Cosmos: New investors and a potential bid for NYRB?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Interesting stuff here from two of the more respected local writers.

Michael Lewis' initial piece:

http://bigapplesocce...rticle_id=46669

Dave Martinez digging further:

http://www.empireofs...purchase-56427/

#RedBullOut

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Sounds like Dave is going to have some more nuts and bolts next week.  Cosmos buy in is now dirt cheap and it would make sense for anyone looking to get into NY to try and snag Metro as opposed to tabling a full bid.  

#RedBullOut

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
I read this yesterday.

The tldr version is someone buys the cosmos they sit out 16/17 and 17/18 then at somepoint during that time they buy out red bulls and we become ny cosmos starting in 2018 season.

I'm not gonna stop supporting us and I'll just keep wearing only metro black and red so whatever.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Completely believe that these are the pipe dreams of an ownership group wanting to be bigger fish in the American sporting pond, but is there anything more to the Red Bull's side of the story than just the SI report from a few years ago?

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

Completely believe that these are the pipe dreams of an ownership group wanting to be bigger fish in the American sporting pond, but is there anything more to the Red Bull's side of the story than just the SI report from a few years ago?

they sold the stadium to harrison. does that push things in one direction or the other? (I have no idea)

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.
Meh, this sounds like the bullshit posturing of a potential investor. I thought the local writers already kinda disproved the notion that RB would even consider offers for the team? Doubtful we're even really for sale and I think havig Liepzig do so well would only make them even less motivated for a sale.

If it is true... I think many of us would be open to new owners but this group seems too tainted. Too much baggage.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

I think it's always possible that Red Bull GmBH decides to get out of MLS and focus all of their resources in Leipzig and Salzburg.  However, the price would have to be right (and everyone has a price). They've made a tremendous investment in the MLS operation over the past decade, but I think I read we're in the bottom third of the league in terms of revenues.  If someone comes in with a $250-400 million offer to buy it all, Red Bull just might pull the trigger. Now, does a new investor see any worth in the Cosmos 'brand', do they consider returning to a derivation of MetroStars (Metro FC perhaps), or do they go with an entirely new name? Who knows? Personally, I think the Cosmos name may still be nostalgic for the over 45 set, but I think 'Metros' would engender more excitement among the current fanbase. 

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Cosmos brand hasn't ever been worth much. It's overrated nostalgia.

JerseyFan

JerseyFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USA

Metro FC please.

AS LONG AS I'M BREATHING

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
IMO, buying & renaming RB will not satisfy any fans of the recent reincarnation of the Cosmos.
I don't know that RB has current concern for any club other than Leipzig. IIRC, it sold players from Salzburg & is content to let RBS be a power in the Austrian league. With investment in a couple of impact players, RBS could have qualified for the Champions League & increased revenue by a minimum 20 million euro.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
Just Metro. No "ooh ain't we European legit now?" FC bullshit. Metro. Original and iconic. It's the only way.

Or Metro 96. Imagine that, mimicking a European naming convention that has actual connection to reality. Ain't no clubs here, just franchises.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

I think Metropolis FC would be a super name.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Sporting Metropolis FC 96!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
Oh lord, not this shit again

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
Slap a United and a Deportivo on it and we're really cooking with gas!

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users