MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

From K. Dyer:

Multiple sources tell me that there is strong interest within the league in TFC goalkeeper Alex Bono. #RBNY along with #RSL and #LAFC have some interest in the goalkeeper who has one #USMNT cap and won #MLS Cup in 2017.

https://twitter.com/...266063938031622

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

ig101

ig101

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

Makes no sense.  Why would they pursue another goalie now??  Tf.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

Makes no sense.  Why would they pursue another goalie now??  Tf.

Because our current backup played 5 games last year... in the USL.

nymetrofan90

nymetrofan90

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Bono was earning $350K last season. Why bring him in to potentially just be our #2 when he is on that much.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Would seem really anti-climactic. Bono is a decent starter, but what was the point of giving Meara a raise and pumping his tires?

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

Bono was earning $350K last season. Why bring him in to potentially just be our #2 when he is on that much.

Otherwise, that allocation money that is burning Hamlett's hand would just go waste...

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

this team makes no fucking sense

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

We're all assuming the plan was to make Meara #1, have any quotes from Robles, Armas, or Hamlett actually supported that? If this interest is genuine, the only reasonable explanation is they see Bono as a better long term starter for the same price as Robles, and Meara will stay #2.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
I thought there was a quick rumor at the very end of the season about a potential GK signing.

I don't think the team would have told Robles that he wasnt going to start next year without a new GK either finalized or near-finalized, which makes me think that the plan at least going into the offseason was Meara starting.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts

We're all assuming the plan was to make Meara #1, have any quotes from Robles, Armas, or Hamlett actually supported that? If this interest is genuine, the only reasonable explanation is they see Bono as a better long term starter for the same price as Robles, and Meara will stay #2.

Why would you give Mears a big raise if they werent planing on having him as the #1 goalie?

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Why would you give Mears a big raise if they werent planing on having him as the #1 goalie?

We just know he got a new contract, might not have come with a big raise.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Bono's pricey, but I'm not completely against it. low end TAM, i guess. McIntosh as GK3, fine with that, too. 

Meara is on $132k/$137k, earned $33k his rookie yr. it's quite possible that they tacked on some [guaranteed, non-team option] yrs to the existing contract, with a smallish pay bump to $150k or $175k.

all he has to do is drive the "x" amt of miles to and from his hometown or something. he's said REPEATEDLY in the team YT vids that he's fine here, content to be here. 

remember, Robles was here originally on a contract that wasn't great. $45k the rest of the yr after signing for us in August of '12. his 1st full yr with us (1st Shield!), he earned $77k. his last yr with us, was earning half a mil. Meara watched THAT salary progression 1st hand. imo, the team's paying him a little extra every yr to stay, and he is GOOD with it, all he has to do is sit ups and GK drills and just be ready. good work if you can get it, honestly, couple of games with the 1st team. half dozen games with the reserves, but good enough to start. 

*Instrumental to Frank Ocean's 'Sweet Life' playing in the background*

Reference:

http://mlsplayers.or...es/salary-guide

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

nymetrofan90

nymetrofan90

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

You'd think Meara's patience would eventually go away. I imagine it would be a battle between him and Bono for the #1 spot.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
So dump Robles for Bono? Makes no sense.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Even as a #1, why have that much $ tied up in him and Meara?   Though I guess we dumped Robles because of his age more than because of the $.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users