34 replies to this topic

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Im concerned about Reyes only insomuch that we got rid of a known quantity in Parker and Longs future is uncertain.

What Im more concerned about is that:
1. We need a better player than Pendant at LB.
2. We need real DP game changing players in both the midfield and forward positions. Especially since it seems that Kaku and Clark are not in our long term plans.

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

Im concerned about Reyes only insomuch that we got rid of a known quantity in Parker and Longs future is uncertain.

2. We need real DP game changing players in both the midfield and forward positions. Especially since it seems that Kaku and Clark are not in our plans.

I guess Clark is in the plans for this year, but agree on those 3 additions. 

Would love to somehow trade something like Meara, White, and/or Davis to Colorado for Sam Vines, but there's no way I think. Unless he wants to jump on the RB train to Salzburg.  

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

2. We need real DP game changing players in both the midfield and forward positions. Especially since it seems that Kaku and Clark are not in our long term plans.

generally my view is that any significant player in our plans for the whole of the next season is "long-term" and does not need to be replaced until they leave, unless the plan is to develop a replacement the year before.  So with Kaku/Clark if you signed an experienced/young CAM, thats actually worth it, that player wont sign here to be Clark's backup. So we get that deal wrapped up when Clark goes but start scouting now obviously.  Or they think Carmona is the replacement and are developing him. 

That said we still need a DP second forward though.  If we succeeded in signing Haksabanovic i'd be pretty happy about the state of the roster compared to my offseason expectations.   

I am ok giving Pendant a chance with full preseason to see if he's more settled but if he still looks bad get a replacement in summer and transfer him out.  Dude needs to bulk up and be a bit more composed in tight spaces.  but he just was average to me last year.  Hoping for a Tolkin jump though.

67% Class

67% Class

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

Also have to be prepared for Long to be gone in the summer. Hopefully, Reyes is more than he looked like at Miami, but still might need another CB. Unless Amro and Nealis are ready? Even if so, doing a 3 CB setup sans long the second half of year would be a bad move, without reinforcements from outside. 

esp76

esp76

New Signing

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Barca
Amro and Nealis are fine to replace Long when out. There are other priorities like an attacking mid. Amro at times over the last two years played better than Parker. Reyes is a much better passer than Parker and with a year under his belt he should be an upgrade over him. His upside potential exceeds Parkers.

esp76

esp76

New Signing

• Pip
  • 22 posts
Also dont be surprised if Egbo is a part of the back three.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Kind of crazy that they could go into the season with 1 DP in Yearwood, who as a YDP has a lower cap hit than a regular senior DP.

esp76

esp76

New Signing

• Pip
  • 22 posts
The fact they made an offer for the Montenegrin midfielder means they are looking to add at least another DP, Im sure we will get a few more players coming in.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Kind of crazy that they could go into the season with 1 DP in Yearwood, who as a YDP has a lower cap hit than a regular senior DP.

at this point im assuming we cant go for another DP until Kaku situation is resolved.  I think we will get another DP in the summer at this point. 

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

at this point im assuming we cant go for another DP until Kaku situation is resolved.  I think we will get another DP in the summer at this point. 

They were at least close to bringing in Haksabanovic before the Kaku to Al Tawoun situation even happened. So Im not sure how true that is.

While theyve signed a handful of players and have at least 2 more? (Harper and Coronel) on the way, I cant imagine theyve spent very much allocation money this offseason.

Edwards, Coronel, Fabio all brought in on loan. Carmona a free? Harper is out of contract in the summer so that fee cant be too high. Reyes probably cost the most maybe $1-2 million.

Theyve brought in a lot of supplemental pieces that should improve the level of the team but not sure theyve eliminated very many of the question marks that existed at the end of 2020 or combated the narrative that they are incredibly cheap in a league that spends more each season.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,039 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

The fact they made an offer for the Montenegrin midfielder means they are looking to add at least another DP, Im sure we will get a few more players coming in.

This is the most frustrating part of it all for me.    You know going in that there is a good chance your offer will be rejected.    You have money, you have holes to fill, How do you go into an off season with no Plan B and C?     Why isn't there an immediate offer made to your second choice as soon as the other deal is dead?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

esp76

esp76

New Signing

• Pip
  • 22 posts

esp76

esp76

New Signing

• Pip
  • 22 posts
They were pursuing the midfielder while kaku was still on board so I see no reason why they would hold off on a move until the Kaku thing is resolved. Im sure they had an inkling what was going to happen with kaku.

esp76

esp76

New Signing

• Pip
  • 22 posts

This is the most frustrating part of it al for me.    You know going in that there is a chance your offer will be rejected.    How do you go into an off season with no Plan B and C?     Why isn't there an immediate offer made to your second choice as soon as the other deal is dead?

How do you know they dont have a plan B or C? You have insider information that we arent privy to?

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

They were pursuing the midfielder while kaku was still on board so I see no reason why they would hold off on a move until the Kaku thing is resolved. Im sure they had an inkling what was going to happen with kaku.

my view is at that time they were assuming Kaku would get sold in Jan.  Now they have a drawn out legal case on their hands.  The cynical person in me thinks Haksa deal fell apart when they realized they wouldnt get the Kaku money this window.  Otherwise its strange for Dyer to get leak that the deal is close, and then it falls apart over $1mm.  Thats sketchy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users