187 replies to this topic

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

...also the trio of Felipe/Davis/Adams more than overcomes the loss of Dax...

Keep in mind, the other option would have been the trio of Dax/Davis/Adams which even more so would have overcome the loss of Felipe.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Keep in mind, the other option would have been the trio of Dax/Davis/Adams which even more so would have overcome the loss of Felipe.

Right.  And, even though Felipe is significantly younger than Dax, CM is an area of depth in the RB system and a spot that could have been filled by Metzger in a few years when Dax retired.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

I don't see how any Red Bulls fan would come to this conclusion watching games this entire season. He was the heart and soul of the team.

The worst trade in team history and one of the worst ever in MLS.

I would not have done the trade, but RB did get a big chunk of Allocation Money for a 30 year old player that missed significant time with an injury the prior season and was only OK at the start of that season.  RB also went undefeated in his absence with the injury.  The argument that giving Robles and Felipe raises and signing Collin and whoever else was a poor use of the dollars they got in return, is a rock solid one.  One of the worst trades in MLS ever?  Maybe for his wife that had to give up NY for Chicago.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

i'm fine with no player retiring here. I think every player, when they approach 30, should be sold or traded away. It would mean that the team would have to start using the DP spot with "Young DPs".

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

I actually don't think it's as much of a difference as many who have pushed this narrative want it to be (particularly on mlssoccer who for most of the season pushed this as the main reason why the team struggled early). And also, it's been confirmed that RBNY was actively listening to offers for Sacha, Felipe, and Dax. So for me that adds a wrinkle to the whole debate. 

Felipe has been extremely consistent this season and grown in that deeper role, while the other two guys flourished as well in their various roles. I also love Dax and consider him a Metro great, but lets not forget that the 2016 team suffered from some similar defensive issues as the 2017 team. The main difference for that team was not Dax (who also missed games), but Collin who is an above-average organizer, and very good at emergency defending in the open-field (which suits our team style). When he played our record improved dramatically. I imagine a healthy Collin would have a similar impact to the 2017 team. 

Dax in 2016 had some injury troubles and didn't really have as great of a season as his superb 2015 season. The failure of 2017 for me is not his absence, but more on Marsch for not solving his CB issues in the off-season and properly harnessing his talent pool during the season. For me those issues stand out, as well as injuries to some key players like Collin and Royer, and Sacha's slow start. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The defense gives up stupid goals.  That has nothing to do with Dax.  Teams bypass our entire midfield either straight over the top up the middle or via the long switch.  Then our defenders either don't make the play or make stupid mistakes.  Dax/Felipe/whoever has nothing to do with that.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

The defense gives up stupid goals.  That has nothing to do with Dax.  Teams bypass our entire midfield either straight over the top up the middle or via the long switch.  Then our defenders either don't make the play or make stupid mistakes.  Dax/Felipe/whoever has nothing to do with that.

Dax probably helps with, not all, but at least some go that.  He's better in the air on set pieces than Felipe is and he's probably better at organizing the team on set pieces.  Agreed though, Felipe over Dax is not our biggest issue defensively.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

The defense gives up stupid goals.

Both KC goals in the USOC final came on ridiculous defensive lapses. Not bodying &/or outjumping the smallest opponent, and turning the wrong way & letting an opponent run past to turn a lob past the keeper.

Teams bypass our entire midfield either straight over the top up the middle

It doesnt help, when the back line is positioned almost up to midfield.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users