332 replies to this topic

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Ran the numbers at the end of the game for Kaku.

Under Jesse:

0.26 G/90, 0.86 A/90

Under Armas:

0.21 G/90, 0.26 A/90

Under Carnell:

0.28 G/90, 0.84 A/90

And there are still people paid to write on the league website who will tell you that firing Armas was the wrong move.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Amazing what happens when you play your $6M number 10 at his actual position! 

Who of the official MLS talking heads are still defending Armas?

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
I am also happy that Armas is gone and certain it was a good move, but using small sample sizes after 2 good games is really bad usage of statistics. How were the per game stats 5 days ago?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Who of the official MLS talking heads are still defending Armas?

Calen Carr has been the most vocal, but I think thats because they know each other pretty well from their Chicago Fire days.

Ive also read, more than once, that Armas could get back in the league anytime he wants, but he loves living in Long Island too much... yea, ok, sure...

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

maybe he could end up being the HC for expansion USL Rhode Island. Technically, he could live in Providence, head back to LI a couple days a week. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls
Does not matter at this point. We all knew Armas could not coach. It took more time for others to realize this. Key is Thellwell picked up on this and pulled the trigger.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Philly plays a press system.  Seems like they were able to get in the reps needed.

Philly played more games in disney.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

We all knew Armas could not coach.

Perhaps it would be better to say that
We all eventually realized that Armas was
not coaching well at the MLS level.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Philly played more games in disney.

They only got to play more games because they played well in their first three... in the same fitness level RB had for those three games.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
I just couldnt see this club breaking out as it has the past two games (8 goals) under Armas. It proves he needed to go. Had they drawn with Cinci it would be four games unbeaten. Kaku looks like he is having fun now. Royer is finding his groove. Armas is assistant coach material at the highest levels. I predict hell join a local club like the new Queensboro USL club as an assistant, or go back to coaching at a local university or even high school.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

I like Armas, think he is not a great coach but a young and good coach.

I think the pressure was on in July and he started to over think it and fiddle to much.   Wish him well  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I am also happy that Armas is gone and certain it was a good move, but using small sample sizes after 2 good games is really bad usage of statistics. How were the per game stats 5 days ago?

The exact numbers don't necessarily matter, it's clear that Kaku was a much worse player under Armas.  Coaches not named Armas are putting our best player in a position to succeed, and it's clear that Armas wasn't.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Ran the numbers at the end of the game for Kaku.

Under Jesse:

0.26 G/90, 0.86 A/90

Under Armas:

0.21 G/90, 0.26 A/90

Under Carnell:

0.28 G/90, 0.84 A/90

And there are still people paid to write on the league website who will tell you that firing Armas was the wrong move.

Armas has unique ability to neutralize star players. Now it is even more apparent he had to go when he did (well, should have been way earlier, but no later than), at least Kaku looks like he has been saved.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

The exact numbers don't necessarily matter, it's clear that Kaku was a much worse player under Armas.  Coaches not named Armas are putting our best player in a position to succeed, and it's clear that Armas wasn't.

Like I said, I do not disagree with the assumption/conclusion. The difference vs performance under Marsch is enough of an indictment, and always was. (I do prefer advanced stats and not just G/A, but the dropoff here is obvious enough for this not to matter too much.)

Just disagreeing with using the performance under Carnell as conclusive evidence of anything, especially after a convenient bump in performance (for the whole team) in the last 2 games. E.g. Barlow's per 90 numbers under Carnell probably look staggering at the moment.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

There were and are plenty of people and writers who were defending Armas.  Butler was another writer.  After we got stomped in that first game with Carnell, there were plenty of people saying how the issue wasn't Armas.(fortunately most around here seemed to understand that he was a problem)  Anyone with a brain knew it wasn't ALL Armas, but he was a problem and the only solution to that is to move on.  

It was just crystal clear in that first full year after Marsch left when the roster was basically the same(minus Tyler) but EVERY individual player was playing worse. Outside of maybe ROyer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users