17 replies to this topic

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I'm risking a thread split here but the discussion of how transfer dollars are spent piqued my interest and I totaled up the inbound/outbound transfers since 2011.

According to Transfermrkt, we've sold players for about $14.3M and spent $13.7M on inbound transfers. Throw in the a few more mil to account for building the academy and USL team from the ground, and it looks like at minimum Red Bull is reinvesting what they make in sales.

Still some fair questions on whether you'd expect a bit more in the 'inbound' column given the money Red Bull is saving on guys like Adams and Clark, or given their deep pockets to begin with. Just thought it was interesting how close they've come to breaking even on the transfers.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I'm risking a thread split here but the discussion of how transfer dollars are spent piqued my interest and I totaled up the inbound/outbound transfers since 2011.

According to Transfermrkt, we've sold players for about $14.3M and spent $13.7M on inbound transfers. Throw in the a few more mil to account for building the academy and USL team from the ground, and it looks like at minimum Red Bull is reinvesting what they make in sales.

Still some fair questions on whether you'd expect a bit more in the 'inbound' column given the money Red Bull is saving on guys like Adams and Clark, or given their deep pockets to begin with. Just thought it was interesting how close they've come to breaking even on the transfers.

i am honestly a little surprised by that, though we all know unfortunately they've been very wasteful so far with transfer fees.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Good research...

I am also surprised with how close they are. I was sure there was a correlation (i.e. more outgoing transfer fees loosens the purse strings) but did not expect nearly 1:1. If Veron and Kaku ended up in the positive, maybe we would have some higher paid DPs already. 

Maybe the deal is to give RBL first dibs on an Adams or Clark-type at a discount each year and the rest of the transfer budgets just has to be self sustaining.  

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Capable, sure, but willing?  Nah.  No doubt there is one zero-sum master budget, and money we spend in one bucket is money we can't spend in another.    Money transferred between our own clubs is managed for FFP considerations, but xfer fees to other clubs is real money.

thats not how financial fair play works. Financial fair play just limits clubs from excessive spending with out equal sales in a similar period of time. Mls clubs will never be burden by financial fair play as they dont spend big enough. So anything outside of the GAM could go right into the owners pocket and doesnt have any mandate on the use so a transfer to Leipzig for 3 mil or a transfer to Bayern for 10mil makes no difference because the 1 mil gam is maxed either way

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Like I said before, rbny does not need the money to get DPs. They have philosophy to get players to fit their scheme. The playbook has been tried in various leagues and tournaments and it has shown that it is capable of winning trophies.

So when a guy like kaku tries to pull a quick one or if they sell a player to liepzig at a discount... it's not the end of the world. Rb will give ny the resources to find and develop multiple gems.

Yeah, I was more saying that higher transfer fees outbound definitely means higher spending inbound. I do think there is a separation between RB global money and RBNY money. 

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

the academy is essentially paid for by a pay for play pre academy and coaching business camps etc. that is a cash cow. Millions in revenue 40k kids under the umbrella

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

thats not how financial fair play works. Financial fair play just limits clubs from excessive spending with out equal sales in a similar period of time. Mls clubs will never be burden by financial fair play as they dont spend big enough. So anything outside of the GAM could go right into the owners pocket and doesnt have any mandate on the use so a transfer to Leipzig for 3 mil or a transfer to Bayern for 10mil makes no difference because the 1 mil gam is maxed either way

But for Leipzig it does matter. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

It's FFP on the euro side.     Papa RB needs to show they break even on their stand-alone books, so they can cook the books a bit by paying us less than market prices.    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

It's FFP on the euro side.     Papa RB needs to show they break even on their stand-alone books, so they can cook the books a bit by paying us less than market prices.    

Also matters for Red Bull on the US tax side, I'd guess. I assume it would be better on US taxes to show a $0 net. Not sure how German taxes work. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I've said this a couple of times already, but while we feel Adams/Clark were sold on the cheap, especially in hindsight with Adams, it's hard to prove that if there were no higher competing offers from teams other than RBL.

I'd agree that NYRB MIGHT have declined equivalent offers for Adams/Clark from a non-RB club if Leipzig weren't interested (like with Long) but even that's a bit speculative.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Yeah, I was more saying that higher transfer fees outbound definitely means higher spending inbound. I do think there is a separation between RB global money and RBNY money. 

I dont think that is accurate. The Adam's deal is evidence. As long as rbny provides for rb global, rb global will provide for rbny. Rb global has one of the best scouting networks in the world and our infrastructure is much better now than when Adam's was part of this team.

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

But for Leipzig it does matter. 

yes but us giving them a discount will only help them it doesnt really change anything for us

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I dont think that is accurate. The Adam's deal is evidence. As long as rbny provides for rb global, rb global will provide for rbny. Rb global has one of the best scouting networks in the world and our infrastructure is much better now than when Adam's was part of this team.

Does RB global do anything for scouting academy players in the US? Sounds like something our guys on the ground here would be responsible for. I don't stay close to the academy ranks but it doesn't seem like we've got an influx of international players joining at the academy level.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I've said this a couple of times already, but while we feel Adams/Clark were sold on the cheap, especially in hindsight with Adams, it's hard to prove that if there were no higher competing offers from teams other than RBL.

I'd agree that NYRB MIGHT have declined equivalent offers for Adams/Clark from a non-RB club if Leipzig weren't interested (like with Long) but even that's a bit speculative.

No one was going to bother bidding aginst RB, but we can look at similar player moves and get an idea that it was certainly on the low end of the valuation.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Does RB global do anything for scouting academy players in the US? Sounds like something our guys on the ground here would be responsible for. I don't stay close to the academy ranks but it doesn't seem like we've got an influx of international players joining at the academy level.

Didnt rb global just invest a lot of money on a new gm, youth director and scouting director for nyrb?

As for influx of international youth or youth from other parts of the country... the next step for the academy should be a residence program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users