Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Supports:Creepers In Cardigans Soccer Club

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

Meh.

So Loney prompted a rant on this thread? Hmm...

Still though... reasons, rationalization whatever. I disagree with Jones wearing the armband.

Especially when he thinks he should be taking corner kicks and free kicks because he's the most experienced player out there.

It was lame and I stand by this statement.

Preston Zimmerman would agree with me.

If you're not creepin', you're not trying...

#182 fredo9

fredo9

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • Interests:The Beautiful Game & Ugly Tales
  • Supports:GALAXY!

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

I think Benny was a more deserving captain. Klinsi's stated opinion that national team players must be consummate "professionals" doesn't square with his stated reason for making Jones captain.  I don't like how Klinsi continually condescends with statements like  Jermaine is a "Champions League player" who instantly elevated the play in practice. We all saw Jones' play in South Africa. Big Red was a more composed midfield general and I thought he elevated the team's play once he entered the Panama match. 

P.S. Just Win Baby!

EDIT: Jermaine didn't stink in SA. He was injured. He did stink in the Gold Cup. I stand by the rest of my rant.
"That's life." -Bruce Arena

"There's no easy games in The MLS." -Robbie Keane

See You Later, My Friend!

#183 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

I think Benny was a more deserving captain. Klinsi's stated opinion that national team players must be consummate "professionals" doesn't square with his stated reason for making Jones captain.  I don't like how Klinsi continually condescends with statements like  Jermaine is a "Champions League player" who instantly elevated the play in practice. We all saw Jones' play in South Africa. Big Red was a more composed midfield general and I thought he elevated the team's play once he entered the Panama match. 

P.S. Just Win Baby!

EDIT: Jermaine didn't stink in SA. He was injured. He did stink in the Gold Cup. I stand by the rest of my rant.

According to Klinsmann what a player deserves for past service doesn't matter. He seems to see the captain's role as functional. Who elevates the level of play of the whole team? The answer to that question seems be the captain of choice. Apparently, Jones did that better than anyone else in camp. He however did not make good use of the captaincy during either game in my opinion. He squandered the opportunity to make the team better by seeing the arm band as an indication that he needs to do things others do better. Hopefully Klinsmann and the staff saw this and either explain to him what they are after, or give the armband to somebody else.

It does send a message to everyone in the national team pool, "I, Jurgen Klinsmann, don't care about your pedigree, your past temperament or your reputation. I ask only one question: What affect do you have on the team, on this day, in this game?"

I can't think of a better choice of captain to send that message? Now he has also exposed Jone's character as well. We'll see what he does with that revelation.

#184 Dude Love

Dude Love

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:18 AM

There are two schools of thought on Jermaine Jones - those who think his talent isn't worth the baggage, and those who will come to realize his talent isn't worth the baggage. Dude's a dirty player. We get blasted in the ass often enough in CONCACAF without giving the refs an excuse in advance.

That said...yeah, I'm being unfair to Klinsmann by already to judging him, but I was so irritated with what I saw this week. If the problem was the talent pool, then why blame Bob Bradley? And if the coach makes such a difference, where's the damn difference?

Hey, we're undefeated in 2012, I guess I should get with the program.

#185 31Charlie

31Charlie

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Supports:L.A. Galaxy

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:23 AM

That said...yeah, I'm being unfair to Klinsmann by already to judging him, but I was so irritated with what I saw this week. If the problem was the talent pool, then why blame Bob Bradley? And if the coach makes such a difference, where's the damn difference?

Probably because if BB was still the coach we would be 0-2 for 2012 with the same talent pool.

#186 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

There are two schools of thought on Jermaine Jones - those who think his talent isn't worth the baggage, and those who will come to realize his talent isn't worth the baggage. Dude's a dirty player. We get blasted in the ass often enough in CONCACAF without giving the refs an excuse in advance.

There has been a HUGE difference. Nothing about the way the Klinsmann team plays is anything like the way the BB team plays. Things about the Klinsmann team that a BB team would never do:
  • Attempt to possess the ball.
  • Play out the back as a rule not the exception
  • Play through the middle as a rule not the exception.
  • Play with an attacking midfielder.
  • Give the captaincy to Jermain Jones.
  • Bench Michael Bradley.
  • Put 3-4 players in the box during the run of play.
  • Pressure with a high line for a whole game.
  • Depend upon multiple players to score goals.
  • Practice three-a-days in camp.
  • Talk to the media about philosphy not just details.
  • Insert your observation here.
The team plays differently, trains differently, talks differently. These are the kinds of differences that may take a while to become results, but they give the United States a chance to step up to another level. The only question left to be answered for me is, "Is Klinsmann the right person to conduct this transformation?" We'll see, because as an American it will eventually boil down to results.

Probably because if BB was still the coach we would be 0-2 for 2012 with the same talent pool.

I think Bradley may have actually had a better record. The results don't matter right now. :pint:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users