase the quality of the product. The worst teams go down, and the best minor league team come up. In theory, the strong survive and there is more pressure to put out a great team. In reality, we see the same teams in non-capped leagues win year after year after year. So if we were to implement promotion/relegation, minor league sides and their fans would support it. Many MLS fans would too - until their side gets relegated and the team cuts their DPs due to budget constraints from less TV money, and the team goes broke and folds. Yeah, we cannot support pro/rel in this country. It's exciting, I'd love to see Miami, Cinci, Sacramento, etc get promoted so the league is different every year. 

Look at the 2nd tier English soccer attendance numbers. 

http://www.worldfoot...ip-2016-2017/1/

It's actually pretty similiar to MLS attendance. 

http://soccerstadium...mls-attendance/

And here is USL attendance - it's horrendous.

http://soccerstadium...usl-attendance/

Soccer is so fragile in this country. Some teams could survive a relegation, but most couldn't. Most USL teams don't bring in enough money to really be all that competitive either even if they get promotion. It's exciting and all, but I'm fairly certain it would be destined to fail.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
And as I pointed out before: MLS team "owners" are owners in name only. The league is single entity IE: The league owns all the teams. Unless MLS buys every team in USL and NASL this would be problematic.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Pro/regulation sucks. There is nothing exciting about the same 4/5 teams winning every year while the rest are mid tier do nothings and the bottom feeders fight to survive.

That's why we have a salary cap

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

Soccer is so fragile in this country. Some teams could survive a relegation, but most couldn't.

In its own way, MLS has imposed the equivalent of promotion & relegation almost since its inception. People forget that MLS itself shut down both Florida clubs in 2001, and basically shut down San Jose in 2005. That wasn't for lack of success on the field, though, as both Miami & San Jose had each won the Supporters Shield in their final season!
MLS expansion is only different from promotion, in that the league allows new clubs based on buying their way into the league, instead of earning admission through success on the field. And that practice is destined to continue, as Garber collects his undisclosed share of every expansion fee, and those hundreds of millions disappear into MLS FO without accountability.

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

It's a terrible format to me and unless you're a fan of those teams that are always in the hunt for the title I don't know why anyone would like that format. I don't get the want that our league has to be like the rest of these to begin with. I prefer the playoffs.

You are completely wrong!  Survival hunt to remain in premier division is awesome to watch as well.  And there is no feeling like when your hometown team gets promoted to premier division for the first time.

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers

THis is not going to happen for a while. Its the equivalent of a bar charging $100 a head to get in but then 2 second laters they let people in for free cause they were dressed nicely. If you're the guy who paid $100 youd be pissed.

Also lets not forget that in other leagues the leagues themselves are ran under the country's FA. MLS isn't under the USSF. So how how say, a 5th division team join MLS? Not to mention whats already been brought up before that the league is making bank charging $100M+ in entry fees alone. And the owners see no need for this after investing into the league, stadiums, facilities, etc with the promise of being in first tier football. Again if you were an owner and just paid $100M entry fee, $100M for a stadium, $20 Million for facilities, hired staff, etc, etc and all the sudden they tell you to vote on something that might make all that investment useless. What would you do?

Lastly, the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, etc dont have pro/rel and have done pretty well for themselves and their sports. Even the EPL at some point was looking into getting rid of the pro/rel in order to have more stability, but couldnt because of so much legal crap and set standards that made it difficult. Lets face it there's more than one way to skin a cat and just because it works somewhere doesnt mean it work here or that its even possible. If this does ever happen it will be once all the expansion slots have been sold and add about 50 years after that. Then you can come on here and DISCUSS the possibility of this happening.

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Serg, glad you didn't post that on twitter! P/R types would gone after you!!!

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users