1725 replies to this topic

ig101

ig101

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Weather promises us close to 60 degrees high, low wind and 10% rain chance.  Forza Metro  :ph34r:

ig101

ig101

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

8z9WFMb.png

defendyourself

defendyourself

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Jesse just confirmed his thoughts on our CB situation.  He thinks Aaron Long will be a starter next to Collin this year.  That would leave DP as 3rd string, and means that he has to get a MLS contract in the next couple of days.  Long has looked good every time I have seen him so hope it carries over.

http://www.goal.com/...SP_HN_HP_RI_1_3

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,556 posts

I liked Long but DP is still better than him.  Going forward Long makes plenty of sense.  Physically capable of everything.  A touch error prone still, but that will get better with time.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

great article.

They acknowledge Long may have growing pains but will be the 2nd CB and allowed to grow into the role.

"We think Aaron Long is going to emerge this year as a regular starter," Marsch said. "We think he has a very high potential. He may have some growing pains early, but he’s shown a lot with the USL team, and in the times he’s played with us in the Champions League."

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,380 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

great article.

They acknowledge Long may have growing pains but will be the 2nd CB and allowed to grow into the role.

"We think Aaron Long is going to emerge this year as a regular starter," Marsch said. "We think he has a very high potential. He may have some growing pains early, but he’s shown a lot with the USL team, and in the times he’s played with us in the Champions League."

Defenders "growing pains" are always more pronounced than other positions - mistakes there are costly and very visible.    Miazga made his share of mistakes, but with him you saw a very steady, obvious progression (despite the occasional setback).    Having Collin will help, but not having Dax in front will hurt, and whichever fullback he has next to him will have a huge impact as well.     Let's hope his USL resume isn't the defensive version of Andre Akpan.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

great article.

I was at Petke's first start for the Metro. Despite one big gaffe that cost us, I remember saying to myself, this guy has a real future. Everyone makes mistakes. Dax had his share of bad passes through the middle that would get intercepted and put us under pressure.

The key question is how high is his ceiling? He will only reach his potential if he makes a few of those bone headed "learning experiences" at the MLS level. Better he makes a few early in the season than at playoff time.

I haven't seen him enough to prognosticate at this point, but you have to give someone enough 1st team minutes for him to develop.

Metro Red

Metro Red

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Liverpool
So they bring Long along (awkward wording) during the regular season.  Mistakes will happen, as they do for every defender anyway.  We've been regular season champs, what we care about is the playoffs so he should be settled by then if he is as good as they think he might be.  If not then signing/trade etc.

Based on those quotes and rumors im thinking we sign that young RB that's been rumored and it sounds like one more attacking player.  I'm guessing the attacking player is in the summer and hoping it's a DP.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I was at Petke's first start for the Metro. Despite one big gaffe that cost us, I remember saying to myself, this guy has a real future. Everyone makes mistakes. Dax had his share of bad passes through the middle that would get intercepted and put us under pressure.

The key question is how high is his ceiling? He will only reach his potential if he makes a few of those bone headed "learning experiences" at the MLS level. Better he makes a few early in the season than at playoff time.

I haven't seen him enough to prognosticate at this point, but you have to give someone enough 1st team minutes for him to develop.

This is one benefit of MLS/playoffs, he basically has until October to get himself together.  He doesn't need to be the finished product in April.  I think our team in general this season is in a better position to peak by the playoffs  

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,004 posts

So is Long starting over Perry Nelly?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,380 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

So is Long starting over Perry Nelly?

seems to be the implication

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

rhactl7

rhactl7

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Is Baah healthy? Where is he on the depth chart? I thought he would have a good chance to start with Collin

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa
Baah just started running 2 weeks ago. We probably don't see him play till April.

rhactl7

rhactl7

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

WOW! Thats almost a full year for a recovery..what exactly was his injury again?

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

WOW! Thats almost a full year for a recovery..what exactly was his injury again?

Broken tibia. He got hurt in early July.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users