The Argentinian.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

This team can remake a lot of the best XI...

----------BWP---------

Henry-----------Mathis

-----------Kaku---------

------Dax-Adams------

Taxi--------------Murillo

-----Ream-Parker-----

--------Robles---------

If only Kaku and BWP had an Henry-level DP...

[Edit to the below comment: Oofa, sorry Amado...Kaku to his spot, Clint to RF]

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

This team can remake a lot of the best XI...

----------BWP---------

Henry------------Kaku

---------Amado--------

------Dax-Adams------

Taxi--------------Murillo

-----Ream-Parker-----

--------Robles---------

If only Kaku and BWP had an Henry-level DP...

Hard to agree with a team that omits Clint Mathis.  

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Opinions: will Parker, Long, or both end up making the all time XI?

We have the best defense in the league with two young CBs.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
Edit - NM, saw it was missing Mathis and not Amado

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Depends on length of time here, accomplishments, etc.

IMO Long is hands down the better CB. If he leads this backline for a while at this same level he has to be in the best 11. Guy is the complete package.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

IMO Long is hands down the better CB. If he leads this backline for a while at this same level he has to be in the best 11. Guy is the complete package.

Not sure I agree with that. I think they complement each other very well. Defensively, I think Parker is better and shuts down opposing team's top forward. Tremendous job on Diomonde last night. Long, on the other hand, is a really good offensive weapon on set pieces in addition to solid overall defensive play.

As for the best XI conversation, it will come down to time with the team. From a playing standpoint, both could end up on it if they are here for another 3 years or more.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Right; length of time is very important. You can make the case that the way Parker and Long are playing now is better than any season from Petke and Parke, but those two have built multiple seasons of good-to-excellent play.

Arguably, the four Metro best central defender seasons ever are: Pope 2003, Ream 2010, Olave 2013, Miazga 2015, but they don't have the longevity of Petke and Parke. Heck, you can put Collin 2016 up there, and look how he fell off.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ
What about least vulnerable to most vulnerable as far as losing a spot in the future? For example, Id have to think BWP, Robles, and Henry are the safest in that order, then McCarty, then Kljestan and Lawrence. I would say SK is safer than Lawrence, but I could see Kemar passing him in the all time pecking order depending on how long he stays.

It is harder for me to place the guys I unfortunately was not here to see, so I did not attempt to rank them.

Unless we sold him for a huge profit beforehand, I would be disappointed if Kaku did not replace Kljestan by the end of 2020.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Long should, i honestly think hes been our most constant player the past two years. Had a few shaky games early last year but has been pretty stellar since. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

What about least vulnerable to most vulnerable as far as losing a spot in the future? For example, Id have to think BWP, Robles, and Henry are the safest in that order, then McCarty, then Kljestan and Lawrence. I would say SK is safer than Lawrence, but I could see Kemar passing him in the all time pecking order depending on how long he stays.

It is harder for me to place the guys I unfortunately was not here to see, so I did not attempt to rank them.

Unless we sold him for a huge profit beforehand, I would be disappointed if Kaku did not replace Kljestan by the end of 2020.

Good question.

BWP, Robles, Henry, and Petke are locks.

The trio in midfield is very interesting. I can see them ranked in any order, and defend any such combination. Maybe Dax is first because of longevity and 2 shields? Not sure.

This leaves us with Parke, Angel, and (gasp) Mathis. Parke is clearly in danger; I love him and what he did, but if you go as pure ability, he is clearly a 2nd tier player. Of course, holding a starting job for 5 years, and being pretty damn good all the way through is hard to match.

Mathis' 2000 was magical (but -- gasp -- if you compare to anything Titi did, it pales.) Angel was magnificent and would have been in the running for greatest Metro ever before Titi and BWP.

Really, really hard. If the next candidate is a defender, Parke or Kemar drops. If it's a forward, probably (gasp!) Mathis. If a midfielder... I don't know. That's why I did the 5-year and 10-year Best XIs. We need more people honored.

BTW, you can see all the Best XI a player has been named to inside their profiles: http://www.metrofana...ayer.jsp?ID=232

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

Right; length of time is very important. You can make the case that the way Parker and Long are playing now is better than any season from Petke and Parke, but those two have built multiple seasons of good-to-excellent play.

Arguably, the four Metro best central defender seasons ever are: Pope 2003, Ream 2010, Olave 2013, Miazga 2015, but they don't have the longevity of Petke and Parke. Heck, you can put Collin 2016 up there, and look how he fell off.

I think I'd agree with your top four central defender seasons. If Long has a strong postseason and perhaps grabs a big goal in the playoffs, he's capable of entering that conversation. 

If Long plays 2019 at the 2018 level, I think he bumps Parke for All Time Best XI. We are really fortunate to be watching such a cohesive back four. Two all star selections (should have been three as Lawrence was jobbed).

Unrelated to that, Kemar Lawrence is having a heck of a season and I think is a shoe in for best left back season in team history.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,708 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
Taxi is best all time 11
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,965 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Make it best XVIII, then! Starters plus 6 subs and GK! 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Since we're more than 50% in, time for the Best XI for 2016-2020 to be unveiled:

http://www.metrofana...t.jsp?YEAR=2020

Of course, this is in flux, and changes are bound to happen until it's frozen at the end of 2020.

Toughest calls: Collin for his wonderful 2016 over Murillo, Felipe over Davis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users