157 replies to this topic

onionsack

onionsack

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

I agree with Dan, too early to annoint him, though if we age adjust the stats it is pretty impressive, especially with the fact that there is no "Guevara" feeding him through balls.

One wonders how many he would be scoring if he was 26 or 27.

If he was 27 or 28 he wouldn't be here long enough to hit numbers sufficieint to put him in a Best All Time XI discussion.

One of the good/bad things about this franchise is we dont have many epic longevity performers greater than 4 years or so. So getting on the list isn;t a feat where you would need to play 10 seasons. But if Henry ends up finsihing his career here with 50+ goals and 25+ assists (and perhpas even a trophy) then you would have to look at a guy like Gio or Mathis and ask the question...who deserves to be here more on performance all time with the club?

You could move Mathis to midfield for a while I suppose, but his best ever years with the team were as a forward so we'd be doing it more to preserve his legacy than anything else. I dont have an issue with that as long as someone how clearly as a mdifielder should be there is moved.
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts

If he was 27 or 28 he wouldn't be here long enough to hit numbers sufficieint to put him in a Best All Time XI discussion.

One of the good/bad things about this franchise is we dont have many epic longevity performers greater than 4 years or so. So getting on the list isn;t a feat where you would need to play 10 seasons. But if Henry ends up finsihing his career here with 50+ goals and 25+ assists (and perhpas even a trophy) then you would have to look at a guy like Gio or Mathis and ask the question...who deserves to be here more on performance all time with the club?

You could move Mathis to midfield for a while I suppose, but his best ever years with the team were as a forward so we'd be doing it more to preserve his legacy than anything else. I dont have an issue with that as long as someone how clearly as a mdifielder should be there is moved.

That's been the whole sad story. We never keep anyone around long enough to put the whole thing together.

It started right from the beginning. We let Donadoni go with a year left in his contract, then traded Gio, and it was downhill from there.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,891 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

One of the good/bad things about this franchise is we dont have many epic longevity performers greater than 4 years or so.

If you look at the top 10 MLS all time scorers, only four of them spent their careers at just one or two teams. Most were at 4 or more. Interestingly, four of the top 10 have been Metro's - but each of the four only lasted a single season, or less! (Buddle, DeRo, Razov and Moreno).

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

La Bling

La Bling

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Supports:Inter, Metro
Posted Image

FORZA NERAZZURRI

conquistador

conquistador

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Supports:USA ESP RCDLC
So, he was into black pu....

too easy?

AHighBlackman

AHighBlackman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • Supports: Metro! - USMNT -
Henry vs San Jose Earthquakes 2012

Henry vs San Jose Earthquakes
  •    Starting 11
  • ------ BWP ---------
  •   ------ SK ---------
  • - Grella ------ L.Sam ---
  • ----- Felipe - Dax ---------
  • Kemar -------------  Duvall
  •      Damien - M&M

Blood Diamond

4 - 3 - 3

4 - 2 - 3 - 1

@RaceCardUser

Instagram: blackmanjustin

AHighBlackman

AHighBlackman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • Supports: Metro! - USMNT -

https://www.youtube....h?v=buD57251yx4

Thierry Henry vs New England 2013

His touch was very good last saturday and the one, two combinations with Roy Miller were silky smooth.

•    Starting 11
  • ------ BWP ---------
  •   ------ SK ---------
  • - Grella ------ L.Sam ---
  • ----- Felipe - Dax ---------
  • Kemar -------------  Duvall
  •      Damien - M&M

Blood Diamond

4 - 3 - 3

4 - 2 - 3 - 1

@RaceCardUser

Instagram: blackmanjustin

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYJ

I can sit and watch Henry highlight reels all day long.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I can sit and watch Henry highlight reels all day long.

Seriously, the guy's ball control is so far beyond 99.9% of the league its ridiculous.  Even just during the run of possession he takes so many small intricate touches to make sure he's in the best position to make a play, its truly a joy to watch.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYJ

Seriously, the guy's ball control is so far beyond 99.9% of the league its ridiculous.  Even just during the run of possession he takes so many small intricate touches to make sure he's in the best position to make a play, its truly a joy to watch.

I went to the home game against the Crew with my dad last season. First time he had been to a soccer match or even watched the sport for more than a passing glance.  Within 15 minutes he said "whoa, that Henry guy is really good."  I found myself saying the same thing watching Henry when I was new to soccer.  Even if you're ignorant to the sport, you can just tell this guy is different from his peers.  The touches, the movement, the vision.  Even the untrained eye can pick him out from the rest of the players.

He may not be the guy he was in his physical prime, and we may or may not win anything with him, but I'm trying to enjoy every match Henry plays for us.

Footie17

Footie17

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Portugal, Donuts

Jay-z is a fan....

http://sports.yahoo....-064555842.html

BrooklynGladiator

BrooklynGladiator

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Supports:RedBulls .. ASRoma

Oh, look, Jay-Z loved Henry... wait he's still playing? In New York? Where Jay-Z seemingly gives every sports venture he touches another 4 million eyes based on his fame and fortune alone? Hmmm... There's gotta be a PR possibility here somewhere

Footie17

Footie17

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Portugal, Donuts

There's been plenty of celebrities on Jay-Z's level that have been at Red Bull Arena. Outside of a photo gallery, our marketing staff has done a shitty job of capturing this and possibly turning this into a positive to draw more people in.

http://www.newyorkre...ityphotogallery

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,392 posts

There's been plenty of celebrities on Jay-Z's level that have been at Red Bull Arena. Outside of a photo gallery, our marketing staff has done a shitty job of capturing this and possibly turning this into a positive to draw more people in.

http://www.newyorkre...ityphotogallery

Agree on this.  Celebrities are always big selling points.

And in regards to the Henry highlights, have to say that I can watch them all day long too.  He's the one that made me a fan for life.

thoward18

thoward18

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The reality of sports is that winning a championship is rare. Even a team with an overwhelming, decorated history like the Yankees has only won one World Series in the last 12 years. And now that there are 19 (and soon to be more) teams in the league, as opposed 12 teams like MLS used to hover around, winning is going to be that much harder. Of course, the number one goal, especially for a hardware-starved team like Metro, is to put something in the trophy case, but if a trophy is going to be your sole measure of enjoyment then watching sports is going to be a miserable experience 9 years out of 10. Trophy or not, I will look back on the days of Thierry Henry fondly. Each game he did something magestic, and in many he was on a completely different level from the other 21 guys on the field. I'm happy to be able to say that I've been witness to such an incredible talent every week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users