269 replies to this topic

Did I Do That?

Did I Do That?

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
Good old Joe.

Board members who raised questions about whether the university ought to go forward with the payments were quickly shut down, according to two people with direct knowledge of the negotiations.

In the end, the board of trustees — bombarded with hate mail and threatened with a defamation lawsuit by Mr. Paterno’s family — gave the family virtually everything it wanted, with a package worth roughly $5.5 million. Documents show that the board even tossed in some extras that the family demanded, like the use of specialized hydrotherapy massage equipment for Mr. Paterno’s wife at the university’s Lasch Building, where Mr. Sandusky had molested a number of his victims.

The details of Mr. Paterno and his family’s fight for money seem to deepen one of the lasting truths of the Sandusky scandal: the significant power that Mr. Paterno exerted on the state institution, its officials, its alumni and its purse strings.

Matrim55

Matrim55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,309 posts
  • Supports:Metros
Worthwhile read (first in a long time) from Rick Reilly:

http://espn.go.com/e...rno-true-legacy

I tweeted that, yes, Paterno should be fired, but that he was, overall, "a good and decent man." I was wrong. Good and decent men don't do what Paterno did. Good and decent men protect kids, not rapists. And to think Paterno comes from "father" in Italian.

This throws a can of black paint on anything anybody tells me about Paterno from here on in. "No NCAA violations in all those years." I believe it. He was great at hiding stuff. "He gave $4 million to the library." In exchange for what? "He cared about kids away from the football field." No, he didn't. Not all of them. Not when it really mattered.

What a tool I was.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York
Seriously, no one posted in this thread today? Woah.

http://news.blogs.cn...ball/?hpt=hp_t2

NCAA announced a $60 million fine against Penn State University on Monday and took away 14 seasons of football victories from the late Joe Paterno.

The school's football team was also banned from the postseason for four years and will lose 20 football scholarships a year for four seasons, NCAA President Mark Emmert said.

Emmert said the unprecedented fine will be paid over five years to fund programs that serve the victims of child sexual abuse.

The Big Ten Conference also acted Monday, ruling Penn State ineligible for its conference title football game and saying the Nittany Lions' share of bowl revenues for the next four seasons - approximately $13 million - will be donated to charities that "protect children."

So, curious where people think this falls on the "fair" scale. To me it seems about right, or in the middle range of reasonable enough, anyway. I would not have been surprised with a 1 year ban, but I also heard a lot of people saying that they'd never death penalty them, so, expecting that was off the table, this seemed about as close as they could come without doing that. Certainly could have ended up worse.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO
I saw it on ESPNews this morning. Once I watched for a couple of minutes, I was trying to see what players would elect to bail the fuck outta Happy Valley.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

HoosMetros

HoosMetros

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, UVa
Fairness is a tough concept here, since the NCAA came up with an economic penalty for a serious moral wrong, which has no precedent or status in the NCAA code.

Best part of the decision- the right for players to not have to sit out a year without a transfer. The kids in many ways are affected most by the actions of others, and they should have every right and opportunity to keep playing for all the college football rewards that exist.

Worst part: The 60 million dollar fine. My feeling is that (since football revenue will probably decline)- this will only be covered by a tuition hike, or a shift in State aid. Seems like a big number for the sake of a big number. PSU can figure out many ways around this, without any real impact on those who harmed the University

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Fairness is a tough concept here, since the NCAA came up with an economic penalty for a serious moral wrong, which has no precedent or status in the NCAA code.

Best part of the decision- the right for players to not have to sit out a year without a transfer. The kids in many ways are affected most by the actions of others, and they should have every right and opportunity to keep playing for all the college football rewards that exist.

Worst part: The 60 million dollar fine. My feeling is that (since football revenue will probably decline)- this will only be covered by a tuition hike, or a shift in State aid. Seems like a big number for the sake of a big number. PSU can figure out many ways around this, without any real impact on those who harmed the University

Who gives a fuck about Penn State, kids can just go to another college.

Matrim55

Matrim55

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,309 posts
  • Supports:Metros

They've raised $208 million since the scandal broke and are on track for their best year for donations in history by a wiiiide margin. Hopefully that will cover it.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

They've raised $208 million since the scandal broke and are on track for their best year for donations in history by a wiiiide margin. Hopefully that will cover it.

I'm not surprised at all. Rally cry for those alumni with "school pride."

The most difficult part for Penn State is the reduction in football scholarships. And how they will not be a factor in the Big Ten in any capacity over the next 5 years.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO
A loss of 20 schollies for 4 yrs. Pretty huge. I remember when UMiami lost a bunch of scholarships per yr over the course of several yrs about a decade ago, they were affected as well.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Amerisnob

Amerisnob

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Supports:Cosmos, Metro, PAOK
It'll take at least a decade before they can recover on the field.

Off the field $60 million (+ more from the Big Ten) is about 1 year of football revenue. I guess the loss is offset by those donation numbers, but I don't know if people will still buy tickets/merchandise for a sucky Penn State team that is now associated with tolerating pedophilia.

What those donation numbers tell us though is that the school's culture hasn't changed one bit. It's a resounding approval of the insular thinking that led to the coverup in the first place. Winning football games will remain the most important thing. And from that perspective, maybe the NCAA should've had them take the year (or several) off.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
Regarding donations: unless it was designated to the general fund, PSU can't just take the donations and apply them how they want. I used to work in fundraising for the school and we had to ask what the money was being designated for. Many times it was for scholarships, specific organizations or departments.

If I were to call tomorrow and say that I wanted to donate to the Meteorlogy Program, none of that cash could be used for these fines or the football program.

EDIT: Also, we have a shit ton of branch campuses which is where a lot of the donations are funneled to as well.

What those donation numbers tell us though is that the school's culture hasn't changed one bit. It's a resounding approval of the insular thinking that led to the coverup in the first place. Winning football games will remain the most important thing. And from that perspective, maybe the NCAA should've had them take the year (or several) off.

What a retarded statement. You're aware these donations cover a large portion period from BEFORE the scandal, right? Donations to THE SCHOOL are up. Athletics donations are down, which basically flies in the face of your fucking ignorant claim that we only care about football.

Besides that, the students have already organized a child abuse awareness day, alumni have donated over a million dollars to RAINN (myself included), and those same students raised over $10 million dollars for pediatric cancer research this year. Stop being ignorant, start doing research on a subject before you form an opinion about it.

#RedBullOut

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

Regarding donations: unless it was designated to the general fund, PSU can't just take the donations and apply them how they want. I used to work in fundraising for the school and we had to ask what the money was being designated for. Many times it was for scholarships, specific organizations or departments.

If I were to call tomorrow and say that I wanted to donate to the Meteorlogy Program, none of that cash could be used for these fines.

Yep, worked in the alumni giving office as work study at my college as well. Donations had the option to be earmarked for a certain thing or can just towards a general fund.

$60 million is a lot of money, no doubt about it, but Penn State is one school that can take that specific hit. The loss of scholarships and the years it will take to rebuild the football program is what will effect the finances long term.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Amerisnob

Amerisnob

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Supports:Cosmos, Metro, PAOK
I wasn't talking about students or alumni. I was talking about administration, namely the athletic department. Though there were some stupid things done by students, like rioting when he was fired and fighting to keep that statue even AFTER all the facts were presented.

Athletic scholarships are down? More than half of that $208 million is going to the athletic department, including a brand new hockey arena. The same athletic department that put winning football games in front of protecting children from sexual abuse.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

I wasn't talking about students or alumni. I was talking about administration, namely the athletic department. Though there were some stupid things done by students, like rioting when he was fired and fighting to keep that statue even AFTER all the facts were presented.

Athletic scholarships are down? Half of that $208 million is going to the athletic department, including a brand new hockey arena. The same athletic department behind this sick thing.

Those same kids were the ones organizing a candle-light vigil for the victims attended by over 10,000 people 2 days later.

The new hockey arena was an $88 million dollar donation by Terry Pagula. After further thought he increased his donation to $102 million to create an endowment for a mens and womens hockey teams teams. Pagula owns the Buffalo Sabres. The hockey arena was approved and being built BEFORE the scandal happened. We begin play this fall.

Any more bullshit you want me to correct? I can go all day.

#RedBullOut

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Stop being ignorant, start doing research on a subject before you form an opinion about it.

Any more bullshit you want me to correct? I can go all day.

How about you change the tone of your comments? Eh?
You should be relieved that PSU still has a football team, IMO. Think about that.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users