132 replies to this topic

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Supports:Metro

On one hand, Robles had his 5000th MotM performance with RBNY. On the other hand, he looked like a fool on that one goal like a year ago. So I don't know.

Metro dummy

Metro dummy

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars and foot fetishes

Missed the game but from the highlights, Robles looked like Kasper Schmeichel today.  Man of the match.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,108 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

We are:

1st in Goals Against

2nd in Wins

T-1st in Goal Differential

T-2nd in PPG

T-3rd in Goals Scored

T-3rd in Road Wins

All this with the 3rd DP slot open. Hope they fill it. Only player on the roster now that I'd give the 3rd DP is Tyler. An attacker, someone who can force Royer or Valot to the bench. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,926 posts
This was a big win and it's getting to the point where we can start talking about contending for the Shield

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Our first 1:0 league win since week 2 last year. Weird.

League, but we did best NE 1-0 away in the USOC, and of course defeated TFC 1-0 away in the playoffs ...

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

LeGue, but we did best NE 1-0 away in the USOC, and of course defeated TFC 1-0 away in the playoffs ...

Blue poseurs in OC as well.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts

Blue poseurs in OC as well.

Yep. Had forgotten about that.
My larger point was that cherry picking stats is unhelpful. We have won three 1-0 matches since the home opener last year.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Yep. Had forgotten about that.
My larger point was that cherry picking stats is unhelpful. We have won three 1-0 matches since the home opener last year.

Not cherry picking, making a point. Elimination games are clearly different than regular season play... as proven many times by this club.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

First of all, much respect to both teams, if the weather in Toronto was anything near to what it was in New York, it must have been brutal playing for 90 minutes.  It wasn't the greatest game, but I'll chalk that up to the weather.

I'm not a big VAR fan. because in a lot of cases looking at the replay doesn't settle anything.  There's been a lot of comments here that Parker touched the ball but that it couldn't have been intentional; I didn't even see Parker touch it with his hand.  Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but you couldn't tell from the replays.  It looked to me like Robles clearly hit the ball with his hand, though.  Maybe in the VAR booth they have replays that FOX didn't show, but I don't know how you can possibly award a PK based on the replays that FOX showed.

I have seen the VAR used a lot more effectively in the WC.

Robles MOTM, obviously.  I thought Parker played pretty well, too.  Especially given that he played for a while with a yellow.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts

Not cherry picking, making a point. Elimination games are clearly different than regular season play... as proven many times by this club.

Not sure what point you are trying to make. RB won three elimination games 1-0, since winning a home opener by that score on an own goal.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Not sure what point you are trying to make. RB won three elimination games 1-0, since winning a home opener by that score on an own goal.

It has been pretty clear that under Jesse, the team has performed differently in regular season and in elimination games.

Strangely, this team has rarely been able to win regular season games 1:0: they either allow a goal, pile it on, or both. And yet, that's not the case in elimination games. (Even though the sample size is rather small, and that Toronto game can be probably thrown out.)

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Think one of the initial angles showed him clearly reaching and touching the ball before the shove/fall. Weirdly that one wasn't shown again during the VAR wait.

Check the 4-minute recap. On the live feed, you can see Parker hunching/kneeling and stopping the ball with his left arm (why?? makes no sense). Then he gets pushed down and falls and never touches the ball again. PK given for the initial contact, obviously. 2:50-2:51. The replays showed slow-mos from every other angle, and they were all inconclusive or showed the push/fall, not the initial handball.

VAR ends up making the correct decision (maybe accidentally, maybe thanks to the live feed?), and terrible directing/replay work from Fox.

ig101

ig101

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,442 posts

Got lucky today, I am very happy with 3 points  :cheers:

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
Great result but a little luck mixed in with Robles to get it. I feel like this week and last weeks game were both odd. Want to see what we look like with a best 11 out there. Crazy that this is only mid season. I feel like weve played a full one already.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Check the 4-minute recap. On the live feed, you can see Parker hunching/kneeling and stopping the ball with his left arm (why?? makes no sense). Then he gets pushed down and falls and never touches the ball again. PK given for the initial contact, obviously. 2:50-2:51. The replays showed slow-mos from every other angle, and they were all inconclusive or showed the push/fall, not the initial handball.

VAR ends up making the correct decision (maybe accidentally, maybe thanks to the live feed?), and terrible directing/replay work from Fox.

Thanks.  I see what  you're saying there.  It looks like Parker reaches down and touches the ball with his left hand.  Of course, the focus on the telecast was on what happened a second or two later, when Parker is falling to the ground and braces his fall with his right arm.  

Anyway, it's all academic.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users