428 replies to this topic

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The argument is if youre are only going to look at stats, BWP is the best. I dont think thats how greatness should be determined though. Theyre important for sure, I just dont think you can overlook bad misses in important matches. I understand he has probably had a proportionate amount of bad misses in the regular season, but we are talking about the being the best ever. I think you expect the best ever to come up big when the big moment arises.

And, Im not an anti-stat guy; The Numbers Game by Chris Anderson is one of my favorite soccer books. I just think you have to look at more when about the GOAT.

No. Its just an example of how stats dont tell the full story. In terms of numbers, a goal is a goal. That doesnt mean the goal Mines scored is anywhere near the quality of the goal BWP in the first leg at Tijuana with three defenders hanging all over him.

Okay, so do you want to cite which Metro player is the GOAT, instead of BWP, on the basis of clutch scoring or whatever?

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Okay, so do you want to cite which Metro player is the GOAT, instead of BWP, on the basis of clutch scoring or whatever?

I said it earlier, but I think BWP is the GOAT based on his overall stats AND what hes done in CCL this year. Hes put behind him some of his issues in knockout series and has been the best player on the pitch in each of the four CCL games.

Before this year, I would have went Henry. For my money, Henry had more great moments/highlights, even if he never had the numbers BWP does. Both players could have done more in the playoffs, but Henry never had the glaring misses in big spots BWP has had.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

All I'm saying is that using "no cups from BWP" is kinda a BS standard considering nobody else has been able to do it either.

I think he's the best metro of all time but I just don't think he deserves a statue unless we win a cup.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I said it earlier, but I think BWP is the GOAT based on his overall stats AND what hes done in CCL this year. Hes put behind him some of his issues in knockout series and has been the best player on the pitch in each of the four CCL games.

Before this year, I would have went Henry. For my money, Henry had more great moments/highlights, even if he never had the numbers BWP does. Both players could have done more in the playoffs, but Henry never had the glaring misses in big spots BWP has had.

Haha, perception is reality, right?

I once came across a blooper compilation video of the top soccer scoring gaffes and there was Henry (Arsenal at the time) about two feet from the goal line sending it straight up and over the bar. 

How come you don't mention the time Henry cost us the playoff win against DCU in 2012 by voiding Cooper's PK?

Everybody's shit smells the same.

Praising BWP doesn't have to be a slap at Henry and vice versa. Appreciate that you were there for both.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Praising BWP doesn't have to be a slap at Henry and vice versa. Appreciate that you were there for both.

Agreed, but only one can be considered the greatest.

MetroCab

MetroCab

Brilliant!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

When we build the statue, can we get him in the heel click celebration pose?

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

When we build the statue, can we get him in the heel click celebration pose?

But how can he be up in the air????

Seriously though, I think of this on a somewhat regular basis, what would be the best way to make it look like he's jumping into the air?

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

11th all time in MLS in goals scored, less than HALF the games played of next two he's gonna pass.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Seriously though, I think of this on a somewhat regular basis, what would be the best way to make it look like he's jumping into the air?

Magnetic levitation.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

11th all time in MLS in goals scored, less than HALF the games played of next two he's gonna pass.

I heard some stat like he's scored more goals in 5 seasons in the league than anyone in league history. 

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I heard some stat like he's scored more goals in 5 seasons in the league than anyone in league history. 

Yup.  First goal against Minn tied Wondo, second broke the record...only three games into the 5th season.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

https://www.mlssocce...wright-phillips

23:32 Bradley Wright-Phillips ... best-ever MLS goalscorer?

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JerseyFan

JerseyFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USA

The most accurate measure of who is the greatest is the number of MF Hero of the Week/Year awards won by someone. BWP is 2 behind Henry and 5 behind Rod for most all time.

AS LONG AS I'M BREATHING

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

The most accurate measure of who is the greatest is the number of MF Hero of the Week/Year awards won by someone. BWP is 2 behind Henry and 5 behind Rod for most all time.

When new fans question why we Metro fans are so cynical, point them to this stat - a freaking inanimate carbon rod is leading our all time "player of the week" category.   :blink:  :D

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Use the corner flag as the post

http://i.dailymail.c...35145987578.jpg

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users