73 replies to this topic

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

and frankly the whole benefit of relying on homegrown players is that they give you financial flexibility to hit more homeruns on your veteran signings to fill in roster under the cap.  The point of having Tyler Adams at under 100k is that the money you generally have to spend for a starting level CM in this league (~250K or greater) you can now spend to get impact players.  Unfortunately we have some guys making a lot of $$, with limited production.  

And this should prove doubly true with all the money they shed in the Dax deal, letting Zubar's contract lapse, getting rid of SWP, etc. etc.  The club went cheap and absolutely botched this offseason.  They didn't take anyone you'd consider a true contributor and instead chose to go with a weaker first XI and pray that some kids can contribute.  

I don't see any reason to go for a guy in the 100k range.  We need a guy in the 400-600k range on our wings to provide service and pace, I'd also like a guy in the 200-300k range for the centre of defense.  We need better quality of player and at least one contributor in our starting 11. Not like we don't have 400k+ GAM/TAM just doing nothing.

#RedBullOut

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

And this should prove doubly true with all the money they shed in the Dax deal, letting Zubar's contract lapse, getting rid of SWP, etc. etc.  The club went cheap and absolutely botched this offseason.  They didn't take anyone you'd consider a true contributor and instead chose to go with a weaker first XI and pray that some kids can contribute.  

I don't see any reason to go for a guy in the 100k range.  We need a guy in the 400-600k range on our wings to provide service and pace, I'd also like a guy in the 200-300k range for the centre of defense.  We need better quality of player and at least one contributor in our starting 11. Not like we don't have 400k+ GAM/TAM just doing nothing.

I think those are the numbers, TAM winger and 200k+ CB.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The club went cheap and absolutely botched this offseason.  

I don't even think cheap was the problem this offseason, seems more like they just flat-out didn't have anybody actually working on signing people. Instead they spent 2 months trying to fire the guy who should have been.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Marsch has showed that he likes to spend in the summer.  The logic behind it is that it gives you a player are a severely reduced cap hit for the first half year but the negative is that there is seemingly always a transition. Rare occasions where guys start strong out of the gate.

Most of the significant signings we have made happen in the summer window.  This window will be no different.  Just has to hit on the signings. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

agree on this.

Winter was about youth, new formation and continuity which got us here.

I hope summer window brings the ~700K winger and a CB option

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

I would necessarily say they went cheap. They forked a big chunk for Collins to come back, even though he has spent more time on the bench and has been erratic whenever he has seen the field. They also gave BWP a nice big raise. I am pretty sure other guys in the team received some kind of raises, so little by little it adds up.

The question is what you do when it comes time to re-sign Adams, if he were to decide to stick around? Let's say you drop Veron's salary this summer, I doubt it will not be enough to entice Adams to stay.

People talk about Atlanta being able to get a nice young exciting team but bear in mind they got a truckload of money for being a new franchise. Give them a few years and the cap is going to force them to look into moves.

Cheers

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
So far none of the guys who were supposed to step it up this year or provide a boost (Davis, Adams, Gulbrandsen, Veron) have done anything.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

So far none of the guys who were supposed to step it up this year or provide a boost (Davis, Adams, Gulbrandsen, Veron) have done anything.

Adams.  I think Adams is better than Dax right now.  By the time the playoffs come around, I think it will be more pronounced  And by the time 2 years go by, people will be laughing at the comparison.

Davis was the big let down.  Gulbrandsen not much but the guy is a striker and that position can't play with this team.  THat's on Marsch.  Then again, if BWP were to get injured, I would feel good about Gulbrandsen starting so he's valuable in that sense.  Veron hasn't done much, that is true.

Another guy who has performed over what people thought is Long.  Guy is already a good starter in this league.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Adams.  I think Adams is better than Dax right now.  By the time the playoffs come around, I think it will be more pronounced  And by the time 2 years go by, people will be laughing at the comparison.

Davis was the big let down.  Gulbrandsen not much but the guy is a striker and that position can't play with this team.  THat's on Marsch.  Then again, if BWP were to get injured, I would feel good about Gulbrandsen starting so he's valuable in that sense.  Veron hasn't done much, that is true.

Another guy who has performed over what people thought is Long.  Guy is already a good starter in this league.

I just hope Adams is here for this year's post season, forget about two years from now.  Davis will be fine and is the long term guy to play next to Felipe.  He already showed it last season and has been better this year as he's become more comfortable.

Think of the pressure that was on Davis.  Sacha may have taken the armband, but Davis was replacing Dax on the pitch.  A large percentage the fanbase weren't anti-Davis, but were very much against the trade.  And the whole time he has a future USMNT player breathing down his neck.  He was not put into an easy situation.  he's played better since he knew his job was safe, at least for a few games with Tyler in Korea.

Long has been very good.  He's the kind of player you want, mores than even Miazga.  Miazgas are great for the transfer fees they bring in, but they don't stay with your team.  You can probably pencil a guy like Long in for the next 7+ years.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

What makes you feel good about Gulbrandsen?  He has no goals in 11 appearances.

#RedBullOut

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Hes been robbed a couple of times. Was playing his best game against TFC and Marsch pulled him at halftime because Sacha didn't like having to drop back and help Felipe. And he's played a lot of minutes in the 4-2-2-2. Unfair to judge him in that formation.

I don't know if you can feel great about him, he's more an unknown that has had some positive play.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

I would necessarily say they went cheap. They forked a big chunk for Collins to come back,

Huge mistake and I said so at the time.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

As pointed out above too, he has been robbed a couple of times.  And each game he's started, he's created a good chance or two.  Sometimes out of nothing. If BWP ever actually got injured, I'm willing to bet that Gulbrandsen would do well while he was out.  

Bottom line is we can't play 2 strikers with this roster, so it's nearly impossible to get a good striker to play behind BWP because nobody wants to sit the bench.  Gulbrandsen is about as good as we're going to get for that spot.

And could not agree more about Long being great for this league.  You want continuity, so it's awesome that he's really good, but not good enough to be sold or called up to the national team.

Unfortunately Adams doesn't fit that.  He will be sold at some point, just hoping he's willing to stay another year.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

The question is what you do when it comes time to re-sign Adams

You dump Veron, give him the DP tag, and out bid Europe...which is what we SHOULD have done with Miazga.  Hopefully they learned that lesson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users