• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

narthuro

narthuro

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Oh its almost as if the company line you are towing is dragging down your attempts at good sarcasm.

It's actually "toeing the line", not "towing the line". Possibly a reference to runners standing behind a starting line, or soldiers and naval crewmen having to stand at attention with their toes on the line. I know it's easy to imagine someone pulling a sled or something with a rope, implying working for, in this case, the company. But the actual meaning of "toeing the line" is to conform to set practices or standards. It still works in this case, in that Mr. Scouse is conforming to what the front office wants him to say about these stupid membership card things, but the saying has a slightly different meaning from what you may have intended.

- Etymology Man

metros11

metros11

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Just as a point of comparison the Nets are planning an event for all STH for the end of the season. I was told they are looking for the right date so that the whole team can be there. They are going to serve food and give every atendee a gift to be determined.

So when are they actually sending out these black/red cards and the rest of the season ticket packages?

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

I like how everybody is once again freaking out over something when they don't have all the facts yet. We don't know what this "VIP party" entails. We have absolutely no details about it yet. However, people (coughO-Sackcough) are already convinced that we're going to be given a cup of rainwater and a heel of stale pumpernickel and forced to watch "Freddy Got Fingered" for two hours.

Given that they forced people to pay a PSL type fee for being a STH, what makes you think they'll all of a sudden treat them with any respect?
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

You are such an optimist.

He totally is. He's the polar opposite of Harraby. Both have the haters and rightfully so, but for different reasons.

Let's break this thing down...

So, this card costs $200? $100 is given back in concessions. Fine.

So, the fluff (autographs, meet the team) where there is no quantifiable $ amount, discounted merchandise, "welcome" gift, and the "Red Card" Event you are paying costs $100.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

jevanvoo

jevanvoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,235 posts
  • Supports:RBNY USMNT USWNT

Given that they forced people to pay a PSL type fee for being a STH, what makes you think they'll all of a sudden treat them with any respect?

My red/black card was free, with $100 dollars on it to spend throughout the beer lines. What was I forced to purchase other than $100 in beer on the company dime?

"Onionsack- the soccer equivalent of a Jehovah's Witness" 

-Thoward18

Now it's the RedBulls fans. they may be even louder than the DC guys who, for reasons beyond imagining, had 50 seats saved for them up front.

Philadelphia: I love you guys, really, but you're getting schooled.

The noise in here is deafening.
-Bill Archer 1.14.10

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

My red/black card was free, with $100 dollars on it to spend throughout the beer lines. What was I forced to purchase other than $100 in beer on the company dime?

Jevanvoo 1 - SabreMike 0

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

ilikebeet

ilikebeet

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • Supports:NYC Bars

They offered the then-Black cards for free last fall (when we were outside the playoff bubble) if you paid in full. I bit. No real regrets about it. I'll use the $100 in concessions they threw in, and that—in and of itself—is about 30% of my total ST price. So be it.

I did the same. Didn't even realize they switched the card tier names since then.

Not sure if I will go, depends how VIP (open bar? :)+ ) it is.
I shall write my life as if it was a love story. For who is to say it is not? It began with a love of football, and it will end the same.
-Puskas

Stop slobbing Euro nob.
-Matrim55

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

You had to pay your balance all up front in order to get that. So in effect you gave them a 7 month interest free loan. Try going to a bank and getting that type of deal. Why do you think they were trying so hard to get people to pay for their 2012 tixs so far in advance? The $100 dollars in beer probably cost the team less than $10, so they are coming out ahead by a significant margin.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

You had to pay your balance all up front in order to get that. So in effect you gave them a 7 month interest free loan. Try going to a bank and getting that type of deal. Why do you think they were trying so hard to get people to pay for their 2012 tixs so far in advance? The $100 dollars in beer probably cost the team less than $10, so they are coming out ahead by a significant margin.

And a CD at a bank or a money market will get you less than 2% over the course of a year. You're really grasping at straws here.

ilikebeet

ilikebeet

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
  • Supports:NYC Bars

So I'm not allowed to get a deal unless they get fucked?
I shall write my life as if it was a love story. For who is to say it is not? It began with a love of football, and it will end the same.
-Puskas

Stop slobbing Euro nob.
-Matrim55

jevanvoo

jevanvoo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,235 posts
  • Supports:RBNY USMNT USWNT

You had to pay your balance all up front in order to get that.

My tickets are basically the same price, I was going to give it to them anyways. I then got the $200 card for free with $100 on it, so my season tickets were $30 this year! :D

"Onionsack- the soccer equivalent of a Jehovah's Witness" 

-Thoward18

Now it's the RedBulls fans. they may be even louder than the DC guys who, for reasons beyond imagining, had 50 seats saved for them up front.

Philadelphia: I love you guys, really, but you're getting schooled.

The noise in here is deafening.
-Bill Archer 1.14.10

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
I bought my 2012 tickets early and got the deal for the Red Card. With the $100 concessions credit which I was going to spend anyway, basically my tickets cost $10 more each than 2011. That's a pretty good deal for a ticket in the lower bowl.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I remember ... getting to go to open bar at the W in JC with the entire team, just for being a season ticket holder.

RB does know how to throw a party! I swear, I ate & drank the value of my season ticket! :cheers:

With the $100 concessions credit which I was going to spend anyway

I wasn't planning to spend any money on concessions, my general practice the past 2 years at RBA, & as far back as I can remember at GS. So, I can get $10 worth of beer, conveniently overpriced at $100.
We'll see if the free card remains that price next year. :unsure:

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

That money sitting in the bank over 7 months would get me... ummmm.... $5 interest? Granted, if you're broke-ass and need to put it on some 15% interest credit card (we've all been there), maybe season tickets aren't the right life choice at this moment anyway. So for $5 or $10 lost interest I get all that other stuff? I absolutely love my autographed team posters. They look great framed in my office. VIP kickoff event? Who knows. But I'll easily spend enough in the shop, with the 25% discount, to cover it, even before I get to the concessions credit, which I will easily burn through before the weather gets warm. A bargain. But I'm still pissed they changed it from black - I like the cards in my wallet all color coordinated.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

hoboken16

hoboken16

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Pompey

They offered the then-Black cards for free last fall (when we were outside the playoff bubble) if you paid in full. I bit. No real regrets about it. I'll use the $100 in concessions they threw in, and that—in and of itself—is about 30% of my total ST price. So be it.

+ 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users