Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Frederik Gulbrandsen? Norwegian 2nd striker. 5'9", from RSalzburg. 

https://www.youtube....I&feature=share

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Frederik Gulbrandsen? Norwegian 2nd striker. 5'9", from RSalzburg. 

https://www.youtube....I&feature=share

http://www.onceametr...-york-red-bulls

This is probably what Marsch was talking about as far as potentially adding an attacking player.

Between the age and production, have to like it.  

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Dude's barely played in a few years now, injury problems or just not good enough to crack the starting lineup?

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

http://www.onceametr...-york-red-bulls

This is probably what Marsch was talking about as far as potentially adding an attacking player.

Between the age and production, have to like it.  

How frustrating is it that the only people we can get are RB leftovers from Leipzig or Salzburg? Are those the only types of people we are limited to signing? 

And beyond that, we rely on the likes of Lloyd Sam to scout guys and bring Baah in. Marsch traded for Felipe up in MTL cause he was familiar with him. 

Seems like the only major signings we made outside of our bubble are Royer and Veron. The lack of creativity in player recruitment is very frustrating. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

How frustrating is it that the only people we can get are RB leftovers from Leipzig or Salzburg? Are those the only types of people we are limited to signing? 

And beyond that, we rely on the likes of Lloyd Sam to scout guys and bring Baah in. Marsch traded for Felipe up in MTL cause he was familiar with him. 

Seems like the only major signings we made outside of our bubble are Royer and Veron. The lack of creativity in player recruitment is very frustrating. 

I have mixed feelings about it. In theory, it's actually great. It removes a lot of effort necessary in doing homework. You know the players are a fit for the team's tactics. You know Salzburg and Liepzig are negotiating in good faith. You don't have to worry about the team hiding anything that might make you turn away. I would imagine that a lot of MLS signings are just teams throwing darts. Reality is that the likes of New England, Chicago, etc. have no hope of competing with the vast scouting network of two top flight European teams with CL ambitions. I would bet that Royer/Midtjylland were looking at possible moves to Austria, and Salzburg tipped off RBNY that he was available and would be a good addition. 

But I do not like the trend of us taking their leftovers on loan. I have pragmatic and philosophical issues with this. We know it usually takes the Europeans some time to adapt to the league, and what good is that if the guy is leaving in a couple months by the time he starts figuring it out?  It also highlights how the team is not spending shit. No transfer fee, no salary expenses. If anything, we're taking money off the books for Salzburg/Leipzig. 

Chic Charnley

Chic Charnley

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Interests:football, soccer, futball....etc
  • Supports:NYRB & PTFC

An injury prone young scandinavian attacking player from RB Salzburg! What could go wrong!

Also, happy  (30th) birthday Brian Nielsen.

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
this club at one time signed a 32 year old Thierry Henry. Now theyre just settling for crumbs that fall off their big brothers' table.

At this point screw these surplus salzburg/leipzig players and just play the kids. In a few years hopefully theyll develop into key role players and we can supplement the roster with big time DP players....after a real ownership group buys the team and rebrands of courss

5 year plan

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

quite possible that this was the sub-standard aspect of Ali's tenure. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

Once Marsch leaves, this team is so fucked.  I hope Jesse stays for at least another season (2017).  

Unless they announce the sale 1 day before the kickoff, red bull style  :cheers:

https://www.youtube....h?v=-MTUI12bLZc

FrontRow

FrontRow

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Supports:RedBulls

I don't understand.  Do you know how many MLS teams would love to have the synergy / sister club / network or whatever you want to call it that the Redbull organization has.  He fits the profile that we want.  If Frederik comes here on the cheap and gets past his injury woes  and does well....great!!!  If Brandon Allen out plays him and is above him on the depth chart, I'm fine with that too.  Let the competition begin.

Chic Charnley

Chic Charnley

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts
  • Interests:football, soccer, futball....etc
  • Supports:NYRB & PTFC

Concerned that this is similiar to the Damari deal. Both (Damari & the Norwegian) were brought in on a big transfer fee and (most likely) on a big wage. Neither have impressed, but cant be sold (tranfer fee has dropped) and are in the middle of their contract (cant be cut). Kinda in limbo.

Makes sense for RedBull (Europe) to loan them to NYRB. Use MLS monies to help pay their wages and see if they can get a few starts. 

The problem for NYRB, if these players really do show their potential and score bags of goals, I can't see NYRB being able to "buy"  these players. Most likely, RedBull (Europe) will want to recoup their transfer fee and sell. Which, could be as soon as this summer transfer window.

So, is this just a mechanism for RB (Europe) to save a few bucks or a cunning plan for NYRB to aquire young international players on  the cheap?

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

I don't understand.  Do you know how many MLS teams would love to have the synergy / sister club / network or whatever you want to call it that the Redbull organization has.  He fits the profile that we want.  If Frederik comes here on the cheap and gets past his injury woes  and does well....great!!!  If Brandon Allen out plays him and is above him on the depth chart, I'm fine with that too.  Let the competition begin.

Using the global networks scouting and player resources is great thing if its one of many avenues the club uses to bring in new players. What has some people worried is that lately we're trending towards this being the only way we can identify and sign players from outside of MLS. 

Over the past three off-seasons the only international players who appear to have been signed through nothing but our own club's efforts are Zubar, Veron, Royer, and Murillo (loan). There's a couple mitigating factors - we already have a very strong squad built around MLS and academy players so there isn't a need for many high profile international signings, and this year's FO turmoil was surely a distraction that hopefully won't be repeated next year. But it still doesn't inspire much confidence that when we're ready to move on from guys like BWP and Kljestan, who are already on the wrong side of 30, that the club will do its due diligence to make sure we have appropriate replacements lined up.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Using the global networks scouting and player resources is great thing if its one of many avenues the club uses to bring in new players. What has some people worried is that lately we're trending towards this being the only way we can identify and sign players from outside of MLS. 

Over the past three off-seasons the only international players who appear to have been signed through nothing but our own club's efforts are Zubar, Veron, Royer, and Murillo (loan). There's a couple mitigating factors - we already have a very strong squad built around MLS and academy players so there isn't a need for many high profile international signings, and this year's FO turmoil was surely a distraction that hopefully won't be repeated next year. But it still doesn't inspire much confidence that when we're ready to move on from guys like BWP and Kljestan, who are already on the wrong side of 30, that the club will do its due diligence to make sure we have appropriate replacements lined up.

Kljestan's successor is probably already on the squad.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

Kljestan's successor is probably already on the squad.

Who do you have in mind that could be a top 3 MLS attacking mid within the next few years?

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

To be honest, it makes sense that they are going to use the same scouting network for guys... THat scouting network identifies guys who fit the system, first and foremost.  Beyond that, then it just comes down to the level of play and where they go.

It does suck that we are clearly Red Bulls' 3rd team on the list, but that's the way it is.  Honestly I really don't care as long as we win, and since these guys have been in charge, we are a damn good team.  

I really don't think any of this is gonna work when Marsch is gone though... Just happen to think he's an excellent coach who holds it together.  The moneyball system isn't going to work as well when there isn't an excellent coach holding it together.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users