Elder Statesman

Elder Statesman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Supports:Metros

http://bigapplesocce...rticle_id=41544

He's looking sharp in practice.  I hope we sign him.  I think the Phillips brothers can contribute much more to the Red Bulls than the Kaka family.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

“He's just here to train,” Marsch said.

#RedBullOut

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

Funny thing (and I can't find it), but BWP said that when he came here he "just wanted to get back in shape," but liked it so much that he ended up staying.

I'd imagine that right now they're negotiating salary with SWP and are very far apart. 

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

“He's just here to train,” Marsch said.

Ever the optimist, with his brother struggling, I can imagine a situation where he signs on, cheap, to help out.  Not saying I would bet a beer on it.... and if we have McLean money sitting around burning a hole in Ali's pocket, and no Plan B....

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

jaemae32

jaemae32

First Team

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ

I don't seeing him signing on cheap.  He was making roughly $900K a month in England.   He wouldn't leave QPR because he wouldn't even take a 200K a month pay cut. He might sign, he won't do it cheap.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

I don't seeing him signing on cheap.  He was making roughly $900K a month in England.   He wouldn't leave QPR because he wouldn't even take a 200K a month pay cut. He might sign, he won't do it cheap.

I find it hard to believe QPR was paying him $10M.  If they were, he's made his money.  Now come have fun and help out BWP.    Its not like he has any offers on the table from anyone else right now.

EDIT: checked - saw one source had him at more like $8M, depending on euro conversion. Close enough.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

jaemae32

jaemae32

First Team

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

BWP signed cheap because he never made anywhere near what SWP has his entire career.  He prob. didn't make as much as he is right now.  SWP has and I doubt he takes a contract for less than 600K just to come to the US when he made more than that in 3 weeks prev.   Maybe he takes a 600K one,, but even then I'd be surprised.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

BWP signed cheap because he never made anywhere near what SWP has his entire career.  He prob. didn't make as much as he is right now.  SWP has and I doubt he takes a contract for less than 600K just to come to the US when he made more than that in 3 weeks prev.   Maybe he takes a 600K one,, but even then I'd be surprised.

Peggy did, and was making similar cash at one point.  You never know.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

jaemae32

jaemae32

First Team

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Given he'd be on a prorated deal, the first half year might not be extreme, prob. quite a bit after that.

hoofit

hoofit

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

I read he's on £3mm/year which is roughly $4.5mm. So the $900k/mo figure above seems legit [edit - for some reason i only believe in a 6-month year... incredible math].

No idea at  what wages would get him here, but ffs if he's training with us ("come run with us!" or whatever it is ) then I'd hope some fucktard upstairs would at least be having a bit of a chat with him.  Basically getting a freebie chance to evaluate him on-the-spot, too.

Cheers!

Excellence Not Expectations

jaemae32

jaemae32

First Team

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

May he prove me wrong.   I'm against this because there are a lot of questions in regards to him.   I do concede he'd likely be a better option on a wing.  If he did really want to play with his brother and would agree to a cheap contract, then cool.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Not too old. Probably could do well here. But, we have no money. Nothing to see here. Team across the river spent their money too, might as well go home Shaun.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
I have heard from multiple sources that SWP would have already been signed and playing if he didn't have ridiculous salary demands.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

mkbloodyen

mkbloodyen

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Supports:Metro SC

SWP doesn't deserve the money he was making at QPR, could he be effective in MLS? Probably. Does he deserve DP money? Fuck no.

I won't hold anything against the FO is salary is blocking point for this "not-on-trial" trial.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

SWP doesn't deserve the money he was making at QPR, could he be effective in MLS? Probably. Does he deserve DP money? Fuck no.

I won't hold anything against the FO is salary is blocking point for this "not-on-trial" trial.

He's arguably worth more than $450K, which is DP money.   Worth $4M?    Wouldn't be my first choice.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users